The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average. Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 28, 2006, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

New POE for next year?

OK so we've had the "No Jersey Popping Allowed" POE this year. Can I make a suggestion that next years' POE's include "No Screaming After a Dunk/Blocked Shot/Rebound/Made FG" - I'll call it the "Joakim Noah - AAAAAAHHHHH! Rule".

That kid is exceptionally talented, but he screams after every single play he makes on the floor!!!!

It drives me crazy....it makes me want to scream AAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!

Who's with me?
Old Tue Mar 28, 2006, 02:40pm
MABO Member

I'm with ya. Its starting to sound like a tennis match.

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Tue Mar 28, 2006, 02:51pm
Do not give a damn!!

I do not disagree with you Jeff at all. I think there are already rules in place to give the officials some leeway to make that decision. I do not think we need a POE to make this call. I have yet to have a kid to this in a game but I know it would not go unattended to.

Peace
Old Tue Mar 28, 2006, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

IMHO, POE not needed. If the official thinks it's unsporting, he/she could call a taunting technical foul. Talking to the kid the first time he does it might help. Telling the coach that it would be a T if you see it again would certainly work. It's just too bad that the kid's coach doesn't have the good sense to handle it so that a ref would never have to see it.

Z
Old Tue Mar 28, 2006, 04:43pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpea
OK so we've had the "No Jersey Popping Allowed" POE this year. Can I make a suggestion that next years' POE's include "No Screaming After a Dunk/Blocked Shot/Rebound/Made FG" - I'll call it the "Joakim Noah - AAAAAAHHHHH! Rule".

That kid is exceptionally talented, but he screams after every single play he makes on the floor!!!!

Who's with me?
Already covered in FED ball imo.....

From the 2003-04 POE's-- "Further, the committee is concerned with the trend towards 'playing to the crowd', attempting to increase attention and praise for their own individual accomplishments rather than towards the game itself, and team achievements".

You can use that to take care of bidness if you feel that there's a problem there. Probably best to use a quiet "cut that sh!t out" first imo.

NCAA? You do what your supervisors tell you to do- unless you're one of the "Officiating Gods".
Old Tue Mar 28, 2006, 04:47pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee

From the 2003-04 POE's-- "Further, the committee is concerned with the trend towards 'playing to the crowd', attempting to increase attention and praise for their own individual accomplishments rather than towards the game itself, and team achievements".

You can use that to take care of bidness if you feel that there's a problem there. Probably best to use a quiet "cut that sh!t out" first imo.

NCAA? You do what your supervisors tell you to do- unless you're one of the "Officiating Gods".
WHAT??!!

You say sh!t to the little sh1ts??!!!

That's just wrong...maybe I'll start a new poll on this, waddya think?
Old Tue Mar 28, 2006, 04:48pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
I think there are already rules in place
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
You're both right obviously. It's covered in the rules. But so is traveling, and somehow, that ends up being a point of emphasis, right? Palming is covered in the rules, but that was a POE this year in NCAA.

The fact that it's covered in the rules has nothing to do with whether or not a POE is issued. The POE is for rules that are not being enforced correctly or consistently. This might fall into that category.
Old Tue Mar 28, 2006, 05:18pm
Official Forum Member

Chuck, you took the words right out of my mouth. ALL the POE's are in the rules. They're called Points of Emphasis - not "new rules".

If I could figure out how to cut and paste - I'd copy the picture from the www.espn.com homepage right now.....there he is in all of his screaming glory!
Old Tue Mar 28, 2006, 05:56pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:

Who's with me?
Good thing you are not at the Bridge of Peril. By the way, what is your favorite color?

Last edited by 26 Year Gap; Tue Mar 28, 2006 at 05:58pm.
Old Tue Mar 28, 2006, 06:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap
Good thing you are not at the Bridge of Peril. By the way, what is your favorite color?
Not sure what the Bridge of Peril is - but my favorite color is whatever you're wearing.... Well, OK - it's red.
Old Tue Mar 28, 2006, 06:33pm
Official Forum Member

So, here's what I'd love to happen......sometime on saturday or even perhaps on monday night just when the outcome of the game hasn't been decided, young Mr. Noah screams to the heavens in typical fashion thus resulting in a big whack from one of the officials. The resulting made free throws would cost UF the game in the waning moments and there would be much rejoicing! I hate the Gators!!
Also, why is it you see carries, travelling, displacements, and rough post play called during the regular season but come Big Dance time it seems as if a memo was generated forbidding such offenses to be whistled. Shouldn't come as a surprise, I guess.....
Old Tue Mar 28, 2006, 06:44pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias
You're both right obviously. It's covered in the rules. But so is traveling, and somehow, that ends up being a point of emphasis, right? Palming is covered in the rules, but that was a POE this year in NCAA.

The fact that it's covered in the rules has nothing to do with whether or not a POE is issued. The POE is for rules that are not being enforced correctly or consistently. This might fall into that category.
I realize that, but I do not see this as a big problem or something that has to be pointed out so that officials take action. Now the POE for taking out the jersey and those situations needed to be stated because it was something new in the past few years. I do not see that much dunking and seeing players yelling at the top of the lungs.

Peace
Old Tue Mar 28, 2006, 07:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
I realize that, but I do not see this as a big problem or something that has to be pointed out so that officials take action. Now the POE for taking out the jersey and those situations needed to be stated because it was something new in the past few years. I do not see that much dunking and seeing players yelling at the top of the lungs.

Peace
__________________________________________________ _
Rut,
Gotta agree and disagree with you. I don't see it as a big problem -- yet, but I think if it became a POE now (to quote the immortal Barney Fife) it would, "Nip it in the bud!" I also think they need to address players yelling at the shooter when going up for the shot after being beaten on a breakaway, etc. It's playground nonsense that needs to be stopped.
Old Tue Mar 28, 2006, 09:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Chuck, you took the words right out of my mouth. ALL the POE's are in the rules. They're called Points of Emphasis - not "new rules".

If I could figure out how to cut and paste - I'd copy the picture from the www.espn.com homepage right now.....there he is in all of his screaming glory!

Old Tue Mar 28, 2006, 10:47pm
Official Forum Member

time2ref - what you posted was different from I saw on the main page (they may have removed it). It was classic Noah - on his way back to the floor after a dunk - screaming while flexing....

Thanks for the help though.