The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 27, 2005, 05:38pm
Official Forum Member

I'm curious on what everyone suggests as training for officiating middle school/freshman ball?

I just tried to join a local association to work these games but can't because I'm over the weight maxiumum for their officials.

I'm curious what people use as a conditioning tool, I'm thinking of using a treadmill for 1.5/2 miles a session in addition to a weight loss regime.

I'm hoping to call another year of rec ball because that can be less demanding physically.

What distance is typically run by an official in a middle school game?

I'm disappointed about not working upper level ball this year but hopefully next year.

Thanks for the help
Old Tue Sep 27, 2005, 05:44pm
Do not give a damn!!

I personally cannot answer your specific questions with a specific answer. I think any training to lose weight you need to check with a doctor and possibly a personal trainer.

I have no idea how much running you will have to do for a middle school game. I really do not think anyone can definitively answer that question here. I am sure it varies based on the style of play and the ability of the kids.

It sounds like you need to get yourself physically ready to work games and not worry so much about what specifics you will do as an official. The bottom line any officiating can be physically demanding on the body and you have to be prepared to handle it. Once again talk to a doctor so that they can address your personal physical challenges. It is hard to know without knowing if you have knee, back or even heart issues.

Peace
Old Tue Sep 27, 2005, 08:08pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Newref - don't get in shape to work MS games. Get in shape because you'll feel better, think better, be better.

See a doctor before undertaking any weight loss/excersize program.

Generally speaking you should be able to do 30 minutes (minimum) on a treadmill at a pace that sustains a heart rate of 75% to 80% of your max rate. Max rate is 220 - your age. If your age is 20 you need to sustain a heart rate of 160 for a half hour, 3 to 4 days per week. When you can do this working MS will be nothing. For you this might seem impossible, work up to it slowly, it's not gonna come in a day.

While you're at it: pushups, situps & pullups. Do them with good form, a few to begin with & go from there.

Diet: if you put sugar in your coffee or drink non-diet soda stop. Stop eating bread. Have a few handfuls of veggies and/or nuts for lunch.

Good luck
Old Wed Sep 28, 2005, 07:44am
Official Forum Member

My 2 cents

I agree with most of the advice given above. But one comment did trigger a reaction in me. The don't eat bread comment. This reeks of the low carb/Adkins diets.
I think even better than not eating bread would be don't eat the crap between the bread. I play lots of competive tennis so fitness is an issue in the world I play in. Last year everybody and i mean everybody at my tennis club was on the no bread kick. This year they are still overweight and looking for the next fix-it.
I have a friend who is 75 lbs overweight and with a straight face gave me the whole bread spiel, as he devoured the meat from 3 double-doubles from In-Out . the logic disconnect fascinates and frustrates me.
See a doctor and a nutrionist. Eat moderately-don't deprieve yourself. Join a gym and GO EVERYDAY. Go slow and Go often. i have lost 30 lbs this last year. I eat piazza, chocolate and I love sandwiches, bread included. I swim 20 -30 minutes a day 3x a week. Do spin classes 2x a week and never,ever drive thru for my meals. Rant and rave over

PS St johns wart doesn't do anything for depression.
Old Wed Sep 28, 2005, 09:38am
In Memoriam

Can I still have a brownpop every Thursday?

Please?
Old Wed Sep 28, 2005, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Can I still have a brownpop every Thursday?

Please?
Only once a week? Remarkable restraint!

Brownpop and little chocolate donuts. Breakfast of Champions!

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Sep 28, 2005, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by M&M Guy
That sounds suspiciously like a John Belushi bit on SNL. . .

Old Wed Sep 28, 2005, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by M&M Guy
That sounds suspiciously like a John Belushi bit on SNL. . .

He's my hero!

(Except I don't smoke...)

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Sep 28, 2005, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

Ugh

Ugh what's a brownpop ?
Old Wed Sep 28, 2005, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Ugh

Quote:
Originally posted by Chess Ref
Ugh what's a brownpop ?
It's the kind of pop whose main ingredients are Barley and Hops.
Old Wed Sep 28, 2005, 09:45pm
Official Forum Member

Speaking of pop, a quick way to get rid of some calories from your diet is to get of drinking soda (and brownpop, but I've never even attempted to do that). I personally go in streak where I will drink no soda, but then I always get pulled back in (I need my caffine in the morning and hate coffee). I usually start by switching to diet, then gradually reducing the amount of soda I drink during the day. Eventually I end up at natural juices and water.
Old Wed Sep 28, 2005, 11:54pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Another way to lose weight, and the only way that works for me, is to increase your metabolic needs by building muscle. It's easy to work this into the corners of your day, by having a couple of 5 or 7 pound weights laying around your living room, and doing weight things while you watch a little TV. The sit ups and push-ups help build muscle too, but spending money on weights makes them more important, somehow.

As far as dieting, I think the best thing I ever did was to declare a day off about every 10 days. If you're exercising regularly, even if it's not much, and eating reasonably the rst of the time, you can afford a certain amount of over-indulgence once in a while, and it helps prevent that deprived feeling.

Also, if you can keep your over-all caloric rate steady, it's better to eat a little at a time but more often, than to have two or three full meals a day. The general advice against snacking is becuase that's usually a good way to increase your calorie count. But if you split your breakfast in half, eat half at 6:30 and half at 9:30, and then split your lunch in half and eat half at noon, and half at 3, and then split your dinner in half and eat half at 6 and half at 9, you will actually lose a little weight.

One thing that has worked for me sometimes is to just spend a month losing 5 pounds and then try to hold steady for a month. Then try to lose 5 more, then hold for a while. That's still 30 pounds over a year, which isn't bad.

The most important thing is to not gain something back once you've lost it. That's where I fail miserably. If anyone has any secrets in this regard, let me know.
Old Thu Sep 29, 2005, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by newref15
I'm curious on what everyone suggests as training for officiating middle school/freshman ball?

I just tried to join a local association to work these games but can't because I'm over the weight maxiumum for their officials.

Thanks for the help
Is it legal to have this type of provision? I don't know I'm just asking. There are NFL lineman that would be over the weight maximum (I would guess) that would beat 99% of the officials down the court. You might not look good in stripes but what does weight have to do with it if you can get up and down the court?
Old Thu Sep 29, 2005, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gordon30307
Quote:

Thanks for the help
Is it legal to have this type of provision? I don't know I'm just asking. There are NFL lineman that would be over the weight maximum (I would guess) that would beat 99% of the officials down the court. You might not look good in stripes but what does weight have to do with it if you can get up and down the court?
Sure it is. It doesn't exclude any gender or race. It's a physical job and the hiring parties can have minimum physical requirements if they're properly documented. They can't just pull them out of a hat to keep a new applicant out if they've not already had the requirements.
Old Thu Sep 29, 2005, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
Quote:
Originally posted by gordon30307
Quote:

Thanks for the help
Sure it is. It doesn't exclude any gender or race. It's a physical job and the hiring parties can have minimum physical requirements if they're properly documented. They can't just pull them out of a hat to keep a new applicant out if they've not already had the requirements.