View Single Post
Old Thu Aug 04, 2005, 09:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by KingTripleJump
I always assumed it was to prevent the players from screwing up the rims/backboards before the game even started.

The former interpreter on my board used to tell this story. Big Time D1 School A had to travel for a rivalry game against Big Time D1 School B. Unfortunately, the flu was tearing through School A; classes were empty, students and teachers were sick, the basketball team was decimated. Team A's AD calls Team B and explains the situation. He asks to reschedule the game. Team B's AD realizes this will be an easy win and refuses to reschedule. So Team A saddles up and heads to School B. They come out for warm-ups and the first kid in the lay-up line dunks the ball and then pulls the rim off the backboard. Team A got their postponement. But the next year, dunking in warm-ups was outlawed.

I have no idea if that story is even close to true, but it sounds so good, that I like to re-tell it.

Quote:
You can't exactly get "hurt" dunking in pre-game. Well, some people can...
Didn't some kid in Canada die after attempting a dunk in warm-ups just last year?