The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 29 votes, 4.17 average. Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 11, 2006, 12:27am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
“It is absolutely not true,” Materazzi said. “I did not call him a terrorist. I’m ignorant. I don’t even know what the word means. The whole world saw what happened on live TV.”

That's the quote from Chuck's article that's interesting. Has overtones of, "Uh, uh, I never touched her!!" Yea, right.

I also noticed it said that Zidane's been sent off 14 times. The commentator on TV after the game said that he'd actually jumped on the back of an opponent who was lying on the ground, already injured. Wow.
Old Tue Jul 11, 2006, 12:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
HE CALLED ME A TERRORIST!!! So I....headbutt him in the chest....in public...in front of 2 billion viewrs...but I'm not a terrorist...I'm just sensitive. BTW, did we win??

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...263995,00.html
My wife and I went to see X-Men III (can't remember the sub-title) tonite. Twice Xers headbutted other Xers. Both times time I turned to my wife and said "He could be a French soccer player". Thank you Zizou for at least a year's worth of bad lines.
Old Tue Jul 11, 2006, 07:54am
In Memoriam

Quote:
HE CALLED ME A TERRORIST!!! So I....headbutt him in the chest....in public...in front of 2 billion viewrs...but I'm not a terrorist...I'm just sensitive. BTW, did we win??

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...263995,00.html
Well.....if it's any consolation, Zizou did win the Golden Ball Award.

Personally, I voted for Ron Jeremy.
Old Tue Jul 11, 2006, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Does anyone watch the Home Run Derby? Or has it become the equivalent of the Slam Dunk competition?

Anybody gonna watch the All-Star game?
Old Tue Jul 11, 2006, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias
Does anyone watch the Home Run Derby? Or has it become the equivalent of the Slam Dunk competition?
Don't say that - it's not the equivalent. The Slam Dunk "competition" has become just an exhibition because it's judged the same as figure skating, boxing, and synchronized swimming; it's all subjective. Maybe it's just my simple mind, but give me a good, easy way to judge: it's a home run, or it isn't. And if you hit 10 that aren't, you're done. That to me makes it a competition. Not like the Slam Dunk where you get to keep trying till you make it, no matter how many times it takes you.

Quote:
Yep, it's still entertaining for me, because there are still players that want to be there. And of course, this time it means something!

(Used with permission.)
Old Tue Jul 11, 2006, 10:13am
In Memoriam

Quote:

No.

Yes.

Maybe.
Old Tue Jul 11, 2006, 10:19am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
Maybe it's just my simple mind, but give me a good, easy way to judge: it's a home run, or it isn't. And if you hit 10 that aren't, you're done. That to me makes it a competition. Not like the Slam Dunk where you get to keep trying till you make it, no matter how many times it takes you.
You mean like the Slam-Dunk winner that took 47 attempts before finally making one? The NBA.....Fantaaaastic.....

Back to beisbol.....um, simple-minded, naive M&M, didya ever wonder about Sammy winning the home run contest with a corked bat? Or anyone else, for that matter?
Old Tue Jul 11, 2006, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
You mean like the Slam-Dunk winner that took 47 attempts before finally making one? The NBA.....Fantaaaastic.....

Back to beisbol.....um, simple-minded, naive M&M, didya ever wonder about Sammy winning the home run contest with a corked bat? Or anyone else, for that matter?
Hey, Sammy admitted to using the corked bat for batting practice, and he used a batting practice pitcher for the competition, right? Same difference.
(I may be simple-minded and naive, but I'm not stoopid...)

Speaking of batting practice pitchers, I believe the competitors get to choose who they want to throw to them, and I thought I heard the guy that threw to last year's winner was chosen by 4 of this year's competitors. He probably threw 200 pitches by the time the evening was done. (In fact, as he was walking off the field I saw him asking for the Cubs' team doctor...)

(Used with permission.)
Old Tue Jul 11, 2006, 11:13pm
M.A.S.H.

So... Trevor Hoffman... the real All-Star MVP??? (Grrrrrrr)
Old Wed Jul 12, 2006, 08:31am
Official Forum Member

Two strikes; two outs; two on. . . two RBI triple!

Red Sox have home field advantage for the World Series again!! Woo-hoo!!
Old Wed Jul 12, 2006, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Two strikes; two outs; two on. . . two RBI triple!
Too much heartburn...

Quote:
Red Sox have home field advantage for the World Series again!! Woo-hoo!!
Chuck - I fixed the color of the Sox for you...

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Jul 12, 2006, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

You think the White Sox can go back-to-back? Come on. You think these guys are the '98-'00 Yankees?
Old Wed Jul 12, 2006, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You think the White Sox can go back-to-back? Come on. You think these guys are the '98-'00 Yankees?
Believe me, I'm not a White Sox apologist. I cringe when I see Ozzy smiling afer a game. But how can you argue with their pitching staff? You could make the arguement that any one of them could be a #1 on most other staffs. And the offense isn't bad either. No offense to mick's Tigers, but the White Sox have been here before, so they probably have a better shot at not folding in the second half. So, barring the injuries, is there a better team, position by position, out there right now?

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Jul 12, 2006, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
Believe me, I'm not a White Sox apologist. I cringe when I see Ozzy smiling afer a game.
I think he was smiling because he had a dinner date with Jay Mariotti.
Old Wed Jul 12, 2006, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I think he was smiling because he had a dinner date with Jay Mariotti.
I would pay real money to sit at that table...

(Used with permission.)
Closed Thread