View Single Post
Old Thu Aug 04, 2005, 09:20pm
Official Forum Member

Re: the chance of a kid getting hurt dunking

Quote:
Originally posted by deecee
is the same as him during layup drills -- now a game being delayed because of a broken backboard sucks more for who the kids or for us (after all we arent paid by the hour) -- and when was the last time you say a backboard break in basketball -- what are the chances.
Kids don't hit their hands on the rim or get them in the net when they're doing layup drills.

Kids don't grab or hang on the rim when they're doing layups.

Kids aren't trying to jump as high as they possibly can when they're doing layup drills.

When was the last time a backboard was broken in my area? Two years ago. In a regular season game, a local kid dunked and shattered the backboard. He was cut on the legs by glass and missed the next two games. Two opponents also received head lacerations. The game was held at Hoke County High School in Raeford NC and could not be finished. I had the next game, three nights later. The replacement backboard arrived and was installed the day of my game. So don't give me the "waht are the chances" bull$hit.

Now suddenly, we allow all varsity and JV players to TRY to dunk in warmups and you're so naive that you think there won't be damaged equipment and injured players. Perhaps you didn't hear about the kid from Illnois who came to camp a feww weeks ago in Asheville NC. He tried to dunk and fell on his head. He died.

Nah, you're absolutely right. There's no reason whatsoever to have this rule.

Give me a freakin' break.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith