The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 08, 2005, 07:16am
Official Forum Member

"T" the coach for calling a timeout???? Although seldom accused of this myself, I'd say maybe you're thinking too much.

Had a situation last week where working 3 person I had to reach through the lane for a clear hack. Both of my partners were straightlined, so I had to get the whistle. Coach (naturally) met me at the table when I reported and simply asked why the offical closest didn't have a whistle. I replied I did not know, but also asked the coach if she would disagree with the call. She paused a bit and replied that the call was correct, in fact easy; she was just wondering why no other whistle. I replied that we (the coach and I) had the best angle in the house and the other officials were perhaps straightlined. She smiled a bit, especially when I asked if she was going to explain the situation to the student body section that was now wearing me out. She chuckled and declined stating, "I know you can handle it". Couldn't help but smile back.

Reinforced to me that the better coaches know and somewhat understand the official's perspective at times and that, afterall, we're there to officiate the contest - not necessarily be loved and admired by all.
Old Thu Dec 08, 2005, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by missinglink
Quote:

At the end of my first year reffing, one set of women's D1 games was played here in Portland (Oregon). I went, of course, and loved every minute of it. By chance I bumped into a couple of women refs from our association who had a lot of experience, and got to ask several questions.

In the program, was a biography and interview of/with Melissa Barlow. The headline was "You've got to love it when they boo..." and in the article, she talked about her first all-crowd boo, and how it affected her and her thoughts.

Since then, I've had one or two all-crowd boos, but I haven't always handled them very well. They've cut into my self-confidence and made me question myself.

But tonight I had not one, but three! And none of them left me even remotely frazzled. I knew I was absolutely right on all three, and that the crowd was simply being ill-informed fans.

It felt great to (a) get the boo, and (b) love it!!

Now, can I be the back up for Melissa Barlow?!?!

a few years ago, BV cross-town rival game and home team is up by 15 early in 4th quarter. Their star has had two or three breakaway jams that has the student section and the whole crowd in ecstacy. Another breakaway heads away from me (2 man, T) and stud jams it home, does a two hand pull-up on the ring and flange for flash. Whack, and the crowd just unloads. During the report, the home coach smiles at me and signals time-out. Ok, administered the TO and went to my circle and the boos were non-stop. First horn, coach smiles again and calls another time-out. By now the students have really picked up on the coach and they continue to let us have it. Game back underway, with the stud on the bench (Thanks coach). Got the rest done, got out but that all crowd boo was unforgettable.
If this were me, I'd lose my temper and toss this coach. Okay, I already know I shouldn't lose my temper, but should I toss this coach? Doesn't this constitute riling up the crowd, even though it's not gesturing or "cheerleading"? Would anyone at least ask the AD to deal with this somehow?
While you're tossing this coach, or tattling to the AD, don't fail to remind them how much you love the boos.

[Edited by Jesse James on Dec 8th, 2005 at 08:51 AM]
Old Thu Dec 08, 2005, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If this were me, I'd lose my temper and toss this coach. Okay, I already know I shouldn't lose my temper, but should I toss this coach? Doesn't this constitute riling up the crowd, even though it's not gesturing or "cheerleading"? Would anyone at least ask the AD to deal with this somehow?
Juulie --

How's that report to the state going to read: "I ejected Coach A because he called TO."

I don't think that's going to fly.

Old Thu Dec 08, 2005, 09:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

All he did was call a couple of time-outs and smile. Just enjoy the moment.

Z
Old Thu Dec 08, 2005, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by zebraguy
All he did was call a couple of time-outs and smile. Just enjoy the moment.
Juulie --

How's that report to the state going to read: "I ejected Coach A because he called TO."

I don't think that's going to fly.
Bob, I think Dan's response to me when I once used that reasoning, was along the lines of, "You mean you call the game based on what will go in the report later?"

I think it's funny that nobody thinks this tactic is T-worthy, even tho everybody in the gym knows why the guy is calling the TO; but everybody thought that the stare-down was T-worthy. They seem to be essentially the same to me.

FWIW, I agree with the "no T" crowd on this one.
Old Thu Dec 08, 2005, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
I have a thought on the memo saying that if you get an all-crowd boo then you probably got the call wrong. One possibility is that the memo was talking about OOB calls, rather than judgment calls. We all know that nobody likes a foul called against their team. But if the ball goes out and you call "blue" and everyone in that section goes, "WHAT?!?!?" you may have missed something.

I've heard that "expanation" as well. In fact, in pre-game one night, my partner said, "If I call an OOB and the whole crowd goes nuts, just come to me. Even if you didn't see anything, just run over to me, and I'll change it."

I don't say this in my pre-game, personally. Just throwing out one possible interpretation of that memo.
Old Thu Dec 08, 2005, 09:54am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
[/B]
I think it's funny that nobody thinks this tactic is T-worthy, even tho everybody in the gym knows why the guy is calling the TO; but everybody thought that the stare-down was T-worthy. They seem to be essentially the same to me.

[/B][/QUOTE]If you think it's unsporting, that's not good enough for a T imo. You have to know it's unsporting.

A stare-down is "T"-worthy imo. It's an unsporting act. A TO might be T-worthy and might be an unsporting act. I wouldn't call a T unless the coach came right out and told me that he was calling the TO just so the crowd could boo me. If he's dumb enough to go that far.....
Old Thu Dec 08, 2005, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
[QUOTE]Originally posted by missinglink
Quote:

a few years ago, BV cross-town rival game and home team is up by 15 early in 4th quarter. Their star has had two or three breakaway jams that has the student section and the whole crowd in ecstacy. Another breakaway heads away from me (2 man, T) and stud jams it home, does a two hand pull-up on the ring and flange for flash. Whack, and the crowd just unloads. During the report, the home coach smiles at me and signals time-out. Ok, administered the TO and went to my circle and the boos were non-stop. First horn, coach smiles again and calls another time-out. By now the students have really picked up on the coach and they continue to let us have it. Game back underway, with the stud on the bench (Thanks coach). Got the rest done, got out but that all crowd boo was unforgettable.
Wow! Great story! And that is 1 smart coach!

You can't T him for that, just stand there & smile right back at him. But there is a reason they sew pockets into our sansabelts.

If you're the type that is inclined to use them.