The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 16, 2005, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

this

is where you pack up and admit to yourself that maybe officiating isnt for you...

first off -- there will be bodies on the floor during a game where no foul is called (called incidental)

secondly -- if you call this a technical (because technically that's what it is) that's horrible game management

thirdly -- I agree with Ref in PA that NO way this happens -- A1 would have to have a 80" vertical

fourthly -- I agree with Dan_Ref as well -- you cannot have 2 shooters on one shot -- A1 shot ended when A2 attempted a putback.

fifthly -- is it just me or is this a lot out of nothing -- sounds like a normal basketball game
Old Tue Aug 16, 2005, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by eastcoastref
I actually thought, if going strictly by the rulebook, that the foul on B1 would be technical in nature since it occurs after the ball is dead, since the ball becomes dead upon going into the basket.
While the ball does become dead, the foul is not a technical. A personal foul includes contact while the ball is dead on or by an airborn shooter.

Old Tue Aug 16, 2005, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

bob

is right -- and heres an example that happens quite often

shot goes up and as soon as the ball goes through the basket a player who has been boxed out well tries and times his push to create space -- now the basket is good then the push happens -- just a PF -- if on the defense the offense gets 2 (or 3 points) plus the ball back at the spot of foul -- if on the offense -- count the bucket and award a fould to the offensive player (unless im wrong with counting the bucket -- but i see it as happening after the shot and not having anything to do with the shot no need to penalize the offense twice in this case).
Old Tue Aug 16, 2005, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

Along the same lines, what do you have if A1 shoots the ball while airborne, the ball is clearly short of the basket and hits A2 in the head. After the ball hits A2's head B1 fouls A1 while airborne, then the ball enters the basket. Whatcha got?
Old Tue Aug 16, 2005, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

:/

what shoes are A1 wearing -- or is he using a rocket pack to jump -- or does he wear blue and red tights?

id just call the game and go home...or issue a red card to A2 for illegally headding the ball and "t" up B team coach...
Old Tue Aug 16, 2005, 07:43pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
Quote:
Originally posted by SMEngmann
Along the same lines, what do you have if A1 shoots the ball while airborne, the ball is clearly short of the basket and hits A2 in the head. After the ball hits A2's head B1 fouls A1 while airborne, then the ball enters the basket. Whatcha got?
A ticket to a Three Stooges retrospective?
Old Wed Aug 17, 2005, 01:00am
Official Forum Member

Dual airborne shooters. It could be.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref

2 fouls??

I don't think so.

You can send A1 to the line, A2 to the line, or no one to the line.

But no way send both.
Would I send both? No in 99.9999995% of cases.

Could I send both? Absolutely.

A1 shoots - try has started, ball is live.

B1 fouls A1 before A1 comes down to the ground - ball is still live (foul on defense during a shot - 6-7 Exception), the try has not ended (4-40-4).

A2 taps the ball - considered the same as a try, this does not end A1's try, unless the first shot was determined to be "certain(ly) unsuccessful."

B2 fouls A2 - ball is still live, try has not ended.

Two fouls on two shooters equals two shots for each.
A1 became an airborne shooter when s/he shot the ball (under 4.1). Being an airborne shooter doesn't end for A1 till s/he returns to the ground. If there's another shot (a tap is a try), or a technical for A5 screaming 'Duck!', while the airborne shooter is . . . airborne . . . I don't think the rules or the casebook indicates that that status ends any other way than by returning to the ground.

Whether by one foot or two - I am interested in that. A player 'with the ball' gets nothing - if you catch a pass and there's only room/time to get one foot down, that's what you get. You need more, foul on you.

But for an airborne shooter, who by definition aquired the status by getting rid of the ball as a shot, is time and distance relevant, say in the way it is in screening? I don't think so. If the defender has position, and the airborne shooter has a vector forward - well, perhaps that was his/her distance in which to stop. If airborne shooter A1 gets one foot down, then crashes into defender B1 . . . foul on the ground on A1 after the shot (ignoring the dicey issue of whether or not the ball has gone through the basket)? Surely the airborne shooter doesn't have the right to land one-on-to-two . . .
Old Wed Aug 17, 2005, 01:03am
Official Forum Member

Re: this

Quote:
Originally posted by deecee
is where you pack up and admit to yourself that maybe officiating isnt for you...

first off -- there will be bodies on the floor during a game where no foul is called (called incidental)

secondly -- if you call this a technical (because technically that's what it is) that's horrible game management

thirdly -- I agree with Ref in PA that NO way this happens -- A1 would have to have a 80" vertical

fourthly -- I agree with Dan_Ref as well -- you cannot have 2 shooters on one shot -- A1 shot ended when A2 attempted a putback.

fifthly -- is it just me or is this a lot out of nothing -- sounds like a normal basketball game
"fourthly -- I agree with Dan_Ref as well -- you cannot have 2 shooters on one shot -- A1 shot ended when A2 attempted a putback."

Without considering the larger issue, airborne shooter status appears to be defined as terminating when the airborne shooter returns to the floor, not when the try ends.
Old Wed Aug 17, 2005, 01:07am
Official Forum Member

Thanks

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
Originally posted by eastcoastref
I actually thought, if going strictly by the rulebook, that the foul on B1 would be technical in nature since it occurs after the ball is dead, since the ball becomes dead upon going into the basket.
While the ball does become dead, the foul is not a technical. A personal foul includes contact while the ball is dead on or by an airborn shooter.

From the Rules Fundamentals . . . good point.
Old Wed Aug 17, 2005, 07:28am
Official Forum Member

Like I said when I originally posted this, it seems like everyone has a different answer. There have been 20-some repsonses to this thread, yet no one has definitively been able to say what the proper call would be.
Old Wed Aug 17, 2005, 07:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SMEngmann
While the original question is tough, this one is easy.

Since the ball wasn't in flight on a try, the ball becomes dead when the foul is committed. A1 is still an airborne shooter. Wipe the "basket" and award A1 two shots.

Old Wed Aug 17, 2005, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ref in PA
Quote:

A2 taps the ball - considered the same as a try, this does not end A1's try, unless the first shot was determined to be "certain(ly) unsuccessful."
Whoa there partner. Once A2 touches the ball, A1's try has ended. You can't have two active shots going on at the same time. Does that mean you can't have two airborn shooters at the same time? no. The tap by A2 could be a violation, a new try, a bat of a loose ball, etc.
[/b]

I agree, in theory, but where's the rule support for this?

Quote:

A1 must have some serious hang time to shoot a ball, have it miss, have A2 rebound (without a BI/GT violation) and make a shot, then have B1 foul A1 before returning to the floor.
I agree, and this is why I would probably never call it, but humor me for the situation where A1 can jump.
Old Wed Aug 17, 2005, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: this

Quote:
Originally posted by assignmentmaker
Without considering the larger issue, airborne shooter status appears to be defined as terminating when the airborne shooter returns to the floor, not when the try ends.
Precisely. I think this carries more weight than my hypothetical argument about two tries.
Old Wed Aug 17, 2005, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

So in other words .....

No one really has any idea what the correct call is!!!
Old Wed Aug 17, 2005, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Ref in PA
Quote:

Whoa there partner. Once A2 touches the ball, A1's try has ended. You can't have two active shots going on at the same time. Does that mean you can't have two airborn shooters at the same time? no. The tap by A2 could be a violation, a new try, a bat of a loose ball, etc.

I agree, in theory, but where's the rule support for this?

[/B]
The rule support you find is in 4-40-4 "The try ends when the throw is successful, when it is certain the throw is unsuccessful, when the ball touches the floor or when the ball becomes dead."

The only legal touch of a try I can think of is when the try by A1 is on its upward arc (not sure why A2 would block a try by A1). This type of a touch I would consider a pass from A1 to A2, with A2 receiving credit should the ball go in the basket.

All other types of touches by A2 are after the try by A1 has ended or they end the try of A1.

A tap of a try by A1 on its downward arc by A2 that was going into the basket would be GT (9-12). If the ball was not going to go in, A1's try has ended and the touch by A2 is legal.

If the try by A1 did not go in immediately but is on the rim or any part of the ball is within the cylinder above the rim and A2 taps the ball, that is BI (9-11). So for A2 to legally touch the ball, it must be outside the cylinder after the missed shot by A1 - in other words the try by A1 has ended.

Either way the try by A1 ends with the touch of A2. If it was a legal touch by A2, then A2 gets credited with the made basket, not A1, as his try ended.