The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 17, 2006, 11:21pm
Official Forum Member

Team A is awarded a one and one on the sixth team foul of B1. Mistake is discovered after the first free throw(which was missed). Does Team A get the ball back where they should have had the free throw not taken place?
Old Wed Jan 18, 2006, 12:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by OFISHE8
Team A is awarded a one and one on the sixth team foul of B1. Mistake is discovered after the first free throw(which was missed). Does Team A get the ball back where they should have had the free throw not taken place?
Yes, this is correctable under rule 2-10. Play shall resume from the point of interruption.
Old Wed Jan 18, 2006, 01:52am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by truerookie
Quote:
Yes, this is correctable under rule 2-10. Play shall resume from the point of interruption.
Way too simplistic of an answer, truerookie. The error is correctable, yes, but the resumption depends on some factors which we haven't yet been told. The first free throw was missed, and then was it rebounded? and did play continue until the discovery of the error? The answers will affect the resumption.
Old Wed Jan 18, 2006, 04:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Rainmaker, look again closely at the specific question asked. The answer is simply NO. The game is continued from the POI. Whichever team rebounded the miss gets a throw-in from the nearest OOB spot. If neither team had gained control from the miss when the game was stopped due to the recognition of the error, then the AP arrow is used to determine possession.

Either way the game does not revert back to a throw-in by Team A from the position of the foul by B1.

Although, we don't have enough info to determine what the correct restart is, and you correctly detailed the what ifs, that wasn't what the OP asked, we do have enough info to answer the question that was asked.

So again that answer is a simplistic NO.

Old Wed Jan 18, 2006, 07:56am
Official Forum Member

Nevadaref & rainmaker,

I believe I understand now. The shot was missed and rebounded. The error discovered. The OP did not say who rebounded the ball. This is why it is no.

I initially viewed it at as Team A being awarded an unmerited ft (at 6 instead of 7)which in turn is correctable.
Old Wed Jan 18, 2006, 08:22am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Nevadaref & rainmaker,

I believe I understand now. The shot was missed and rebounded. The error discovered. The OP did not say who rebounded the ball. This is why it is no.

I initially viewed it at as Team A being awarded an unmerited ft (at 6 instead of 7)which in turn is correctable.
It is a case of team A being awarded a unmerited FT and thus it is a correctible error. Your initial view was right iow. The officials used rule 2-10-1(b) as a basis to correct the error. What Nevada is telling you is the proper way to now correct that error.

The answer was a "no" because correcting the error does not automatically give team A the ball back at the spot where the foul occurred as if no FT had happened, as OFISHE8 asked. The error is corrected as per rule 2-10-4&6, which says you cancel the FT that was taken, and you then resume play at the POI at the time the error was rectified. That POI was when the whistle was blown after the FT was missed. Rainmaker told you that additional info was needed and then Nevada laid out the different options in the correction, dependant on what team had the ball when the whistle was blown or whether there was no possession when the whistle was blown.

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on Jan 18th, 2006 at 08:29 AM]
Old Wed Jan 18, 2006, 08:29am
Official Forum Member

Here is a new wrinkle, the administrating official of the unmerited free throw announces "two shots" instead of one and one. The free throw misses and the official comes into the lane and grabs the ball to administer the second free throw. Trail blows his whistle and the errors are realized at this point. So we have an umerited free throw by Team A and a wrong amount of free throws administered. What happens next?
Old Wed Jan 18, 2006, 08:32am
Official Forum Member

So, A not only doesn't get a free throw, they don't even get the ball back. I know that's the rule, but, in your sense of fair play, doesn't that seem unjust?
Old Wed Jan 18, 2006, 08:52am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Here is a new wrinkle, the administrating official of the unmerited free throw announces "two shots" instead of one and one. The free throw misses and the official comes into the lane and grabs the ball to administer the second free throw. Trail blows his whistle and the errors are realized at this point. So we have an umerited free throw by Team A and a wrong amount of free throws administered. What happens next?
You just correct the unmerited FT, as above. Neither team had control at the POI of the correction----> so you go to an AP. The other wrinkle is an inconsequential official's error that really has no relevancy to the correction. The correction would be handled the same even if the officals had allowed a second FT also after the missed first FT. Cancel all FT's and go to the POI.
Old Wed Jan 18, 2006, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Nevadaref & rainmaker,

It is a case of team A being awarded a unmerited FT and thus it is a correctible error. Your initial view was right iow. The officials used rule 2-10-1(b) as a basis to correct the error. What Nevada is telling you is the proper way to now correct that error.

The answer was a "no" because correcting the error does not automatically give team A the ball back at the spot where the foul occurred as if no FT had happened, as OFISHE8 asked. The error is corrected as per rule 2-10-4&6, which says you cancel the FT that was taken, and you then resume play at the POI at the time the error was rectified. That POI was when the whistle was blown after the FT was missed. Rainmaker told you that additional info was needed and then Nevada laid out the different options in the correction, dependant on what team had the ball when the whistle was blown or whether there was no possession when the whistle was blown.

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on Jan 18th, 2006 at 08:29 AM]
Jurassic Referee,
thanks, the poi come into play when the whistle was blown dead. Thus, the information rainmaker stated was needed. Nevada, provided the options. I understand mo better now.
Old Wed Jan 18, 2006, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by FrankHtown
So, A not only doesn't get a free throw, they don't even get the ball back. I know that's the rule, but, in your sense of fair play, doesn't that seem unjust?
IMO, the correctable error rule is written to encourage *both* teams to be vigilant and to avoid the error. What might look like an advantage (hey, the ref is letting us shoot FTs), can quickly turn to a disadvantage (we don't get the points and we don't get the ball).