Official Forum Member

Where to draw the line?

Quote:
Originally posted by Rizzo21
Quote:
Originally posted by KingTripleJump
Quote:
Originally posted by devdog69
I honestly can't believe the question was even asked. How much actual warmup would a bunch of high school boys get if they were allowed an alley-oop dunk fest to show off for the crowd before the game? And yes, there would be injuries, damages, showboating, and ill-feelings before the game even started.
Hmm, I don't know why you gave such a harsh, attitude laced response. But okay.
I hate to see that as well, it discourages legitimate questions. Not everyone here is a veteran of 20 years.

Anyway, I wonder how some define a "dunk". I have yet to officiate a real game yet so I haven't been in the position to call technicals for such actions. However, I've observed plenty of varsity warm-ups and seems to me there are some players coming awfully close. They "throw it down" from above the rim without contacting the rim...it's very close to the line in my opinion.

Where do some of you draw the line? Hand/ball above the cylinder? Contact with the rim? Just curious.
What I do is:

1) a simple lay in gone wrong - the guy grazes the rim, for example - gets an "Are you completely out of your mind?" warning.

2) Unless it has any power to it. Then it's a T right off.