Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Aug 05, 2005, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KingTripleJump
Quote:
Originally posted by devdog69
I honestly can't believe the question was even asked. How much actual warmup would a bunch of high school boys get if they were allowed an alley-oop dunk fest to show off for the crowd before the game? And yes, there would be injuries, damages, showboating, and ill-feelings before the game even started.
Hmm, I don't know why you gave such a harsh, attitude laced response. But okay.
I hate to see that as well, it discourages legitimate questions. Not everyone here is a veteran of 20 years.

Anyway, I wonder how some define a "dunk". I have yet to officiate a real game yet so I haven't been in the position to call technicals for such actions. However, I've observed plenty of varsity warm-ups and seems to me there are some players coming awfully close. They "throw it down" from above the rim without contacting the rim...it's very close to the line in my opinion.

Where do some of you draw the line? Hand/ball above the cylinder? Contact with the rim? Just curious.
Old Fri Aug 05, 2005, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rizzo21
Quote:
Originally posted by KingTripleJump
Quote:
Originally posted by devdog69
I honestly can't believe the question was even asked. How much actual warmup would a bunch of high school boys get if they were allowed an alley-oop dunk fest to show off for the crowd before the game? And yes, there would be injuries, damages, showboating, and ill-feelings before the game even started.
Hmm, I don't know why you gave such a harsh, attitude laced response. But okay.
I hate to see that as well, it discourages legitimate questions. Not everyone here is a veteran of 20 years.

Anyway, I wonder how some define a "dunk". I have yet to officiate a real game yet so I haven't been in the position to call technicals for such actions. However, I've observed plenty of varsity warm-ups and seems to me there are some players coming awfully close. They "throw it down" from above the rim without contacting the rim...it's very close to the line in my opinion.

Where do some of you draw the line? Hand/ball above the cylinder? Contact with the rim? Just curious.
I know that alot of us guys in this fourm have alot of experience. But there are some guys who are just beginning there journey down this road.

And when they ask a question they are not asking a question just to ask it, they are asking a question because they just dont know.

We do not want to discourage the new official from asking questions because then they will get discouraged and never ask a question. And then where will that get us in this profession.

Just think abt how you would want your questions answered. Lets not give smart answers.

Rizzo

this is how i determine, act like you were watching a real game. When a person dunks the rim shakes and is pulled down.

if they jump up over the rim and just put it in, that is just a layup.

when there is contact on that rim like an actual dunk. you need to call that T

[Edited by Love this Game on Aug 5th, 2005 at 12:14 PM]

15 Year OHSAA BASKETBALL OFFICIAL
10 Year NSA Umpire
Old Fri Aug 05, 2005, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rizzo21
They "throw it down" from above the rim without contacting the rim...
That's a dunk. It's not necessary that they touch the rim.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri Aug 05, 2005, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Strictly by definition, it probably is a dunk. But I would never call a technical for that -- unless I were specifically told by my assignor to do so. As always, JMO.
Old Fri Aug 05, 2005, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Strictly by definition, it probably is a dunk. But I would never call a technical for that -- unless I were specifically told by my assignor to do so. As always, JMO.
That's the walk over to the lay up line and tell them, "Knock that off, don't make me decide if it's a dunk," dunk.

[Edited by blindzebra on Aug 6th, 2005 at 01:46 AM]
Old Sat Aug 06, 2005, 12:30am
Official Forum Member

Relax folks. Deecee is a youngster who is clearly expressing the views of a teenager.

Old Sat Aug 06, 2005, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

Not only is it improper in NFHS but NCAA and NBA games.

I agree the rationale prevents ill-feelings, showboating, etc. The purpose is to warm-up. Tell the teams to warm-up
Old Sun Aug 07, 2005, 12:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Kelvin green
Not only is it improper in NFHS but NCAA and NBA games.

I agree the rationale prevents ill-feelings, showboating, etc. The purpose is to warm-up. Tell the teams to warm-up
But remember that NCAAW are NOT penalized for pregame dunking!
Old Sun Aug 07, 2005, 02:15am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: the chance of a kid getting hurt dunking

Quote:

Kids don't hit their hands on the rim or get them in the net when they're doing layup drills.

Kids don't grab or hang on the rim when they're doing layups.

Kids aren't trying to jump as high as they possibly can when they're doing layup drills.
We're worried about kids hitting their hands on the rim? Wow!!!

Quote:
When was the last time a backboard was broken in my area? Two years ago. In a regular season game, a local kid dunked and shattered the backboard. He was cut on the legs by glass and missed the next two games. Two opponents also received head lacerations. The game was held at Hoke County High School in Raeford NC and could not be finished. I had the next game, three nights later. The replacement backboard arrived and was installed the day of my game. So don't give me the "waht are the chances" bull$hit.
This is legit. We're worried about the equipment and dunks seriously shorten the lifetime of rims and backboards.

Quote:
Now suddenly, we allow all varsity and JV players to TRY to dunk in warmups and you're so naive that you think there won't be damaged equipment and injured players. Perhaps you didn't hear about the kid from Illnois who came to camp a feww weeks ago in Asheville NC. He tried to dunk and fell on his head. He died.
Then why hasn't the NFHS outlawed dunking in games too? Heck, my cousin got hurt jumping once. Maybe the NFHS should outlaw jumping during warm-ups.

Plain and simple, we're worried about the equipment and not the EXTREMELY minor risk to players.
Old Sun Aug 07, 2005, 07:52am
Official Forum Member

plamer, be as sarcastic as you like, I couldn't care less. There isn't one signle concern, there are several and they're all legit. Please give me a single example where equipment would be damaged but you can guarantee that a kid won't be injured. The fact is that you would have almost every kid on a team attempting to dunk during warmups. Kids who are trying to dunk are going to be grabbing the rim. You obviously aren't going to have any of this in the game.

Plain and simple, there's absolutely, positively no need to allow players to dunk during warmup[s. For those who don't like it, get over it, 'cause it ain't gonna change.

[Edited by BktBallRef on Aug 7th, 2005 at 11:59 AM]

Old Sun Aug 07, 2005, 06:19pm
Official Forum Member

Yeah, I'm being sarcastic. I just don't believe that the rule is there to prevent kids from "jumping as high as they can" during warm-up. Hanging on the rim is different than dunking, why bring that up?

It's all about the equipment. Dunking wears the rim down, and you'd hate for it to fail 10 minutes before game time.
Old Mon Aug 08, 2005, 12:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lrpalmer3
Yeah, I'm being sarcastic. I just don't believe that the rule is there to prevent kids from "jumping as high as they can" during warm-up. Hanging on the rim is different than dunking, why bring that up?

It's all about the equipment. Dunking wears the rim down, and you'd hate for it to fail 10 minutes before game time.
I've seen broken fingers, cut fingers, sprained backs, twisted ankles and knees, a broken wrist,a broken leg, and a player knocked unconscious all because of attempted dunks.

I'm sure it's all about the equipment.
Old Mon Aug 08, 2005, 01:07am
Do not give a damn!!

A kid from school a school in the area died while hanging on the rim in North Carolina. I think I posted a link about this awhile back.

Peace
Old Mon Aug 08, 2005, 07:07am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Quote:
Grabbing the rim, hanging on the rim, slapping the backboard and showing off while trying to dunk is what it's all about for a lot of these kids who attempt it during the game. Any intelligent person should be able to see that if it was allowed during warm-ups, it would only be worse.

Old Mon Aug 08, 2005, 07:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Grabbing the rim, hanging on the rim, slapping the backboard and showing off while trying to dunk is what it's all about for a lot of these kids who attempt it during the game. Any intelligent person should be able to see that if it was allowed during warm-ups, it would only be worse.
Very true and they usually refer this to show boating and taunting the opponent.