The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 25, 2006, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

No One Has Answered This Aspect...

Quote:
Originally posted by IdahoRef
After a night's rest, I wake up this morning and read a few posts and I must ask the question (please remember I'm just a new official seeking to be one who calls a good and fair game), if you do not call freethrow lane violations, then do you guys pass on calling some OOB violations?

I agree that there is no "advantage" having one's foot a 1/4 inch over the FT line. THEN do I no call when someone steps OOB by a 1/4 inch? (I see no advantage by a player getting away with this, but I have always called ALL OOB violations)

Am I making a mole hill a mountain?

I WANT NO PART in being a guy looking for the "letter of the law" violations. I want to serve both the kids, coaches, and parents and do a great job of officiating. ARE YOU GUYS TELLING ME ONE SHOULD NEVER CALL THIS VIOLATION? I appreciate you helping me get better. Thanks!
Old Sat Feb 25, 2006, 04:10pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Out of bounds is out of bounds. It's live action play. It's far different than a free throw where the ball isn't even being shot.
Old Sun Feb 26, 2006, 04:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
After a night's rest, I wake up this morning and read a few posts and I must ask the question (please remember I'm just a new official seeking to be one who calls a good and fair game), if you do not call freethrow lane violations, then do you guys pass on calling some OOB violations?

I agree that there is no "advantage" having one's foot a 1/4 inch over the FT line. THEN do I no call when someone steps OOB by a 1/4 inch? (I see no advantage by a player getting away with this, but I have always called ALL OOB violations)

Am I making a mole hill a mountain?

I WANT NO PART in being a guy looking for the "letter of the law" violations. I want to serve both the kids, coaches, and parents and do a great job of officiating. ARE YOU GUYS TELLING ME ONE SHOULD NEVER CALL THIS VIOLATION? I appreciate you helping me get better. Thanks!
Well, I am someone who does try to call by the rules as they are written, and I try not to pass on things that will show up on tape, so I am probably not the best person to give you an explanation, however here is what makes sense to me.

The advantage gained by the player touching OOB is that this player used more of the court than is allowed while trying to execute offensive maneuvers against a team playing defense. Forcing the defense to defend a greater area or using more space is an advantage to the offense.

During a FT there is by definition NO defense allowed. That is why it is defined as an unhindered try for goal. If the player momentarily is not exactly where he should be, but does get into proper position before attempting the throw, then it is hard to say that an advantage was gained over the defense by being in this earlier location.

I could see passing on a player having a toe on the FT line, since it is close and depending upon the camera angle may not show up well. However, being across that line is going to be quite clear on a video and the official is not going to have a quality defense for failing to make that call.

Officiating advice that many have said and heard is to call the obvious.