The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 10, 2000, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

What are you guys hearing from evaluators at camps you have attended this summer? Critizism, positive feedback, new mechanics, etc.

------------------
Mr. Kelly Spann
Old Tue Jul 11, 2000, 01:00am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
lots of all of the above!! Okay so I'm still a little wet behind the ears, but I had no idea how intense and overwhelming camp could be. I learned so much and improved so much I can't believe I'm the same person. The new mechanics aren't too bad since there aren't a lot of changes this year. Also, I turned down the lessons on three-whistle mechanics, since I want to get the two-whistle more solid, first. The criticism was very helpful and answered a lot of questions I'd been wondering about. For a newly addicted referee, this was a mountain-top experience!!
By the way are we allowed to recommend certain camps here?
Old Tue Jul 11, 2000, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
First off, you can recommend whatever camp you want. This is a free country. Just remember to get your commission from the camp director when someone follows your advice:-)

As far as new mechanics go, in Colorado we are going back to the trail or center official handing the ball to the shooter on the first free throw. Now on the second free throw, I was told I was being to quick and David Hall took the ball from me and said watch this. Boy did what he do look familure from watching him on TV. What he does is look at each of the players and makes eye contact. When he has eye contact then he announces 1 to go and administers the ball.
Old Tue Jul 11, 2000, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

As for new mechanics, I've been to three camps this summer, two NCAA and one NFHS all sponsored by IAABO (how's that for acronyms). IN all three, naturally, the new mechanics basically addressed free throws and three man mechanic procedures. For free throws at the high school level and below, the trail and/or center will not enter the paint at all this year. The lead will handle everything. In three man, trail responsible for all substitions on free throws.

For NCAA men, on free throws, center enters lane, tells how many free throws will be attempted and leaves without handling the ball. NCAA women, center still administers first free throw. Also NCAA men, no long switch when a foul is committed in the frontcourt by the offensive team and the ball is going to go the other way (i.e. player control, "over-the-back", illegal screen, etc.) If the defensive team had gained control (i.e. rebound, steal, etc.) and then a foul occurs, all switches occur as they would normally. Also, on endline throw-ins in the frontcourt, no more a_ _ to the glass by the lead unless the ball is to be put in play from a spot at the three point line to the sideline. I'd have to look at my sheets but that's all I can remember for now.
Old Fri Jul 14, 2000, 09:31am

Send a message via AIM to Bradley Batt
Thumbs up

I attended the Coast to Coast Referee School for the first time last weekend. The camp was absolutely outstanding. From the on-the-court instruction, classroom talks, and video review - everything was top-notch and handled very professionally.

There is an article at eReferee about the camp (Coast to Coast Referee School) that tells more about it.

If anyone has the opportunity to attend next year (there is one more this year in Vegas, but it starts today!), I would highly recommend it - regardless of the level which you officiate.

- Brad
Old Mon Jul 17, 2000, 03:43pm
Official Forum Member

I attended the "Between the Lines" camp this past weekend and, as usual, received much benefit. The setting is high school varsity boys tourney, 2-man mechanics, with college (mostly division III and II) referees in to evaluate and instruct the referees.

Two gyms are used, and in the main gym the game is video taped, with the evaluator wearing a wireless mic, talking you through the game. (He may be in the stands, standing at the end of the court, or wherever.) This allows him or her to comment on what position they would be in given your immediate game situation, how they see the calls (good pass, good call, or you've got to get that one). During half time and timeouts they consult with you for immediate feedback (versus taped comments). Throughout the Fri-Sun format, every ref is taped for at least 4 half-games. (The camera and evaluator focus on each ref for half the game; you take home your tape for review throughout the year.) After each game the evaluator reviews key sequences (or problems) from the video with the 2 referees back in the class room.

In the second gym there are generally 3 referees, with two on the court at a time. The ref's use "hockey-substitution" for 2 on the court and 1 getting pretty quick feedback at the sideline.

For me (and a bunch of us), a major focus of the weekend was on crossing over the key as lead: when, how, to where, how long, and how this affects court coverage by both officials (since you're both on the same side now). The goal, of course, is to really clean up the post play without missing anything else.

I'll try to post some interesting "problems" we had, and after some discussion occurs, what "resolution" we were taught.
Old Thu Jul 20, 2000, 03:25am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Dixon
My major lesson at camp this year was avoiding isolation of partners and striving for teamwork by demonstrating some leadership. I think it would take me many paragraphs to fully describe what I mean. But let me illustrate this way.

I didn't have confidence in two partners (neither were college officials) in one game that I called. I attempted to encourage them to look for certain things, and remind them of certain game management concerns late in the game. Of course, I couldn't make calls for them, and I couldn't make up for their lack of experience about women's NCAA mechanics. [True--I had been a rookie once myself. So I needed to remember not to be arrogant, which during the game I think I was OK.]

Now look at this. During the critique, I was set up to answer a question, and I answered it TOO truthfully. I was asked to say how I really felt and what I truthfully thought about the game. Well, when anyone asks Jim Dixon to tell the truth, he gets it with both barrels. I was a fool. I said, among other things, “I did not have confidence in my partners.”, and “The players never really respected us.” [I had called an intentional foul and a technical foul in the second half—indicative of the need to attempt to gain control. As a crew, we never fully gained control of the game.]

Later I was given one on one advice about saying something like that—don’t! My evaluation of the game needed to be on target, but as a camper I should have let the critique of my partners come from the D1 clinician. Yeah, makes sense when I haven’t just come off the floor after a less than stellar performance on the court. But being tired, aggravated, etc., etc., after the game, I needed to show enthusiasm and certainly not be critical of partners—we were still a team until the critique was over. I fully insulted one of them, and he never talked to me the rest of the camp. The other, a person I have had more contact with, knew I wasn’t being malicious, but accepted my apology.

That was my lesson. Hope you can learn from it.

Jim Dixon

[This message has been edited by Jim Dixon (edited July 20, 2000).]