The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 09, 2005, 06:51pm
Official Forum Member

On a two shot foul, doesn't the defense still have to occupy the first two lane spaces on the first shot? The rule book says the spaces "shall be occupied" and I don't see any distinction for the first shot of a two shot foul. My partner allowed the defensive coach to call his whole team over for a quick huddle on two different occasions. We discussed it after the game and I got out the rule book and we agreed we didn't think they can do that even on a two shot foul. It may not make sense but the rule book says they "shall be occupied". Is this the correct interpretation?? Thanks.
Old Wed Feb 09, 2005, 06:55pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by vawils
On a two shot foul, doesn't the defense still have to occupy the first two lane spaces on the first shot? The rule book says the spaces "shall be occupied" and I don't see any distinction for the first shot of a two shot foul. My partner allowed the defensive coach to call his whole team over for a quick huddle on two different occasions. We discussed it after the game and I got out the rule book and we agreed we didn't think they can do that even on a two shot foul. It may not make sense but the rule book says they "shall be occupied". Is this the correct interpretation?? Thanks.
If the throws are after a time-out or intermission (quarter break), it's legal under the resuming play procedure. If that first shot is missed, the shooter gets a replacement shot. From then on, the bottom spaces must bne occupied.

If it's not after a time-out or intermission, it's a technical foul for delay of game. No warning required.
Old Wed Feb 09, 2005, 08:48pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
1) If the throws are after a time-out or intermission (quarter break), it's legal under the resuming play procedure. If that first shot is missed, the shooter gets a replacement shot. From then on, the bottom spaces must be occupied.

2) If it's not after a time-out or intermission, it's a technical foul for delay of game. No warning required.
1) Wrong verbiage, Juulie. it's not legal. It's illegal--i.e. a violation for failing to fill the spots. If the first shot is made, you ignore the violation and shoot the second shot. If the first shot is missed, it's a violation and the FT shooter gets a replacement FT. If the defense doesn't fill the lanes before the ball becomes live, then you you nail them with a team "T" for delay. If the first FT was good, then you repeat the procedure for the second FT- violation if the spots still aren't filled, ignore violation if second FT is good, replacement FT if the second FT is no good and the defense still hadn't filled the spots.

2) Nope, it's just a violation- not a "T"- if the FT is missed. It's a "T" if they do it again on the replacement FT. Ignore the violation if the FT was made.

Case book play 9.1.2SitA and rule 9-1-2Penalty.

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on Feb 9th, 2005 at 08:53 PM]
Old Wed Feb 09, 2005, 09:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Quote:
2) If it's not after a time-out or intermission, it's a technical foul for delay of game. No warning required.
2) Nope, it's just a violation- not a "T"- if the FT is missed. It's a "T" if they do it again on the replacement FT. Ignore the violation if the FT was made.

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on Feb 9th, 2005 at 08:53 PM]
Check out case book 10.1.5 Situation C Example b.
As I read it, for a non resuption-of-play sitch, Team B will be directed to take their positions or a "T" will be assessed for delay of game... No violation mentioned here..

Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day.
Teach a man to fish and he could be gone every weekend.
Old Wed Feb 09, 2005, 10:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:

Jurassic --

The first sentence of 9.1.2 Sit A reads, "Following a time-out by Team B, A1 is given the ball for the first of two free throws..." That looks to me like the RPP, not a normal free throw sitch.

You may atone for your inattention to detail by rolling in deer $h!t and chasing ducks.
Old Wed Feb 09, 2005, 11:55pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Jurassic --

The first sentence of 9.1.2 Sit A reads, "Following a time-out by Team B, A1 is given the ball for the first of two free throws..." That looks to me like the RPP, not a normal free throw sitch.

You may atone for your inattention to detail by rolling in deer $h!t and chasing ducks.
ROTFLMAO!!!!!
Old Thu Feb 10, 2005, 08:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The FED rules have been given above (call the team into the spots, and issue a T if they don't comply).

The NCAA interp (issued in some memo this year) is different -- it's just a violation.
Old Thu Feb 10, 2005, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Jurassic --

ROTFLMAO!!!!!
I've been on this board for three or four years, and I can count on one hand the ROTFLMAO's I've received. That feels great. But what's even better is catching Jurassic in a mistake. Wednesday was awful for me in a number of ways, but I'd do it all again twice just for that one great thing. Red star on the calendar!
Old Thu Feb 10, 2005, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

I had a similar situation we discussed a few eeks ago here. We made the coache fill the lane spaces. The consensus from our earlier discussion was to make the coach fill the spaces or call a T for delay. Mine was a boys varsity game so we had one official go to the coach and tell him he must fill the lane spaces. He did and the game went on with no problems.
Old Thu Feb 10, 2005, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to SteveM
Talking

"You may atone for your inattention to detail by rolling in deer $h!t and chasing ducks."

Geesh, I'd hate to make her mad...
Old Thu Feb 10, 2005, 05:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by johnnyrao
I had a similar situation we discussed a few eeks ago...
That scary, huh?