View Single Post
Old Sun Nov 13, 2005, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by crazy voyager
Been in this situation?

I arrive in the gym at good time, begins checking through ecuipment, I make sure there is 3 good balls at each teams bench, taking the best as game ball. Teams and partner arrive, he's reffed for 20 years. I talk to the speacher saying that I want to know if ther is to be player introductions. He says yes and I go talking to my partner saying that we should call the players of then make the presentations, then call 3 minutes left letting them finish warm-ups. That's all according to the book, he simply blows three minutes, common error, and the first he would do.

The game starts and we're underway, this is two tight teams and I know the home team plays it quite rough. I end up as trail the guests going against home teams basket. The girl goes with her shoulder straight in the chest and I call the offensive foul, I turn around to report it, when he gets forward, simply pushes me away and insted call a blocking.
So it goes on, I make calls, he doesn't make any for himself and continously shows that he thinks I'm wrong.

At the end of qtr, home goes up lane, I'm ahead running backwards, at that time there is just one player behind, not having streanght to run, the time's running down and she shoots a panic shot from somewhere around 3, I call it two points, coach stands showing 3 points sign showing she thought it was a three, the qtr ends and she comes forward saying "3 points ref" (politly) I simple says, "I'm lead, it's his zone, then I make a motion with my hand towards the R". He says "He has to see it, I'm behind". I almost started screaming at him there, he doesn't care to run, and therefore he thinks I should see through 8 players and tell him if it were a 3 or not, it ends with an angry coach (with all right) and a tied score (2 points awarded).

What would you do? How do you tell an R and much more excperienced ref he can't even call a junior game!

Also, I'd like some tips, in 2 weeks I'm taking really small ppl, like 12 years, and I'm with another excperienced ref put up with total freshmen, took the basic course last week, have never reffed in their life. Got any tips on how to make a good teachers approch and not make their first game such a mess as mine were?

And also, I've offcourse been put up with the worst of them all :P I'd be suprised if he new the diffrence between Lead and trail :S
What are you trying to say. Dont take this personally but if your communication skills on the court are as good as you portray hear your partners will not give you any respect.

Here's a couple of issues you may want to consider.

Where I ref, you dont pull off players for introductions and then let them go back on to the floor for three minutes or warm-up. They finish warm-up, do player intros, and then you go ut and toss the ball.

When you had the foul as trail, sounds like you had a double whistle, and you took the play without communicating. You have to communicate here- Maybe he took it because you werent suppose to take it.

Where did the play start? Whose primary was it in when it started? Who had best look?

Why on earth are you running backwards? Never Never Never!

The end of quarter play sounds like it was in transition of somesort. Where did the ball start? and what time was left on the clock. Did you communicate who had last shot.
In my games 5 seconds or more trail has shot. Less than 5 lead may have shot. It may have been your call in the first place.

You called it two points.

You must have seen something since you were watching it that gave you firm knowledge that it was a two since you scored it as a two. If I were a trail and you signalled a two, I would figure you saw foot on line and had exact knowledge. The when the coach asked me, I would tell him you called it a two since you did and that you saw something I did not.

Did you ever figure that the experienced ref was right?
You worried about getting a good game ball more than you worried about any pregame. No one cares how many balls there are especially at the visitors bench. Visitor never provides a game ball unless all the home ones are garbage.