The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Nov 13, 2005, 07:49am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to crazy voyager
Been in this situation?

I arrive in the gym at good time, begins checking through ecuipment, I make sure there is 3 good balls at each teams bench, taking the best as game ball. Teams and partner arrive, he's reffed for 20 years. I talk to the speacher saying that I want to know if ther is to be player introductions. He says yes and I go talking to my partner saying that we should call the players of then make the presentations, then call 3 minutes left letting them finish warm-ups. That's all according to the book, he simply blows three minutes, common error, and the first he would do.

The game starts and we're underway, this is two tight teams and I know the home team plays it quite rough. I end up as trail the guests going against home teams basket. The girl goes with her shoulder straight in the chest and I call the offensive foul, I turn around to report it, when he gets forward, simply pushes me away and insted call a blocking.
So it goes on, I make calls, he doesn't make any for himself and continously shows that he thinks I'm wrong.

At the end of qtr, home goes up lane, I'm ahead running backwards, at that time there is just one player behind, not having streanght to run, the time's running down and she shoots a panic shot from somewhere around 3, I call it two points, coach stands showing 3 points sign showing she thought it was a three, the qtr ends and she comes forward saying "3 points ref" (politly) I simple says, "I'm lead, it's his zone, then I make a motion with my hand towards the R". He says "He has to see it, I'm behind". I almost started screaming at him there, he doesn't care to run, and therefore he thinks I should see through 8 players and tell him if it were a 3 or not, it ends with an angry coach (with all right) and a tied score (2 points awarded).

What would you do? How do you tell an R and much more excperienced ref he can't even call a junior game!

Also, I'd like some tips, in 2 weeks I'm taking really small ppl, like 12 years, and I'm with another excperienced ref put up with total freshmen, took the basic course last week, have never reffed in their life. Got any tips on how to make a good teachers approch and not make their first game such a mess as mine were?

And also, I've offcourse been put up with the worst of them all :P I'd be suprised if he new the diffrence between Lead and trail :S
Old Sun Nov 13, 2005, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by crazy voyager
What would you do? How do you tell an R and much more excperienced ref he can't even call a junior game!
There's only one way to handle this situation:

Get in.
Get done.
Get out.

You can't change that official. You can't make him learn the rules during the game. You can't force him to be a good partner. You can't make him run any faster. Just do the game as well as you can, and move on.

If you know ahead of time that you will be working with a weak partner, you can have a good solid pre-game with him and hope that makes some difference. But if it doesn't, then you just have to work your game and get through it.

Good luck.
Old Sun Nov 13, 2005, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:

At the end of qtr, home goes up lane, I'm ahead running backwards, at that time there is just one player behind, not having streanght to run, the time's running down and she shoots a panic shot from somewhere around 3, I call it two points, coach stands showing 3 points sign showing she thought it was a three, the qtr ends and she comes forward saying "3 points ref" (politly) I simple says, "I'm lead, it's his zone, then I make a motion with my hand towards the R". He says "He has to see it, I'm behind". I almost started screaming at him there, he doesn't care to run, and therefore he thinks I should see through 8 players and tell him if it were a 3 or not, it ends with an angry coach (with all right) and a tied score (2 points awarded).
You signalled 2 points on the shot and when questioned you said it's your partner's call??

btw, don't run backwards.
Old Sun Nov 13, 2005, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Been in this situation?

I arrive in the gym at good time, begins checking through ecuipment, I make sure there is 3 good balls at each teams bench, taking the best as game ball. Teams and partner arrive, he's reffed for 20 years. I talk to the speacher saying that I want to know if ther is to be player introductions. He says yes and I go talking to my partner saying that we should call the players of then make the presentations, then call 3 minutes left letting them finish warm-ups. That's all according to the book, he simply blows three minutes, common error, and the first he would do.

The game starts and we're underway, this is two tight teams and I know the home team plays it quite rough. I end up as trail the guests going against home teams basket. The girl goes with her shoulder straight in the chest and I call the offensive foul, I turn around to report it, when he gets forward, simply pushes me away and insted call a blocking.
So it goes on, I make calls, he doesn't make any for himself and continously shows that he thinks I'm wrong.

Also, I'd like some tips, in 2 weeks I'm taking really small ppl, like 12 years, and I'm with another excperienced ref put up with total freshmen, took the basic course last week, have never reffed in their life. Got any tips on how to make a good teachers approch and not make their first game such a mess as mine were?

And also, I've offcourse been put up with the worst of them all :P I'd be suprised if he new the diffrence between Lead and trail :S
What are you trying to say. Dont take this personally but if your communication skills on the court are as good as you portray hear your partners will not give you any respect.

Here's a couple of issues you may want to consider.

Where I ref, you dont pull off players for introductions and then let them go back on to the floor for three minutes or warm-up. They finish warm-up, do player intros, and then you go ut and toss the ball.

When you had the foul as trail, sounds like you had a double whistle, and you took the play without communicating. You have to communicate here- Maybe he took it because you werent suppose to take it.

Where did the play start? Whose primary was it in when it started? Who had best look?

Why on earth are you running backwards? Never Never Never!

The end of quarter play sounds like it was in transition of somesort. Where did the ball start? and what time was left on the clock. Did you communicate who had last shot.
In my games 5 seconds or more trail has shot. Less than 5 lead may have shot. It may have been your call in the first place.

You called it two points.

You must have seen something since you were watching it that gave you firm knowledge that it was a two since you scored it as a two. If I were a trail and you signalled a two, I would figure you saw foot on line and had exact knowledge. The when the coach asked me, I would tell him you called it a two since you did and that you saw something I did not.

Did you ever figure that the experienced ref was right?
You worried about getting a good game ball more than you worried about any pregame. No one cares how many balls there are especially at the visitors bench. Visitor never provides a game ball unless all the home ones are garbage.

Old Sun Nov 13, 2005, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

This post gets my vote for the annual "Pot Meet Kettle" award.
Old Sun Nov 13, 2005, 04:41pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Been in this situation?

Is this thread being posted on behalf of your partner?

Sounds like another poster had it right -- pot, meet kettle.
Old Sun Nov 13, 2005, 04:44pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Is this thread being posted on behalf of your partner?

That is what I was thinking.
Old Sun Nov 13, 2005, 05:29pm
Official Forum Member

Crazy..., try to remember these things:
1.You'll enjoy working with some partners and some you won't. Enjoy the good nights and be thankful for those partners. On bad nights do your best, keep your mouth shut, and get out. Look forward to the next game. We've all been there!
2. Long time veterans have much to teach you -- and sometimes it is through their decision to get lax or slack a little. But everyone can teach you something.
3. From what I gather from your post, you learned somethings you don't want to do AND you clearly made some mistakes yourself! I have a couple of long time veteran partners who are great "rule book" officials, but they truthfully have always had trouble making good calls.
4. Never disrespect an older and more seasoned partner. You'll lose respect from everyone you officiate with and it will come back to bite you in the rear end in a hurry.
Old Sun Nov 13, 2005, 05:32pm
Official Forum Member

Sounds like you and your partner didn't communicate well. When you're the new guy, don't assume you're always right. Ask questions. When I was starting, if I could tell a partner wasn't impressed with something I called, I'd go say, what did you think of...whatever it was. Then I'd Listen to what they have to say, if anything, and make a decision on whether or not I got it right. Sometimes I stood by my original call. Sometimes I got some food for thought that made me a better official. It's great to be confident in your ablities as an official, but there's always something new to learn or think about, no matter what level you work. Personally, that's why I enjoy it so much.
Old Sun Nov 13, 2005, 05:52pm
In Memoriam

Oh, my !

Crazy voyager,
If it happened exactly as you wrote it, then I am also quite befuddled.
mick
Old Sun Nov 13, 2005, 08:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by blindzebra
This post gets my vote for the annual "Pot Meet Kettle" award.
I think this is a little harsh.

First, remember that cv works under FIBA rules, so while it may look to us as though he got some rules or procedures wrong, it's possible that he's right and partner is wrong.

Furthermore, when a new ref is struggling to deal with a lousy, but veteran, partner, we need to give him (I think cv is a him) some leeway. He feels frustrated, since he's trying to do things right, but he's getting stomped on, not corrected gently. How can he learn from a partner who shoves him out of the way to re-report a foul to the table?

I think what you need to do, cv, is to find another ref in your area who you can talk to ahead of time about the various partners, and learn how to handle this situation in ways that are acceptable in your locale. This guy sounds like a hopeless cause. And what Chuck says is true. You gain nothing by discussing it with him. Just get in, do your best, and go home. If it's too egregious, you might think about discussing it with your assignor, but even that can be dangerous. Find a sympathetic, experienced mentor, and talk to him or her about everything you struggle with. It's the most productive use of your energy.
Old Sun Nov 13, 2005, 09:48pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
CV --

I went back and re-read your post, and I have some further advice. When you are the more experienced ref and you don't want to screw your brand new partner the way you think you got screwed, then the most important thing is to decide ahead of time how to react to certain situations.

What will you do when you think he got a call dead wrong? You know you won't push him out of the way and change the call -- you already know you won't. But what WILL you do?

What will you do when he wants you to bail him out of a jam? Decide now how you will handle it.

How about when he misses a very obvious foul? What if he reports something wrong, or tries to fix the clock when he shouldn't or tells someone a wrong rule?

If you think through some of these things, you'll be a long way down the road toward being a "Good Partner" -- the kind everyone wants to work with.
Old Mon Nov 14, 2005, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to crazy voyager
It'll take a while to write this reply :P

First, thanks, 11 answers is a lot more then I excpected.

Quote:
You signalled 2 points on the shot and when questioned you said it's your partner's call??
I never thought of it this way, I'd better think of when I should signal points or not.

Quote:
What are you trying to say. Dont take this personally but if your communication skills on the court are as good as you portray hear your partners will not give you any respect.
Maybe my communication skills are bad, but english is not my first language, and I've only studied it for 5½ years, I think I speak it good for having stuidied it that short (if 5 years is short :P but I think it is when talking abouyt studying languages).

Quote:
Where I ref, you dont pull off players for introductions and then let them go back on to the floor for three minutes or warm-up. They finish warm-up, do player intros, and then you go ut and toss the ball.
The refrence is the FIBA 2 man mechanics manual page 11 (This is a 78 pages pdf file with lots of images, do not use the link if you have a slow connection) http://www.fibaamericas.com/files/in...22385BEC91.pdf and what I said is straight from the manual.

Quote:
When you had the foul as trail, sounds like you had a double whistle, and you took the play without communicating. You have to communicate here- Maybe he took it because you werent suppose to take it.
I did as usuall, made eye contact, pointed at me, he nodded, it was first when I saw I was reporting an offensive one he altered it

Quote:
Where did the play start? Whose primary was it in when it started? Who had best look?
It started at the 3 point line as a cut, it was in my zone/area and I had the best look. It should be my call, I was watching from the side "Looking for the hole" as they thought us during training. I saw the contact, it was with the shoulder in the defenders chest, I called the offensive. I don't see anything wrong in that call, but he apperently did.

Quote:
The end of quarter play sounds like it was in transition of somesort. Where did the ball start? and what time was left on the clock. Did you communicate who had last shot.
In my games 5 seconds or more trail has shot. Less than 5 lead may have shot. It may have been your call in the first place.
There wasn't a scoreboard in this gym, the timekeeper had a clock we couldn't see, he called 1 minute, 30 secs and 10 secs, then blew a whistle, so I don't now how much time it was left, anyway, I've never heard of the 5 second procedure, the ref closest takes the call. If they set it up, it's as usuall, and then the trail monitors 3 point area. I was lead, and watching the box out looking for elbows, pushing and so on, I saw the shoot go off though (read more below).

Quote:
You must have seen something since you were watching it that gave you firm knowledge that it was a two since you scored it as a two. If I were a trail and you signalled a two, I would figure you saw foot on line and had exact knowledge. The when the coach asked me, I would tell him you called it a two since you did and that you saw something I did not.
I did this rush, I shouldn't have signalled anything, I've figured that now. How ever I thought I saw her standing beneth the three point line yes, but normaly the lead shows his "oppinon" when he's uncertain if the trail can see it or not, normaly this is done by extending three fingers if the lead thinks it's a three, the 3-point attempt sign in FIBA. How ever, the trail is the one deciding if it's a 2 or 3. If the trail can't see, he (almost evry time) watches the lead and either shows three if he does or two if he does.

Just a note though, this R is known to decide for himself if it's a three or not, even if he's lead. This is not according to the book but he does that anyway sometimes. Something mostly coaches have been annoyed at.

Quote:
Did you ever figure that the experienced ref was right?
You worried about getting a good game ball more than you worried about any pregame. No one cares how many balls there are especially at the visitors bench. Visitor never provides a game ball unless all the home ones are garbage.
Right about what? the 2/3 point call.
He wasn't there when I did this, he arrived late.
Regarding balls, it's common that the home referee toghter with the adult in responsibility of the gym takes care of the balls and such during games. Especially if the ref has nothing else to do. I am connected to the club who was home in this game. And usually visitors get mad at obne of 3 ppl when there is no balls for the warm-up (this is becuse it says in the swedish rules that the home team shall provide 3 balls for the warm up.)
1. Home coach.
2. home ref (not at me though, cause then they can end up with a T).
3. adult in responsibility of the gym.

They shold be asking the one responsible, but usually they end up getting mad at the coach insted.
Besides, why wouldn't I put this out? :P the gym was almost empty, half an hour left to the game, I could talk or do something productive, I made something productive (helped scorekepeer getting things sorted, put out balls, checked equipment, things like that).

Quote:
1.You'll enjoy working with some partners and some you won't. Enjoy the good nights and be thankful for those partners. On bad nights do your best, keep your mouth shut, and get out. Look forward to the next game. We've all been there!
2. Long time veterans have much to teach you -- and sometimes it is through their decision to get lax or slack a little. But everyone can teach you something.
3. From what I gather from your post, you learned somethings you don't want to do AND you clearly made some mistakes yourself! I have a couple of long time veteran partners who are great "rule book" officials, but they truthfully have always had trouble making good calls.
4. Never disrespect an older and more seasoned partner. You'll lose respect from everyone you officiate with and it will come back to bite you in the rear end in a hurry.
What is there to say, thanks for the advice. I'll try to remember this for the future, I'm still not certain what this perticular person could teach me though :P But hopfully there were something (if not, it would be quite strange)

Quote:
Sounds like you and your partner didn't communicate well. When you're the new guy, don't assume you're always right. Ask questions. When I was starting, if I could tell a partner wasn't impressed with something I called, I'd go say, what did you think of...whatever it was. Then I'd Listen to what they have to say, if anything, and make a decision on whether or not I got it right. Sometimes I stood by my original call. Sometimes I got some food for thought that made me a better official.
We did comunicate ok, I tried to make eyecontact on evry call, mostly he didn't care though. And I'm afraid he's not the first one, people tend to forget the communication between referees, they focus on the ocmunication between the scorekeeper and themselfs insted.

Quote:
It's great to be confident in your ablities as an official, but there's always something new to learn or think about, no matter what level you work. Personally, that's why I enjoy it so much.
I'm not saying I should be out taking the olympics, I have more to learn then most people, they just don't think so. I've had this automatic thing to make all calls and keep a high level, but that's also my greates weakness, I can turn up and start off bad, and sometimes I can't adjust, I keep it at this low level an entire game, and that's one of my greatest weaknesness. So I've got loads and loads more to learn, and I've got loads of stuff that I can't read in, that'll come with the years and games called. And it's comming, but it's taking time. And I have been offered higher training this year, I said no, reason: I thought I had to little excperience, they thought I was nuts :P

Quote:
(I think cv is a him)
I am.

Quote:
I think what you need to do, cv, is to find another ref in your area who you can talk to ahead of time about the various partners, and learn how to handle this situation in ways that are acceptable in your locale
This is a great idea, there's just one problem, I only know one good ref. Problem is that when I try to learn from him, I have noticed (togheter with others) that half of the techniques he's using, he's invented himself. And some differ a great deal from the one we've been thought by the ones holding referee training. And well, I'm so young that most referees, simply think I'm too young, so I coudl try, but most people then begins to teach me stuff I already know, the basics. What I need is a person who can learn me the things I can't read in, that's what most people thinks I need to learn, signs, mechanics, positioning on court, that kind of stuff, but it's not. BEsides, I've got books to teach me that, I need to know how to act towards partners and people in and around the game. And when to draw the line. Right now I use this forum for this, reading around, trying to learn how to handle mad coaches, angry players, shouting audience, that kind of stuff.

I'll try and find somebody to help me though, I know just he one, but I'm afraid I don't meet him to often but he's a great official.

Quote:
went back and re-read your post, and I have some further advice. When you are the more experienced ref and you don't want to screw your brand new partner the way you think you got screwed, then the most important thing is to decide ahead of time how to react to certain situations.

What will you do when you think he got a call dead wrong? You know you won't push him out of the way and change the call -- you already know you won't. But what WILL you do?

What will you do when he wants you to bail him out of a jam? Decide now how you will handle it.

How about when he misses a very obvious foul? What if he reports something wrong, or tries to fix the clock when he shouldn't or tells someone a wrong rule?

If you think through some of these things, you'll be a long way down the road toward being a "Good Partner" -- the kind everyone wants to work with.
Good question, I almost only have examples on how to not do. Well I suppose pre-game is importent, and to use time-outs, get togheter, talk through, and then outside the court too, it's an entire day with games, I'm getting the same partner several times, we're 6 refs rotating, when I'm off with somebody I have advice for, i suppose a quiet corner and discussion is a good idea. What do you think?

And finaly, the big question *drums*
Quote:
Quote:
I've always done this, I've been thougt so by more excperienced refs and educators, and evrybody does. How can you see otherwise if you havn't got eyes in your neck? :P You could look over your shoulder, but also, the rotation takes time, and then the players can pass and you might miss calls:
"Always let the play come towards you when you're lead" one of the silver rules (only got 4 golden :P so I now name this a silver rule).
I don't see why not :P

This took a while to write, like I said:P
Old Mon Nov 14, 2005, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:

And finaly, the big question *drums*
Quote:
Quote:
Here's why I don't run backwards:

1. Inherent risk of injury to the knees, ankles and hamstring muscles.

2. If you run into someone backwards you'll most likely end up on your @ss risking even further injury.

3. You can run much faster looking over your shoulder than you can running backwards. Also, if you run into someone you'll absorb the impact with your leading shoulder and you'll have a better chance of staying upright. And when running this way you can always turn you head to get a look at where you're going. This is impossible if you run backwards.

Old Mon Nov 14, 2005, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref

Here's why I don't run backwards:

1. Inherent risk of injury to the knees, ankles and hamstring muscles.
Add "wrists" to the list of possible injuries. In my younger (and obviously more awkward) days, I used to run backwards as well during transitions, until one day I tripped over one of the lines (honest!) and broke my wrist when I put my hand down to break my fall.

It is always better to run forward, and turn your head over your shoulder to watch the players. Just don't get into the bad habit of not watching the players as you run.

(Used with permission.)