The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 18, 2006, 09:07am
Official Forum Member

Question

Watching boys Varsity game last night and the official hands the ball to our opponent for a free throw. Player takes a couple of dribbles , gets ready to shoot and the official blows the whistle. Official says that the players foot was over the free throw line and give us the ball. Opposing coach is questioning the official and he indicates that the players foot was over the line. Isn't the violation when the player shoots the ball and has their foot over the line ( not just dribbling the ball ) ?

Thanks
Old Sat Feb 18, 2006, 12:29pm
In Memoriam

Adfter the free-throw shooter has received the ball from the administering official, it is a violation if he/she then steps on or over any line - the free-throw line or the free-throw semicircle line- anytime before the ball hits the ring or backboard or the free-throw ends.
Old Sun Feb 19, 2006, 08:49am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the info

Tip
Old Mon Feb 20, 2006, 01:43am
Official Forum Member

TWEET! "We're going the other way" as I point to the line and then the opposite direction. He/she will never do it again.
Old Mon Feb 20, 2006, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

And I wish y'all would call 3 seconds when the offensive player is by the free throw line and the lane line and his shoe lace is touching the line. This is a call I seldom seen made, and I don't know why you don't enforce it.

I believe there is a case where the shooter loses control of the ball, and steps over the line. I believe casebook states the referee should blow the whistle and restart, and not necessarily call the violation.

Old Mon Feb 20, 2006, 06:11pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

I understand the book rule for this situation, but what advantage did the shooter gain by sliding his foot past the line while dribbling, but then have it behind the line when he is ready to shoot? I would probably use a little preventative officiating by not calling the violation, and quietly tell the shooter to remain behind the line. A call like that is what drives coaches nuts!!!
Old Mon Feb 20, 2006, 06:40pm
Official Forum Member

The advantage gained by this action is possibly a point or the game. If indeed it was a violation, if the shooter stepped over the line because of an ill fated pass from the official then you would allow the shooter to reset and readminister the free throw. If the violation is strickly the fault of the shooter then call it. Do you allow a person inbounding the pass to step over the line? Consistancy is the key.
Old Mon Feb 20, 2006, 07:34pm
Official Forum Member

I'm with WIRef here...there's being a "book" official and a "real" official that separates the top refs from ones that stay mediocre. I don't know, but has anyone been to a camp where the clinicians tell you to call a toe over the line? I haven't, but I've certainly been to several that say to pass on that call.

A common term used in reffing is being "overly officious." Calling a toe over the line falls into that definition. A full step may be different, but I'd still warn in that case...especially for only a varsity game. Highschool kids are going to make mistakes without you pointing it out to the gym. Pull him/her aside and have a word...I assure you that this kid won't go over the line again even with a softer intervention.
Old Mon Feb 20, 2006, 07:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dribble
I'm with WIRef here...there's being a "book" official and a "real" official that separates the top refs from ones that stay mediocre. I don't know, but has anyone been to a camp where the clinicians tell you to call a toe over the line? I haven't, but I've certainly been to several that say to pass on that call.

A common term used in reffing is being "overly officious." Calling a toe over the line falls into that definition. A full step may be different, but I'd still warn in that case...especially for only a varsity game. Highschool kids are going to make mistakes without you pointing it out to the gym. Pull him/her aside and have a word...I assure you that this kid won't go over the line again even with a softer intervention.
The lines are part of the lane. The free throw shooter can't be touching the line, much less going over it. How much incursion is too much?
Old Mon Feb 20, 2006, 08:01pm
Official Forum Member

Just simply, it's the judgment of the official that makes him/her great. That official will be able to judge in that given situation what "too much" is.

For instance, if after you talked to the player he still puts his foot over the line (for argument's sake, even less than before) you may wish to call a violation now because he's disregarded your advice. If the coach goes off, then you have the wildcard in your back pocket to say that you'd already warned before and already gave your team a break. Now here's where your judgment comes in...you may NOT wish to call a violation in that exact same situation because it's an even less obvious infraction from before.

In essence, there's no magic point obviously which dictates that the player violated. By definition, obviously he violated the moment his foot went over the line while dribbling the ball. You need to simply exercise your discretion on possible minute violations. Does that extra 1-3" really create that much of an advantage when shooting a free throw from fifteen FEET away? Essentially, it could be the difference between a made basket and a clang off the rim, but if I'm the only one in the gym that saw that, then it's going to stay that way.

Everyone isn't an NCAA/NBA offical who has years of experience to draw from, but if you'd like to get to that level you have to start demonstrating the appropriate discipline given the particulars of the game at that time. Unless it's egregious, you're not seeing one of those refs make this call.
Old Mon Feb 20, 2006, 08:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Just simply, it's the judgment of the official that makes him/her great. That official will be able to judge in that given situation what "too much" is.

For instance, if after you talked to the player he still puts his foot over the line (for argument's sake, even less than before) you may wish to call a violation now because he's disregarded your advice. If the coach goes off, then you have the wildcard in your back pocket to say that you'd already warned before and already gave your team a break. Now here's where your judgment comes in...you may NOT wish to call a violation in that exact same situation because it's an even less obvious infraction from before.

In essence, there's no magic point obviously which dictates that the player violated. By definition, obviously he violated the moment his foot went over the line while dribbling the ball. You need to simply exercise your discretion on possible minute violations. Does that extra 1-3" really create that much of an advantage when shooting a free throw from fifteen FEET away? Essentially, it could be the difference between a made basket and a clang off the rim, but if I'm the only one in the gym that saw that, then it's going to stay that way.

Everyone isn't an NCAA/NBA offical who has years of experience to draw from, but if you'd like to get to that level you have to start demonstrating the appropriate discipline given the particulars of the game at that time. Unless it's egregious, you're not seeing one of those refs make this call.
"Essentially, it could be the difference between a made basket and a clang off the rim, but if I'm the only one in the gym that saw that, then it's going to stay that way."

If it's the first half, there's a real good chance the other coach is going to see it.
Old Mon Feb 20, 2006, 08:50pm
Official Forum Member

Fair enough...that's your judgment and I respect that.
Old Mon Feb 20, 2006, 09:06pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by WIRef
I understand the book rule for this situation, but what advantage did the shooter gain by sliding his foot past the line while dribbling, but then have it behind the line when he is ready to shoot? I would probably use a little preventative officiating by not calling the violation, and quietly tell the shooter to remain behind the line. A call like that is what drives coaches nuts!!!
well, it'll drive one coach nuts- fer sure- if you don't call it. The coach of the team that you just screwed. And I don't blame him for going nuts.

It's a violation that everybody in the gym can see. It's no different than a player with the ball stepping on a boundary line, or a player with the ball in the front court stepping backward onto the division line. There's no judgement involved in these calls at all. There's also certainly no "preventive officiating" involved either. Do you warn dribblers not to step on a side line?

Adavantage/disadvantage does not apply to a basic violation that everyone in the gym can see. Never has. Never will.

Bad advice imo.
Old Mon Feb 20, 2006, 09:11pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

O.K. for arguments sake lets say you and the opposing coach are the only twopeople in the gym that see the violation. What do you say to the coach when you opt to pass on that call.
Old Mon Feb 20, 2006, 09:12pm
In Memoriam

Quote:

Everyone isn't an NCAA/NBA offical who has years of experience to draw from, but if you'd like to get to that level you have to start demonstrating the appropriate discipline given the particulars of the game at that time. Unless it's egregious, you're not seeing one of those refs make this call. [/B]
I disagree with that statement completely. If someone steps over the line, they call it. The films never lie.