The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   The All-Crowd Boo (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/23530-all-crowd-boo.html)

rainmaker Wed Dec 07, 2005 01:15am

At the end of my first year reffing, one set of women's D1 games was played here in Portland (Oregon). I went, of course, and loved every minute of it. By chance I bumped into a couple of women refs from our association who had a lot of experience, and got to ask several questions.

In the program, was a biography and interview of/with Melissa Barlow. The headline was "You've got to love it when they boo..." and in the article, she talked about her first all-crowd boo, and how it affected her and her thoughts.

Since then, I've had one or two all-crowd boos, but I haven't always handled them very well. They've cut into my self-confidence and made me question myself.

But tonight I had not one, but three! And none of them left me even remotely frazzled. I knew I was absolutely right on all three, and that the crowd was simply being ill-informed fans.

It felt great to (a) get the boo, and (b) love it!!

Now, can I be the back up for Melissa Barlow?!?!

blindzebra Wed Dec 07, 2005 02:03am

I had a game a couple of years ago, where the entire crowd was on one side of the gym. No seats on the other side of the court and the seats on the one side are about 3 times the height of a normal gym. The place was full and it was about 95% for the home team.

Stud player for the home team goes to the basket, defender jumps straight up and A1 clears him out with the off arm.

Whistle, no shot, PC foul and about 2,500 students start a, "You suck," chant.

Timeout for the home team, and the AD starts right for the student section, and jumps on them.

My partner and I had a really good laugh about it after the game.

IREFU2 Wed Dec 07, 2005 08:32am

I just ignore the crowd, especially if I know the call was correct. I notice at my game last night, the coach was actually reading the rule book during the JV game.

FrankHtown Wed Dec 07, 2005 08:38am

I was watching a BV game last night, and home team A1 (in front court)passes the ball to teammate A2, who leaps from the backcourt, catches the ball in mid air, and lands in the front court. The T, right on the division line, calls the backcourt violation. THE PLACE GOES NUTS!!!! Booing, etc. It got me to wondering what happens when the referees really blow a call.

Last year, someone in our chapter sent out a little memo, saying that if the crowd is reacting, it means you probably got the call wrong. At first, I kind of considered that true, but the more I see of fans' misunderstanding, or complete lack of knowledge of the rules, maybe I'd go to 25%.

RefNVa Wed Dec 07, 2005 09:26am

I rarely hear the crowd and I don't understand how you can do your job properly if you do. If the gym is packed I usually only hear a din. Although for some reason a couple of nights ago, during a MS game, I did hear a couple of young boys yelling, " The clock isn't running!", sure enough it wasn't, so I guess rabbit ears do have their place!

ChrisSportsFan Wed Dec 07, 2005 09:33am

Quote:

Originally posted by IREFU2
I just ignore the crowd, especially if I know the call was correct. I notice at my game last night, the coach was actually reading the rule book during the JV game.
Stop it ;)

Hartsy Wed Dec 07, 2005 09:34am

Quote:

Originally posted by FrankHtown
Last year, someone in our chapter sent out a little memo, saying that if the crowd is reacting, it means you probably got the call wrong. At first, I kind of considered that true, but the more I see of fans' misunderstanding, or complete lack of knowledge of the rules, maybe I'd go to 25%.
I'd say you're correct. Whoever sent out that memo needs to sit back and watch a few games. Around here, there is a crowd reaction on nearly every close call. Add to that crowd reactions from misunderstanding the rules, and by the logic in the memo, officials in this area are wrong over half the time.

Officials just don't miss as many calls as the fans indicate.

blindzebra Wed Dec 07, 2005 09:50am

Quote:

I was watching a BV game last night, and home team A1 (in front court)passes the ball to teammate A2, who leaps from the backcourt, catches the ball in mid air, and lands in the front court. The T, right on the division line, calls the backcourt violation. THE PLACE GOES NUTS!!!! Booing, etc. It got me to wondering what happens when the referees really blow a call.

Whoever sent that memo, must have never worked a game.

Any close call against their team, any strange looking play no-called, any play involving the BB myths, sprinkle in the calls they admit to but say, "Hey ref call it both ways," and I'd say it's less than 5%.

tmp44 Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:53am

Quote:

It got me to wondering what happens when the referees really blow a call.
\.

Nothing happens. ;)

zebraman Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:09pm

Fans are clueless and they are only watching their team and usually the ball. Whoever sent that memo out is ignorant. I love the all-crowd boo. It gets my blood pumping.

Z

KenThree Wed Dec 07, 2005 04:16pm

The all-crowd boo and how you handle it is just like being dealt pocket aces.
How you handle it, from body language to your next move, is what makes or breaks a good official?

Nobody works as a bb referee that doesn't love the game as much as the fans love their team that plays the same game. When the fans boo, you have to recognize that they have the same passion for the game as you do. You're just seeing it from a different perspective and training.

If the all-crowd boos are occasional in your games and you're not letting them influence what you do next, it's the best part of the game some nights.

missinglink Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:40am

Quote:

Originally posted by rainmaker

At the end of my first year reffing, one set of women's D1 games was played here in Portland (Oregon). I went, of course, and loved every minute of it. By chance I bumped into a couple of women refs from our association who had a lot of experience, and got to ask several questions.

In the program, was a biography and interview of/with Melissa Barlow. The headline was "You've got to love it when they boo..." and in the article, she talked about her first all-crowd boo, and how it affected her and her thoughts.

Since then, I've had one or two all-crowd boos, but I haven't always handled them very well. They've cut into my self-confidence and made me question myself.

But tonight I had not one, but three! And none of them left me even remotely frazzled. I knew I was absolutely right on all three, and that the crowd was simply being ill-informed fans.

a few years ago, BV cross-town rival game and home team is up by 15 early in 4th quarter. Their star has had two or three breakaway jams that has the student section and the whole crowd in ecstacy. Another breakaway heads away from me (2 man, T) and stud jams it home, does a two hand pull-up on the ring and flange for flash. Whack, and the crowd just unloads. During the report, the home coach smiles at me and signals time-out. Ok, administered the TO and went to my circle and the boos were non-stop. First horn, coach smiles again and calls another time-out. By now the students have really picked up on the coach and they continue to let us have it. Game back underway, with the stud on the bench (Thanks coach). Got the rest done, got out but that all crowd boo was unforgettable.

KenThree Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:46am

And to this day you remember it, right down to the feeling in your toes! And that is why we referee. To be part of the game, part of the inaction and to attempt to apply the rules with impartiality.

rainmaker Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:48am

Quote:

Originally posted by missinglink
Quote:

a few years ago, BV cross-town rival game and home team is up by 15 early in 4th quarter. Their star has had two or three breakaway jams that has the student section and the whole crowd in ecstacy. Another breakaway heads away from me (2 man, T) and stud jams it home, does a two hand pull-up on the ring and flange for flash. Whack, and the crowd just unloads. During the report, the home coach smiles at me and signals time-out. Ok, administered the TO and went to my circle and the boos were non-stop. First horn, coach smiles again and calls another time-out. By now the students have really picked up on the coach and they continue to let us have it. Game back underway, with the stud on the bench (Thanks coach). Got the rest done, got out but that all crowd boo was unforgettable.

If this were me, I'd lose my temper and toss this coach. Okay, I already know I shouldn't lose my temper, but should I toss this coach? Doesn't this constitute riling up the crowd, even though it's not gesturing or "cheerleading"? Would anyone at least ask the AD to deal with this somehow?

Jurassic Referee Thu Dec 08, 2005 05:14am

Quote:

[/B]
If this were me, I'd lose my temper and toss this coach. Okay, I already know I shouldn't lose my temper, but should I toss this coach? Doesn't this constitute riling up the crowd, even though it's not gesturing or "cheerleading"? Would anyone at least ask the AD to deal with this somehow? [/B][/QUOTE]Juulie, never get mad. Just call it right down the middle the whole game. If you're gonna nail the coach, nail him on a clear violation-- outa the box, yapping at you, whatever- but if you do, make sure that you call it same against the other coach.

Let 'em play their little games. Be above it. However, if he does make <b>any</b> kind of comment or gesture,....