View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 08, 2005, 12:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker

At the end of my first year reffing, one set of women's D1 games was played here in Portland (Oregon). I went, of course, and loved every minute of it. By chance I bumped into a couple of women refs from our association who had a lot of experience, and got to ask several questions.

In the program, was a biography and interview of/with Melissa Barlow. The headline was "You've got to love it when they boo..." and in the article, she talked about her first all-crowd boo, and how it affected her and her thoughts.

Since then, I've had one or two all-crowd boos, but I haven't always handled them very well. They've cut into my self-confidence and made me question myself.

But tonight I had not one, but three! And none of them left me even remotely frazzled. I knew I was absolutely right on all three, and that the crowd was simply being ill-informed fans.

It felt great to (a) get the boo, and (b) love it!!

Now, can I be the back up for Melissa Barlow?!?!

a few years ago, BV cross-town rival game and home team is up by 15 early in 4th quarter. Their star has had two or three breakaway jams that has the student section and the whole crowd in ecstacy. Another breakaway heads away from me (2 man, T) and stud jams it home, does a two hand pull-up on the ring and flange for flash. Whack, and the crowd just unloads. During the report, the home coach smiles at me and signals time-out. Ok, administered the TO and went to my circle and the boos were non-stop. First horn, coach smiles again and calls another time-out. By now the students have really picked up on the coach and they continue to let us have it. Game back underway, with the stud on the bench (Thanks coach). Got the rest done, got out but that all crowd boo was unforgettable.