The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 24, 2006, 01:32am
Official Forum Member

Rules Queston

I was playing in an intramural game and had a question about a call. A player on the other team got a defensive rebound and I came from behind and hit it out of his hands. The ball bounced and stayed in bounds. I went out of bounds, jumped back in, planted both feet therefore establishing position and then picked up the ball that had been bouncing untouched near the sideline. Is this a violation??? It was called a turnover in the game.
Old Fri Mar 24, 2006, 02:14am
Official Forum Member

Did you go out intentionally?
Old Fri Mar 24, 2006, 02:38am
Keeper of the HAMMER

You only need to have one foot down in bounds, as long as the other foot isn't touching out of bounds, to establish position. Two feet are not required.
The only way this is a violation is if the ref determined you went out of bounds purposefully rather than by momentum.
That said, it's possible the ref has the rule wrong. Not much you can do about it, though, during the game. Not much you can do after the game, either, unless you're buddies with him.
Old Fri Mar 24, 2006, 05:18pm
Official Forum Member

So you're saying that if my momentum carried me out and I reestablished position, that there is no violation? Basically...it's the exact same thing as if this had happened in the open court. I hit the ball out of the defenders hands from behind...the ball bounced a few feet away...I walked up and got to the ball first w/o anyone touching it...no violation. i reestablished myself meaning the 2 situations are identical?
Old Fri Mar 24, 2006, 06:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonziBasketball
I was playing in an intramural game and had a question about a call. A player on the other team got a defensive rebound and I came from behind and hit it out of his hands. The ball bounced and stayed in bounds. I went out of bounds, jumped back in, planted both feet therefore establishing position and then picked up the ball that had been bouncing untouched near the sideline. Is this a violation??? It was called a turnover in the game.

If you were the last person to touch the ball before you went out of bounds, you cannot be the first to touch the ball. This was probably the interpretation on the play in question.
Old Fri Mar 24, 2006, 06:23pm
I got a Basketball Jones!

Quote:
Originally Posted by icallfouls
If you were the last person to touch the ball before you went out of bounds, you cannot be the first to touch the ball. This was probably the interpretation on the play in question.
Ahem.........cough,cough
Old Fri Mar 24, 2006, 08:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Make sure to throw your hat at the spot where the player left the FIELD.
Old Fri Mar 24, 2006, 08:33pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindzebra
Make sure to throw your hat at the spot where the player left the FIELD.
ROTFLMAO!
Old Fri Mar 24, 2006, 08:35pm
Official Forum Member

Nfhs

Quote:
NOT TRUE!!

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri Mar 24, 2006, 08:36pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Thumbs down

Quote:

I'll say it since no one else has, yet.

While this may be the interpretation the ref used in making the call, he's wrong to make it unless this IM league is playing by NCAA women's rules. I've seen other-wise good refs make this call (in hs rules), but it's no less wrong.
Old Fri Mar 24, 2006, 09:12pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
While this may be the interpretation the ref used in making the call, he's wrong to make it unless this IM league is playing by NCAA women's rules.
I know there are a lot of differences between the men's and women's games, but this isn't one of them, is it?
Old Fri Mar 24, 2006, 09:15pm
Official Forum Member

Let's not forget this is an Intramural referee and may not have necessarily someone whose undergone the same training as us.

Alternatively, this ref may have seen or thought he'd seen one of your feet still out-of-bounds and called you out of bounds.
Old Fri Mar 24, 2006, 09:44pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias
I know there are a lot of differences between the men's and women's games, but this isn't one of them, is it?
I'm completely willing to retract my statement. Is it a college rule in general?
Old Fri Mar 24, 2006, 10:32pm
Do not give a damn!!

NF--Not true at all.

Quote:
This is not true as it relates to NF rules at all. This would only slightly be true at the NCAA level if you rule the player went out of bounds to gain an advantage and then touched the ball. Only then would a violation be even warranted. If the player accidentally went out of bounds (momentum takes them out of bounds), then they are allowed to touch the ball at any time as long as they first establish themselves inbounds.

Peace
Old Sat Mar 25, 2006, 03:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
This is not true as it relates to NF rules at all. This would only slightly be true at the NCAA level if you rule the player went out of bounds to gain an advantage and then touched the ball. Only then would a violation be even warranted. If the player accidentally went out of bounds (momentum takes them out of bounds), then they are allowed to touch the ball at any time as long as they first establish themselves inbounds.

Peace
The NCAA rule refers to being the last to POSSESS and the first to touch. (illegal)