The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 07, 2005, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

In last night's BV game, I am the lead (3 man) table side, along the base line. A1 is bringing the ball up court against a press in a loud gym. The trail is nearing mid court as the ball crosses midcourt. Coach yells to trail for a time out. Trail did not hear the coach or see the signal. I am looking at the two post players, C has a matchup on his side. We all miss the request. A1 does not. He stops his dribble, drops the ball and begins walking towards his coach. B1 picks up the ball and goes for an uncontested lay up. Ouch!

Coaches need to realize that the request can get missed by the refs and they need to try for eye contact with a ref when making a request. This coach made the request and turned away, assuming his gesture was seen. A1 was the real idiot on this play - to drop the ball without hearing a whistle. We all looked bad on that one. Lesson learned. As I looked up and saw what seem to be transpiring - I visibly see my matchup players relax and begin walking toward the bench, B1 picks up the ball at that point. Should I have blown my whistle and granted what seemed to be an obvious (in retrospect) time out request - lying, saying a saw the request? That would have bailed out my partner, but I did not think quick enough to do that. Now I am second guessing if I should have done that. What do you think?
Old Wed Dec 07, 2005, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tmp44
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by RookieDude

I also didn't let the coach come back into the gym for the 8th grade game...one official said, "I don't know if we can do that"...I said we are doing it...and we did.

Absolutely you can do it. Any coach that is ejected is done for the rest of the day and the next game at that level.
Whoa.....

That decision is entirely up to the individual league, state office, whatever. It's never an official's decision. We have no rule book backing to suspend anyone from their next game, no matter how much we'd like to.

Handle with care.
You're right you're right..my mistake. Brain fart for a minute. I deleted the post. Sorry guys.
No problem; I don't think you had to delete the post. We're all here to learn, and goodness knows I've made my share of mistakes. (Pre-emptive: shut up.)

But JR has it right - there's no rule book basis for preventing a coach or player to participate in future games. Now, if you've received word from your league or assignor that you have that authority, then by all means take care of it. But that's usually handled at the upper levels and not at our game level.

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Dec 07, 2005, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

Dear Rookie Dude,

I happen to be a "Janitor"! I'm offended by your narrow-minded comment implying that a "Janitor" is inferior to someone else that may work at the school.

I'm required to be able to operate and repair complicated floor cleaning equipment. I'm very well trained on chemicals used in our industry and maintain my company's library of MSDS Sheets. I can rig and operate very sophisticated window cleaning scaffolding and I am trusted with the safety of my crews on high-rise work.

What is it that you do for work that is so outstanding? Dude? It can't involve "listening" as you are obviously unable to understand the words "Time Out".

An Offended Janitor
Old Wed Dec 07, 2005, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

Dear Rookie Dude,

I happen to be a "Janitor"! I'm offended by your narrow-minded comment implying that a "Janitor" is inferior to someone else that may work at the school.

I'm required to be able to operate and repair complicated floor cleaning equipment. I'm very well trained on chemicals used in our industry and maintain my company's library of MSDS Sheets. I can rig and operate very sophisticated window cleaning scaffolding and I am trusted with the safety of my crews on high-rise work.

What is it that you do for work that is so outstanding? Dude? It can't involve "listening" as you are obviously unable to understand the words "Time Out".

An Offended Janitor
Old Wed Dec 07, 2005, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ref in PA
Should I have blown my whistle and granted what seemed to be an obvious (in retrospect) time out request - lying, saying a saw the request? That would have bailed out my partner, but I did not think quick enough to do that. Now I am second guessing if I should have done that. What do you think?
I think you have to let things happen as they did. We can't guess at what is happening (and then lie about it). We have to call what we see/hear. The "offended" team will learn a valuable lesson: A time out is not a time out until an official grants it.
Old Wed Dec 07, 2005, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

I know how hard it is to hear when a coach is calling for a time out. I was doing a game when the coach was yelling inside out. They were in process of making an uncontested shot and blow my whistle and give the coach what I thought was a time out and waived off the basket.

I would like to see the coaches hold up a colored paddle telling the official they are requesting a time out.
Red for a full timeout and Blue for a 30. would help.
Old Wed Dec 07, 2005, 10:23pm
Official Forum Member

I had a very similar situation in a girls JH game the other night. Thankfully, my coach didn't go bananas, though for a second, it looked like he might. I got him calmed down and we discussed it after the game. Essentially, I said that the rule allowing a coach timeout when I'm supposed to be calling the game can really be a problem.

I suggest talking to coaches in the pregame introductions. Say 2 things: 1) Coach, if you are up, we need you in the box at ALL times; that rule will be strictly enforced. 2) Coach, we need you to give us a visible signal for timeout or you risk us not seeing it. If you have to get slightly out of the box to get our attention, that's fine, but only for that reason.

Notice, I didn't say "you risk us not calling it" as the rules allow for a oral timeout call. For the life of me, I can't figure out why the fed allows this as it has both ruined the idea of getting your kids to call timeout, and in gyms that are loud, we are going to miss oral timeout calls. At the very least, they should require a signal.
Old Thu Dec 08, 2005, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JCrow
Dear Rookie Dude,

An Offended Janitor
Funny JCrow...that wasn't you operating that window cleaning scaffolding that fell the other day...was it?

In regards to not letting the coach hang around for the 8th grade game...I felt it may have induced an unsporting atmosphere for that game. Case closed. It had nothing to do with any suspensions...that comes from the school and/or the WIAA, not me. BTW, my assignor backed me 100% and said he would have done the same thing.

[Edited by RookieDude on Dec 8th, 2005 at 11:32 AM]
Richland, WA
Old Thu Dec 08, 2005, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by M&M Guy
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by RookieDude

I also didn't let the coach come back into the gym for the 8th grade game...one official said, "I don't know if we can do that"...I said we are doing it...and we did.

Absolutely you can do it. Any coach that is ejected is done for the rest of the day and the next game at that level.
Whoa.....

That decision is entirely up to the individual league, state office, whatever. It's never an official's decision. We have no rule book backing to suspend anyone from their next game, no matter how much we'd like to.

Handle with care.
You're right you're right..my mistake. Brain fart for a minute. I deleted the post. Sorry guys.
No problem; I don't think you had to delete the post. We're all here to learn, and goodness knows I've made my share of mistakes. (Pre-emptive: shut up.)

But JR has it right - there's no rule book basis for preventing a coach or player to participate in future games. Now, if you've received word from your league or assignor that you have that authority, then by all means take care of it. But that's usually handled at the upper levels and not at our game level.
It's a PA rule...when I typed it originally I was thinking it was an NFHS rule, not an adopted PA rule.
Old Thu Dec 08, 2005, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

Thankfully, no. In Massachusetts alone, there have been 5 fatal aaccidents in the last 3 years involving Spider Stagings. Not a very humerous subject when you consider the families.

Hmmmmmm......you say there was 1:40 left in a Game where Team A was up by 4 and as A1 dribbles up the court, his Coach is yelling "_____OUT" which you couldn't quite interpret due to the Coach's poor enounciation. You think he may have been referring to the famous "SIDE OUT" Play in basketball? Is that where the Guards, Forwards and Center all go to a corner and allow the "SIDE-OUT" to go one-on-one against the other Team's "MIDDLE-IN"?

Next, you T the Coach a few times and alter the destiny of Team A in a manner that could only be imagined in a Classical Greek Tragedy. Afterward, your aleged Assignor congratulats you on your "FEMA-like Crisis Management Style" while not thinking to himself,

"Please God...get me way from this lunatic before he hurts me, too."

I think I understand......
Old Thu Dec 08, 2005, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thankfully, no. In Massachusetts alone, there have been 5 fatal aaccidents in the last 3 years involving Spider Stagings. Not a very humerous subject when you consider the families.

Hmmmmmm......you say there was 1:40 left in a Game where Team A was up by 4 and as A1 dribbles up the court, his Coach is yelling "_____OUT" which you couldn't quite interpret due to the Coach's poor enounciation. You think he may have been referring to the famous "SIDE OUT" Play in basketball? Is that where the Guards, Forwards and Center all go to a corner and allow the "SIDE-OUT" to go one-on-one against the other Team's "MIDDLE-IN"?

Next, you T the Coach a few times and alter the destiny of Team A in a manner that could only be imagined in a Classical Greek Tragedy. Afterward, your aleged Assignor congratulats you on your "FEMA-like Crisis Management Style" while not thinking to himself,

"Please God...get me way from this lunatic before he hurts me, too."

I think I understand......
Lunatic...you say?

JCrow...I think you've been around your cleaning chemicals to long.
It's a 7th grade coach yelling something unintelligable to his player, not the officials...no eye contact, no signal, nothing, just some hollering that had what sounded like an "OUT" at the end. You want to grant time-outs when a coach is yelling instructions to his player, because you ASSUMED he wanted a time-out? OK...In this case, you would have been correct...so I'll take the criticism and say we kicked it.

But, "altering the destiny" of a 7th grade boys game...."Greek Tragedy"..."alleged assignors"..."T the coach a few times"....brother, you do have the flare for dramatics.

Richland, WA
Old Thu Dec 08, 2005, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

A defeat like that can affect the life of a 7th grade boy.
I can see him losing respect for authority (unfair ref that wouldn't grant a TO), next it's acting out (vandalism, arson, animal cruelty), then there's a stay in a Juvenile Institution, he meets hardened, career criminals......THE NEXT THING YOU KNOW THE POOR KID IS ON "AMERICA'S MOST WANTED" for murdering a poor JANITOR like me! No wonder crime rates are soaring in America......
Old Thu Dec 08, 2005, 03:27pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
A defeat like that can affect the life of a 7th grade boy.
I can see him losing respect for authority (unfair ref that wouldn't grant a TO), next it's acting out (vandalism, arson, animal cruelty), then there's a stay in a Juvenile Institution, he meets hardened, career criminals......THE NEXT THING YOU KNOW THE POOR KID IS ON "AMERICA'S MOST WANTED" for murdering a poor JANITOR like me! No wonder crime rates are soaring in America......
Agree....and it's all RookieDude's fault too.
Old Thu Dec 08, 2005, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

Absooooolutely! RookieDude has done more harm to the youth of America than Pam Anderson, PlayStation and South Park combined. The guy is a menace.

Old Fri Dec 09, 2005, 07:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ref in PA
Should I have blown my whistle and granted what seemed to be an obvious (in retrospect) time out request - lying, saying a saw the request? That would have bailed out my partner, but I did not think quick enough to do that. Now I am second guessing if I should have done that. What do you think?
No need to lie about anything. Don't say that you heard/saw something that you didn't. You can however think that something odd is happening and stop the game.

In this specific situation, you could well blow your whistle just before B1 grabs the ball and say, "Hey, partner, what the heck is going on?" because people are ceasing to play and leaving the court.

You now have an inadvertant whistle with Team A in control, so they get the ball for a throw-in due to the POI rule and you can easily take the time to confirm with Coach A that he wanted a time-out, and then grant it. All perfectly according to the rules with a little quick thinking.

PS Yes, A1 was silly for dropping the ball without hearing a whistle.