The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Logic behind "no dunking in warmups" (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/21630-logic-behind-no-dunking-warmups.html)

KingTripleJump Thu Aug 04, 2005 04:43pm

Anyone?

I hated the fact that when I was in high school, the refs wouldn't let us dunk and now that I officiate, I have to constantly remind players not to do so. So what's the logic behind not dunking?

I always assumed it was to prevent the players from screwing up the rims/backboards before the game even started. You can't exactly get "hurt" dunking in pre-game. Well, some people can...

Mark Padgett Thu Aug 04, 2005 04:44pm

Quote:

Originally posted by KingTripleJump

I always assumed it was to prevent the players from screwing up the rims/backboards before the game even started.

Yup.

devdog69 Thu Aug 04, 2005 05:03pm

I honestly can't believe the question was even asked. How much actual warmup would a bunch of high school boys get if they were allowed an alley-oop dunk fest to show off for the crowd before the game? And yes, there would be injuries, damages, showboating, and ill-feelings before the game even started.

ChrisSportsFan Thu Aug 04, 2005 06:07pm

I remember when sometimes we would get about 5 minutes before the refs came out. We like ta tore those goals out of the ceiling. It's amazing how much higher you can jump with a pep-band, cheerleaders and a packed gym. Seems like it took the rest of the warmups and a couple of minutes of the game to settle down after that. Until we settled dowm it was almost useless to shoot. As a player, we loved to get in the dinks, but I can see where a coach wouldn't like it and if a goal did bust, now the game is either going to have to play on another night or it will be really delayed.

BktBallRef Thu Aug 04, 2005 06:11pm

You would have kids trying to dunk who can't dunk. Those kids would be the ones who would injure themselves or damage equipment.

Further, how would you like to cancel a game because the rim or backboard was damaged during warm-ups? Schools don't have enough money to buy books or pay teachers. They certainly don't have extra money lying around to pay for broken backboards and bent rims.

It short, no good whatsoever would come from allowing kids to dunk during warm-ups.

deecee Thu Aug 04, 2005 06:19pm

except

actual fun for the kids involved -- but that concept died out a long time ago

BktBallRef Thu Aug 04, 2005 08:55pm

Re: except

Quote:

Originally posted by deecee
actual fun for the kids involved -- but that concept died out a long time ago
How much fun is it for the kid that gets injured?

How much fun is it to cancel the game because someone broke the backboard?

Unfortunately kids don't always know what's best for them. That's why we have rules, in basketball and in life.

deecee Thu Aug 04, 2005 09:02pm

the chance of a kid getting hurt dunking

is the same as him during layup drills -- now a game being delayed because of a broken backboard sucks more for who the kids or for us (after all we arent paid by the hour) -- and when was the last time you say a backboard break in basketball -- what are the chances.

The only problem I have with pregame dunks is when said team is using it as intimidation and just acting like idiots -- but the spirit of basketball and all sports are to have fun -- theres a lot of stuff that would suck if someone got hurt but thats sport...you get hurt

ChuckElias Thu Aug 04, 2005 09:15pm

Quote:

Originally posted by KingTripleJump
I always assumed it was to prevent the players from screwing up the rims/backboards before the game even started.

The former interpreter on my board used to tell this story. Big Time D1 School A had to travel for a rivalry game against Big Time D1 School B. Unfortunately, the flu was tearing through School A; classes were empty, students and teachers were sick, the basketball team was decimated. Team A's AD calls Team B and explains the situation. He asks to reschedule the game. Team B's AD realizes this will be an easy win and refuses to reschedule. So Team A saddles up and heads to School B. They come out for warm-ups and the first kid in the lay-up line dunks the ball and then pulls the rim off the backboard. Team A got their postponement. But the next year, dunking in warm-ups was outlawed.

I have no idea if that story is even close to true, but it sounds so good, that I like to re-tell it. :)

Quote:

You can't exactly get "hurt" dunking in pre-game. Well, some people can...
Didn't some kid in Canada die after attempting a dunk in warm-ups just last year?

BktBallRef Thu Aug 04, 2005 09:20pm

Re: the chance of a kid getting hurt dunking

Quote:

is the same as him during layup drills -- now a game being delayed because of a broken backboard sucks more for who the kids or for us (after all we arent paid by the hour) -- and when was the last time you say a backboard break in basketball -- what are the chances.
Kids don't hit their hands on the rim or get them in the net when they're doing layup drills.

Kids don't grab or hang on the rim when they're doing layups.

Kids aren't trying to jump as high as they possibly can when they're doing layup drills.

When was the last time a backboard was broken in my area? Two years ago. In a regular season game, a local kid dunked and shattered the backboard. He was cut on the legs by glass and missed the next two games. Two opponents also received head lacerations. The game was held at Hoke County High School in Raeford NC and could not be finished. I had the next game, three nights later. The replacement backboard arrived and was installed the day of my game. So don't give me the "waht are the chances" bull$hit.

Now suddenly, we allow all varsity and JV players to TRY to dunk in warmups and you're so naive that you think there won't be damaged equipment and injured players. Perhaps you didn't hear about the kid from Illnois who came to camp a feww weeks ago in Asheville NC. He tried to dunk and fell on his head. He died.

Nah, you're absolutely right. There's no reason whatsoever to have this rule.

Give me a freakin' break.

devdog69 Thu Aug 04, 2005 09:28pm

Quote:

The only problem I have with pregame dunks is when said team is using it as intimidation and just acting like idiots -- but the spirit of basketball and all sports are to have fun -- theres a lot of stuff that would suck if someone got hurt but thats sport...you get hurt

I'm assuming you are an out of work actuary? Since you are stating that you can assess the chances of two events happening and you apparently are sitting on your own head...

KingTripleJump Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:41pm

Quote:

Originally posted by devdog69
I honestly can't believe the question was even asked. How much actual warmup would a bunch of high school boys get if they were allowed an alley-oop dunk fest to show off for the crowd before the game? And yes, there would be injuries, damages, showboating, and ill-feelings before the game even started.
Hmm, I don't know why you gave such a harsh, attitude laced response. But okay.

rainmaker Fri Aug 05, 2005 01:13am

Hey, go easy on the poor guy. It may be that he does mostly girls, and doesn't realize the dangers of dunking. Even at the varsity level, it's not much of a discussion on the girls' side of the gym.

blindzebra Fri Aug 05, 2005 02:44am

Re: Re: the chance of a kid getting hurt dunking

Quote:

Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:

Kids don't hit their hands on the rim or get them in the net when they're doing layup drills.

Kids don't grab or hang on the rim when they're doing layups.

Kids aren't trying to jump as high as they possibly can when they're doing layup drills.

When was the last time a backboard was broken in my area? Two years ago. In a regular season game, a local kid dunked and shattered the backboard. He was cut on the legs by glass and missed the next two games. Two opponents also received head lacerations. The game was held at Hoke County High School in Raeford NC and could not be finished. I had the next game, three nights later. The replacement backboard arrived and was installed the day of my game. So don't give me the "waht are the chances" bull$hit.

Now suddenly, we allow all varsity and JV players to TRY to dunk in warmups and you're so naive that you think there won't be damaged equipment and injured players. Perhaps you didn't hear about the kid from Illnois who came to camp a feww weeks ago in Asheville NC. He tried to dunk and fell on his head. He died.

Nah, you're absolutely right. There's no reason whatsoever to have this rule.

Give me a freakin' break.

You forgot the "he's 6 inches too short/underside of the rim" jam, with back breaking fall to the floor, dunk.:D

w_sohl Fri Aug 05, 2005 09:07am

Quote:

This sounds alot like the crap you hear from coaches and fans when enforcing the rules.

"Awe, come on ref, let the kids play, your not the show!"

I had a coach get angry with me because we had a T on a kid for dunking in pre-game warmups. He was actually angry with me because his kid was a dumb a**. Normally I try to miss it because it happens so rarely, but I was looking right at the warm-up and the opposing coach looked right at me like with the expression of, aren't you going to take care of that. I had no choice that time.