The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 29 votes, 4.17 average. Display Modes
Old Fri Jul 14, 2006, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias
Well, tonight I'm off on my annual pilgimage. This year our destinations are Detroit ...
Detroit? Why Detroit??

All the flights to Mogadishu booked?
Baghdad too inaccessible?
Beirut bothers your Tabbouleh allergies?
Pyongyang not your cup of tea?
Old Fri Jul 14, 2006, 01:45pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Detroit? Why Detroit??

All the flights to Mogadishu booked?
Baghdad too inaccessible?
Beirut bothers your Tabbouleh allergies?
Pyongyang not your cup of tea?
Well, Seattle is closed for the summer. And he doesn't want to go through the customs hassles that go with a trip to Chicago.
Old Fri Jul 14, 2006, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias
Well, tonight I'm off on my annual pilgimage. This year our destinations are Detroit and Toronto. No ballpark tour in Detroit, unfortunately, but we'll tour SkyDome.

You won't have me to kick around for a few days. You'll have to get your laughs somewhere else. Sorry!!
I don't care what the rest of them say - have a good time on your little trip. You certainly don't want to short yourself on the good times while you can still enjoy them. After all, seeing as many ballparks as you can is no small accomplishment. I would love to see Detroit's ballpark, although I'm sure there will be plenty of ankle-biters around since it's the weekend. I'm sure the crowd in Toronto will be smaller.

Gosh Chuck, you didn't give me much time to cram a whole weekends' worth of humor into today's post...

I hope you can squirrel away a bunch of good memories from this experience. Life is too short to let opportunities like this pass you by. Good luck; hope you get a chance to catch a couple of balls!

(Used with permission.)
Old Fri Jul 14, 2006, 03:12pm
In Memoriam

And in other news today, Mark Prior was placed on the 15 day DL.
Old Fri Jul 14, 2006, 03:19pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
I don't care what the rest of them say - have a good time on your little trip. You certainly don't want to short yourself on the good times while you can still enjoy them. After all, seeing as many ballparks as you can is no small accomplishment. I would love to see Detroit's ballpark, although I'm sure there will be plenty of ankle-biters around since it's the weekend. I'm sure the crowd in Toronto will be smaller.

Gosh Chuck, you didn't give me much time to cram a whole weekends' worth of humor into today's post...

I hope you can squirrel away a bunch of good memories from this experience. Life is too short to let opportunities like this pass you by. Good luck; hope you get a chance to catch a couple of balls!
That does it, Mister M. I'm reporting you to PETOL.
http://www.angelfire.com/movies/petol/
This discrimation against Chuck, RockyRoad and others of their kind must stop!
Old Fri Jul 14, 2006, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
And in other news today, Mark Prior was placed on the 15 day DL.
Where have you been; that's old news. That happened last week.

And at the first of the season.

And the middle of last season.

And the season before that.

I can feel Jim Hendrey's pain:

(Used with permission.)
Old Fri Jul 14, 2006, 03:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That does it, Mister M. I'm reporting you to PETOL.
http://www.angelfire.com/movies/petol/
This discrimation against Chuck, RockyRoad and others of their kind must stop!
Discrimination my azz!

I hold them in such high regard I, in fact, put them on a pedestal. (Just to be able to see them, of course...)

I'm off now to go hum Randy Newman tunes.

(Used with permission.)
Old Fri Jul 14, 2006, 03:37pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Where have you been; that's old news. That happened last week.

And at the first of the season.

And the middle of last season.

And the season before that.
Well to be fully accurate, Prior was on the DL from the start of this season until June 18th., and he officially went back on the DL today. So....he did have a little better than a 3-week season this year.
Old Fri Jul 14, 2006, 04:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Well to be fully accurate, Prior was on the DL from the start of this season until June 18th., and he officially went back on the DL today. So....he did have a little better than a 3-week season this year.
Arrghh!

Leave me alone!

Chuck?! Where are you?! Please come back! I need you occupy JR's mind! It won't take much, I promise! Chuck!?...

Sigh...

(Used with permission.)
Old Fri Jul 14, 2006, 06:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Arrghh!

Leave me alone!

Chuck?! Where are you?! Please come back! I need you occupy JR's mind! It won't take much, I promise! Chuck!?...

Sigh...
We can talk about JR's wee-knee-ectomy. That will keep him occupied searching google for pictures of big hoses.

Of course he needs to go to google to see a hose that aint tiny...but that's another thread, aint it??
Old Fri Jul 14, 2006, 08:13pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
We can talk about JR's wee-knee-ectomy. That will keep him occupied searching google for pictures of big hoses.
Or we can talk about your up-coming orchidectomy. I'll start searching Google for pinking shears.
Old Sat Jul 15, 2006, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Or we can talk about your up-coming orchidectomy. I'll start searching Google for pinking shears.
Nuts to you I say.
Old Sat Jul 15, 2006, 06:09pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Nuts to you I say.
Didn't work.
I'm still couldn't make 2nd tenor.
Old Sat Jul 15, 2006, 07:21pm
Official Forum Member

Ok, here's one for Chuck.

Last night the Braves and the Padres played a wild one. Atlanta had leads of 5-1, 8-5, 11-9, and 12-11, yet blew each of them. The Padres lead briefly at 9-8. Atlanta finally won it 15-12 in 11 innings.

Amazingly, Jorge Sosa, the Braves latest attempt at a closer, blew both the 11-9 and 12-11 leads in the 9th and 10th innings respectively.

Now since you like quirky baseball stats I thought that you might like to know that despite this he only gets one blown save. According to MLB it is not possible for the same pitcher to blow two saves in the same game!

The reason is that once he blows the first save opportunity he becomes the pitcher of record, and if his team retakes the lead, he is merely giving away his own win. You can't save your own win.

Of course, all the fans know that he blew it twice.
Old Sat Jul 15, 2006, 09:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Ok, here's one for Chuck.

Last night the Braves and the Padres played a wild one. Atlanta had leads of 5-1, 8-5, 11-9, and 12-11, yet blew each of them. The Padres lead briefly at 9-8. Atlanta finally won it 15-12 in 11 innings.

Amazingly, Jorge Sosa, the Braves latest attempt at a closer, blew both the 11-9 and 12-11 leads in the 9th and 10th innings respectively.

Now since you like quirky baseball stats I thought that you might like to know that despite this he only gets one blown save. According to MLB it is not possible for the same pitcher to blow two saves in the same game!

The reason is that once he blows the first save opportunity he becomes the pitcher of record, and if his team retakes the lead, he is merely giving away his own win. You can't save your own win.

Of course, all the fans know that he blew it twice.
Nevada, leave it to you to find the quirky stuff.

I heard another quirky thing happened last night in the Giants/Phillies game. The Giants outfield was Bonds, Finley and Alou, the first time 3 40+ year olds started in an outfield in baseball history.

And, speaking of Alou, I believe sometime back in the 60's, there was a Giants team where 3 brothers played in the outfield at the same time - Felipe, Jesus, and Matty Alou.

And, even lesser known, was the 4th brother - Boog.

I'll back off now.

(Used with permission.)
Closed Thread