View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 20, 2006, 09:06pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by WIRef
I understand the book rule for this situation, but what advantage did the shooter gain by sliding his foot past the line while dribbling, but then have it behind the line when he is ready to shoot? I would probably use a little preventative officiating by not calling the violation, and quietly tell the shooter to remain behind the line. A call like that is what drives coaches nuts!!!
well, it'll drive one coach nuts- fer sure- if you don't call it. The coach of the team that you just screwed. And I don't blame him for going nuts.

It's a violation that everybody in the gym can see. It's no different than a player with the ball stepping on a boundary line, or a player with the ball in the front court stepping backward onto the division line. There's no judgement involved in these calls at all. There's also certainly no "preventive officiating" involved either. Do you warn dribblers not to step on a side line?

Adavantage/disadvantage does not apply to a basic violation that everyone in the gym can see. Never has. Never will.

Bad advice imo.