View Single Post
Old Sun Nov 13, 2005, 04:41pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by crazy voyager
Been in this situation?

I arrive in the gym at good time, begins checking through ecuipment, I make sure there is 3 good balls at each teams bench, taking the best as game ball. Teams and partner arrive, he's reffed for 20 years. I talk to the speacher saying that I want to know if ther is to be player introductions. He says yes and I go talking to my partner saying that we should call the players of then make the presentations, then call 3 minutes left letting them finish warm-ups. That's all according to the book, he simply blows three minutes, common error, and the first he would do.

The game starts and we're underway, this is two tight teams and I know the home team plays it quite rough. I end up as trail the guests going against home teams basket. The girl goes with her shoulder straight in the chest and I call the offensive foul, I turn around to report it, when he gets forward, simply pushes me away and insted call a blocking.
So it goes on, I make calls, he doesn't make any for himself and continously shows that he thinks I'm wrong.

At the end of qtr, home goes up lane, I'm ahead running backwards, at that time there is just one player behind, not having streanght to run, the time's running down and she shoots a panic shot from somewhere around 3, I call it two points, coach stands showing 3 points sign showing she thought it was a three, the qtr ends and she comes forward saying "3 points ref" (politly) I simple says, "I'm lead, it's his zone, then I make a motion with my hand towards the R". He says "He has to see it, I'm behind". I almost started screaming at him there, he doesn't care to run, and therefore he thinks I should see through 8 players and tell him if it were a 3 or not, it ends with an angry coach (with all right) and a tied score (2 points awarded).

What would you do? How do you tell an R and much more excperienced ref he can't even call a junior game!

Also, I'd like some tips, in 2 weeks I'm taking really small ppl, like 12 years, and I'm with another excperienced ref put up with total freshmen, took the basic course last week, have never reffed in their life. Got any tips on how to make a good teachers approch and not make their first game such a mess as mine were?

And also, I've offcourse been put up with the worst of them all :P I'd be suprised if he new the diffrence between Lead and trail :S
Is this thread being posted on behalf of your partner?

Sounds like another poster had it right -- pot, meet kettle.