The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 01, 2005, 06:49pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jason181988 Send a message via Yahoo to jason181988
I have ordered and received all my equipment and uniforms for umpiring (live in IL, so not alot of games to do below H.S. baseball yet), and I like everything and the way it fits except for the Wilson-Davis chest protector. It fits nice, but its awfully bulky at the shoulders (and I am sure it offers great protection), but I prefer something not as bulky but something that has good protection. I look like a football player in it. Can anyone suggest a protector (not the west vest, it's overkill for the games I do {pony league, little league, AABC, etc.}) that is not bulky and fits almost unnoticably under my shirt?? Thanks for your help.

The toughest call an umpire has to make is not the half-swing; the toughest call is throwing a guy out of the game after you blew the hell out of the play.
-Johny Rice, umpire
Old Fri Apr 01, 2005, 06:56pm
Official Forum Member

OK,

Honig's K1
Old Fri Apr 01, 2005, 07:03pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with Tee. My first year I bought a +POS BB2000 Protector that made me feel like I was going to tip over half of the time. I gave the +POS to my brother the following year and bought the K1. It's light enough that you can wear it comfortably and continously all season. It's also sturdy enough for any level. Good luck.

IG3
Old Fri Apr 01, 2005, 07:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jason181988 Send a message via Yahoo to jason181988
And it's fairly thin through the shoulders correct? Not bulky and I won't look like a linebacker with it on?

The toughest call an umpire has to make is not the half-swing; the toughest call is throwing a guy out of the game after you blew the hell out of the play.
-Johny Rice, umpire
Old Fri Apr 01, 2005, 09:58pm
Official Forum Member

The Honig's K1 is very light but it is bulky. I just upgraded to it at the end of last year and it was bulkier than the other protector I had. My shirts fit tighter.

But honestly, who cares. The protector is there to keep you from getting hurt when the ball eventually hits you. Besides, the bigger you look the more intimidating you can be, the less crap your likely to take.

I wouldn't worry about how big you look. Worry about how protected you are. Most protectors are bulky, that's why they stopp baseballs from hurting you when they hit you at great speeds.
Well I am certainly wiser than this man. It is only too likely that neither of us has any knowledge to boast of; but he thinks that he knows something which he does not know, whereas I am quite conscious of my ignorance. At any rate it seems that I am wiser than he is to this small extent, that I do not think that I know what I do not know. ~Socrates
Old Fri Apr 01, 2005, 10:05pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by jason181988
And it's fairly thin through the shoulders correct? Not bulky and I won't look like a linebacker with it on?
Who cares how bulky it is? You're there to umpire, not take place in a fashion show. Get good protection.
Old Fri Apr 01, 2005, 10:17pm
Official Forum Member

If you want to look thin in the shoulders get a catcher's chest protector. And wear base shoes behind the plate too because they are less bulky and lighter than plate shoes. And there are some shin guards available that will be really light weight and not noticeable at all under your pants. And when you break a collarbone, or a toe, or a shin bone, you will wish you had bought equipment that made you look like a linebacker.
Old Fri Apr 01, 2005, 11:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jason181988
I have ordered and received all my equipment and uniforms for umpiring (live in IL, so not alot of games to do below H.S. baseball yet), and I like everything and the way it fits except for the Wilson-Davis chest protector. It fits nice, but its awfully bulky at the shoulders (and I am sure it offers great protection), but I prefer something not as bulky but something that has good protection. I look like a football player in it. Can anyone suggest a protector (not the west vest, it's overkill for the games I do {pony league, little league, AABC, etc.}) that is not bulky and fits almost unnoticably under my shirt?? Thanks for your help.
I have a WV Platinum...and I understand your concern but it really is NOT important. If youre concerned, go up a shirt size for the plate. I wear my Platinum behind the plate with the same shirt size I wear for the bases. You will appreciate the "bulky" protector when you take a real shot....trust us.
Old Sat Apr 02, 2005, 12:31am
Official Forum Member

Oh brother.

If you're worried about the thickness of your chest protector, and if it makes look big, or not, try football.
Those vertical stripes are very slimming.

Wear good gear. Don't get hurt. Me, I dig looking like RoboCop.
Old Sat Apr 02, 2005, 07:13am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
Quote:
Originally posted by kylejt
Oh brother.

If you're worried about the thickness of your chest protector, and if it makes look big, or not, try football.
Those vertical stripes are very slimming.

Wear good gear. Don't get hurt. Me, I dig looking like RoboCop.
I have to agree about the "look".. No one will think the less of you for that linebacker look when you are behind the plate. Not breaking a bone is more important to me. Depending on the grade/age you are calling, my first year calling 3rd-5th grades, I used what turned out to be a female softball catchers chest protector. It had plastic shoulder pads and cut across the belly, like a normal baseball protetor. It was good enough for that level.

DG those shin guards are called soccer shin guards 8-) You know little things that slide into your socks. Also if bulk is a problem, definetly skip using a cup.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Sat Apr 02, 2005, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

Sort of; I went down on a knee when a foul found a gap in my WV shoulder pads. From the dugout "get up you wuss, with all that padding you shouldn't go down!"
Old Sun Apr 03, 2005, 12:15am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
Quote:
Originally posted by GerryB
Sort of; I went down on a knee when a foul found a gap in my WV shoulder pads. From the dugout "get up you wuss, with all that padding you shouldn't go down!"
Ohhh sounds like someone needed to make an early trip to the parking lot.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Sun Apr 03, 2005, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

Jason,

I am second year umpire and just purchased the K1. I received it 3 days ago and have yet to use it in a game. It is extremely light and it does bulk you up a little but not too much. Like the others have stated, it will be well worth it when you take that first one off the shoulder.
Old Sun Apr 03, 2005, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Honig's K1 -- it's light, cool, won't slow you down on the run. It's all you should need through HS Varsity level.
Old Sun Apr 03, 2005, 04:04pm
Official Forum Member

Bud, buy a West Vest, or a Honig's K1, but get GOOD protection. I was calling a 10 year old game with a friend who wore an old Rawlings protector. Same as a cathers but with shoulder caps. He took a foul ball that broke his collar bone in the 3rd and I had to finish the game alone. It doesn't matter how big you look, all that matters is how well protected you are.