Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 14, 2005, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to crazy voyager
O.o, no good to risk wrists
*puts on list:
start running forward* :P thanks for the warning

and congratulations for getting thorught the post, I checked, it is 4 pages long :P
Old Mon Nov 14, 2005, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by M&M Guy
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref

Here's why I don't run backwards:

1. Inherent risk of injury to the knees, ankles and hamstring muscles.
Add "wrists" to the list of possible injuries. In my younger (and obviously more awkward) days, I used to run backwards as well during transitions, until one day I tripped over one of the lines (honest!) and broke my wrist when I put my hand down to break my fall.

It is always better to run forward, and turn your head over your shoulder to watch the players. Just don't get into the bad habit of not watching the players as you run.
I did the same thing in my 2 or 3 year of officiating. Running backwards on a tile floor and broke my wrist. Never did that again!
Old Mon Nov 14, 2005, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by M&M Guy
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref

Here's why I don't run backwards:

1. Inherent risk of injury to the knees, ankles and hamstring muscles.
Add "wrists" to the list of possible injuries. In my younger (and obviously more awkward) days, I used to run backwards as well during transitions, until one day I tripped over one of the lines (honest!) and broke my wrist when I put my hand down to break my fall.

It is always better to run forward, and turn your head over your shoulder to watch the players. Just don't get into the bad habit of not watching the players as you run.
I did the same thing in my 2nd or 3rd year of officiating. Running backwards on a tile floor and broke my wrist. Never did that again!
Old Mon Nov 14, 2005, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

DBL must stand for double.
Old Mon Nov 14, 2005, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

The injury so nice he posted it twice...

(Used with permission.)
Old Mon Nov 14, 2005, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

Crazy

I have a few suggestions for you, for what they are worth.

I see your tag line says you use FIBA. I dont know if that means the game in question was under FIBA also or if it was NFHS.

In any event, it sounds like maybe you could benefit from reading the NFHS Official's Manual, or perhaps ordering Referee Magazine's Guide to Officiating Basketball. Both (the second in particular) is really helpful on many of the issues you raise.

If the game was FIBA, I went to the FIBA site and noticed they offer a Referee's Manual as a free download. Here is the link to the download.

http://www.fiba.com/asp_includes/dow...sp?file_id=325

You may have this already. I do notice that one thing that seems strange to us NFHS officials is that in FIBA the official actually is involved in the choice of the game ball. Frankly, it was interesting reading. In addition, the diagrams show the lead official in what we would call the "quicksand" between the key's lane lines, which is a big NFHS no no. And it says both officials should watch all 10 players. Again, big NFHS no no.

Regarding a double whistle, it states:

"Whenever both officials blow their whistles for a foul, they should not make any immediate movement. Each official must be aware of his partner, just in case he has committed himself to another decision."

It also notes:

"There is no distinction between the referee and the umpire when it comes to taking decisions on fouls or violations. Younger or less experienced officials have just as much authority to take decisions as their veteran colleagues. Cooperation and teamwork is vital. They set their standards by accepting their responsibilities."

FIBA has some insteresting court coverage ideas, dividing the front court into 6 zones or "rectangles". Very different from NFHS, but still worth NFHS consideration frankly for philosophical discussion about coverage and ideas behind mechanics.

As a funny side note, I think it was hillarious to see euro ball rules make this comment and then put it in bold:

"Avoid penalising incidental contact that does not affect the play, especially when a player drives to the basket and scores. Similarly, do not call an offensive foul because a defensive player puts on a [bold] theatrical display and falls to the floor. [end bold]"

Gotta love euro ball!

Sorry, back to my comments.

Regarding running backwards, the FIBA referee manual specifically says you shouldnt and that you should run looking over your shoulder:

"9. In transition from trail official to lead official, do not turn your head away from the play and look down court, keep your eyes focused on the play and the players at all times by looking over your shoulder."

Spend some time with the officiating manuals. They are really helpful. And thanks for your post which led me to the FIBA manual and some real interesting things to discuss.

As for bad parthers, I've had many. And I learned from each one of them. Sometimes I learn what not to do. Sometimes I learn that I have been doing something wrong.

Dont presume you are right. Use everything as a learning tool. It will make you better.
Old Mon Nov 14, 2005, 04:41pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by cdaref
[BI do notice that one thing that seems strange to us NFHS officials is that in FIBA the official actually is involved in the choice of the game ball.
[/B]
It ain't that strange in NFHS.

R1-12-3 sez the R under NFHS rules is involved in the choice of the game ball too.
Old Mon Nov 14, 2005, 05:30pm
Official Forum Member

Sure, we check the one presented by the home team. That is a different procedure from what is outlined in the FIBA manual. The reason I commented is because it sounded strange when Crazy posted that pregame he was checking the ball racks for the home and the visitor to pick a ball. That seemed wierd, not NFHS. But the FIBA manual seems to say that is what they do. I wasnt saying NFHS officials have no role in the ball, just that it is much different from the FIBA way of doing things.
Old Tue Nov 15, 2005, 04:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I see your tag line says you use FIBA. I dont know if that means the game in question was under FIBA also or if it was NFHS.
I'm from europe (Sweden) and only do FIBA games, I have a slight idea of NFHS/NCAA/NBA rules but I don't take any games under those rules.

Quote:
You may have this already. I do notice that one thing that seems strange to us NFHS officials is that in FIBA the official actually is involved in the choice of the game ball. Frankly, it was interesting reading. In addition, the diagrams show the lead official in what we would call the "quicksand" between the key's lane lines, which is a big NFHS no no. And it says both officials should watch all 10 players. Again, big NFHS no no.
You see now that some of my reading and posting are confusing :P there are some technical diffrences after all.

Quote:
Avoid penalising incidental contact that does not affect the play, especially when a player drives to the basket and scores. Similarly, do not call an offensive foul because a defensive player puts on a [bold] theatrical display and falls to the floor. [end bold]"
heh, the rules have been changed scince the last update acctually:
"all attempts of theatricaly trying to gain a call should be penalised with a technical foul". So fall to the floor intentionaly (shouting "aaah") and you may end up with a T.

Quote:
"9. In transition from trail official to lead official, do not turn your head away from the play and look down court, keep your eyes focused on the play and the players at all times by looking over your shoulder."
I didn't see that, I'd better tell other people not to do that too, cause most people arn't aware these manuals exists...

It would be fun with a topic discussing difrences between diffrent rules sets, and officiating tecniwues (NFHS/NCAA/NBA/FIBA), comparing good/bad things, it would be fun to debate this (I would also love to see an NFHS officiating manual, rule book and case book if anyone can give me a link for that.
Old Tue Nov 15, 2005, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by blindzebra
DBL must stand for double.
Actually, it does. It means double referee (soccer and basketball). However, I no longer officiate soccer and didn't want to change it. I thought I used the edit button in time to make my correction, but this government computer is slow, slow, slow!
Old Tue Nov 15, 2005, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

My 2 cents on running backwards besides not being able to see where you're going and the risk of falling.........most people look pretty awkward when they run backwards. Heck, most look funny when they run forward but especially backwards.
Old Tue Nov 15, 2005, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

I can't help myself, this movie is just fun (I think) but after all,I'm no soccer officaial :P watch and you'll know why (the sites swedish so don't mind the text lol)

http://www.snabbstart.com/film/vaerl...te-domare.aspx

Old Tue Nov 15, 2005, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

See what we mean about running backwards...you don't want to look like that, do you? (Not that there's anything wrong with that.)

Now, if only I can incorporate that yellow card flourish into my "T" mechanic...

(Used with permission.)