The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 04, 2005, 12:21am
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb

Here is the remaining story about the fight I posted.

Minnoy must sit for 2 more games
Says penalty is too severe

By Bob Sakamoto
Tribune staff reporter

January 3, 2005, 10:06 PM CST

Hales Franciscan star Nate Minnoy says he doesn't believe he should be suspended for two more games and put on probation after his altercation with a fan at last week's Big Dipper basketball tournament at Rich South.

"I don't understand the severity of all this stuff," Minnoy said Monday after the school handed down the additional suspension and the Illinois High School Association placed him on probation. "According to the IHSA's rules, I've already served my (one-game) suspension for being ejected from a game.

"I am very sorry for what happened and for the negative light being placed on my team and my school. But I was provoked, and when somebody disrespects me for no reason, I'm not going to stand for it. I'll serve my suspension gracefully and spend the next two weeks getting myself ready mentally for the rest of the season."

The 6-foot-4-inch forward, who has signed with Purdue, will miss Friday's game against Guerin and a Jan. 16 game against Farragut and will return Jan. 18 game against De La Salle.

Minnoy said he took one step into the bleachers at Rich South last Wednesday during Hales' victory over Bloom to confront the father of a Bloom player. Security quickly moved in and no punches were thrown. Minnoy and the unruly fan were taken to the Richton Park police station and cited for disorderly conduct.

"We can't tolerate this, and it has no place in high school sports," IHSA Executive Director Marty Hickman said. "We approve of the school's quick and appropriate action. We're also putting Minnoy on probation for the rest of the season. Any additional unsportsmanlike acts could lead to more sanctions, including the possibility of being suspended for the rest of the season."

Minnoy's behavior follows the November incident when the Pacers' Ron Artest went into the Palace of Auburn Hills stands and fought with fans.

"I wasn't thinking about Ron Artest when it happened," Minnoy said. "People can say I have a temper, but I'm a very competitive person and I'll do what I have to in order to get the job done. Basketball is serious to me."

After two fights between players and fans in Ohio, that state's high school athletic association implemented a new rule with a minimum penalty of a one-year suspension for athletes going into the stands or fighting with fans.
Copyright © 2005, The Chicago Tribune
Old Tue Jan 04, 2005, 12:25am
Official Forum Member

Kids crazy ...

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Here is the remaining story about the fight I posted.

Minnoy must sit for 2 more games
Says penalty is too severe

By Bob Sakamoto
Tribune staff reporter

January 3, 2005, 10:06 PM CST

Hales Franciscan star Nate Minnoy says he doesn't believe he should be suspended for two more games and put on probation after his altercation with a fan at last week's Big Dipper basketball tournament at Rich South.

"I don't understand the severity of all this stuff," Minnoy said Monday after the school handed down the additional suspension and the Illinois High School Association placed him on probation. "According to the IHSA's rules, I've already served my (one-game) suspension for being ejected from a game.

"I am very sorry for what happened and for the negative light being placed on my team and my school. But I was provoked, and when somebody disrespects me for no reason, I'm not going to stand for it. I'll serve my suspension gracefully and spend the next two weeks getting myself ready mentally for the rest of the season."

The 6-foot-4-inch forward, who has signed with Purdue, will miss Friday's game against Guerin and a Jan. 16 game against Farragut and will return Jan. 18 game against De La Salle.

Minnoy said he took one step into the bleachers at Rich South last Wednesday during Hales' victory over Bloom to confront the father of a Bloom player. Security quickly moved in and no punches were thrown. Minnoy and the unruly fan were taken to the Richton Park police station and cited for disorderly conduct.

"We can't tolerate this, and it has no place in high school sports," IHSA Executive Director Marty Hickman said. "We approve of the school's quick and appropriate action. We're also putting Minnoy on probation for the rest of the season. Any additional unsportsmanlike acts could lead to more sanctions, including the possibility of being suspended for the rest of the season."

Minnoy's behavior follows the November incident when the Pacers' Ron Artest went into the Palace of Auburn Hills stands and fought with fans.

"I wasn't thinking about Ron Artest when it happened," Minnoy said. "People can say I have a temper, but I'm a very competitive person and I'll do what I have to in order to get the job done. Basketball is serious to me."

After two fights between players and fans in Ohio, that state's high school athletic association implemented a new rule with a minimum penalty of a one-year suspension for athletes going into the stands or fighting with fans.
Copyright © 2005, The Chicago Tribune
Obviously the kids crazy. He needs to just skip going to Purdue and go on straight to the NBA - he would be welcomed there.

SIGH!

thanks
David
Old Tue Jan 04, 2005, 12:28am
M.A.S.H.

Thumbs up

Two thumbs up for the IHSA. Send a message and send it quick. Because this can only get worse. I'm glad the IHSA took an action and are standing strong by it.
Old Tue Jan 04, 2005, 12:35am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

(snip)

(snip)
I don't know what was said by the fan, but I think we have some serious issues to deal with when a player from one team is so concerned with the opinions of an opponent's parent that he has to confront him in the stands. I can understand being miffed at getting "disrespected," but an athlete of his apparent caliber needs to be able to have the discipline to let security deal with it.
Where is the self control? The discipline? He's obviously developed the physical discipline to elevate his talent to a very high level, I'm surprised at his lack of emotional discipline.
And his comments about being competitive are a complete non-sequiter here. What "job" was he getting done by answering the disrespect? His actions had no positive effect on his team or the game in question. In fact the opposite is quite obviously the case.
I'm seriously having trouble understanding how being "disrespected" is an offense worth risking a season or hurting your team for.
Old Tue Jan 04, 2005, 12:49am
Official Forum Member

There is that "disrespected" word again. Sigh. Too bad kids (and NBA players) can't just ignore the idiots (AKA losers) in the stands and realize that walking away is not only the best reaction for the player, but that 99% of those watching would "respect" that reaction.

Z
Old Tue Jan 04, 2005, 12:55am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
There is that "disrespected" word again. Sigh. Too bad kids (and NBA players) can't just ignore the idiots (AKA losers) in the stands and realize that walking away is not only the best reaction for the player, but that 99% of those watching would "respect" that reaction.
Well said.
Old Tue Jan 04, 2005, 01:06am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

Z
That is interesting. How many fights happen during NBA games with fans and players? You know with all the rampant fighting, I really do not know how the league functions.

Peace
Old Tue Jan 04, 2005, 01:49am
Official Forum Member

Purdue's opponents will know this guy has a short fuse and take him out of his game, at least mentally, if not physically. When I was coaching, I'd do some "psychological scouting" and found some weaknesses in the psyche of opponents. Sometimes all it took was aggressive defense on that individual and they were done for the game.
Old Tue Jan 04, 2005, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

If this kid has already signed with Perdue, he must be a pretty strong player and quite an athlete, he needs to get strong mentally or it will be a long 4 years whenever they go on the road. Now that they know he's vulnerable, just wait til those students sections get after it when he's on the road.

There is no way this should have been allowed to get this bad at a HS game but it did, and now that he's got history here, WOW!
Old Tue Jan 04, 2005, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:

Z
That is interesting. How many fights happen during NBA games with fans and players? You know with all the rampant fighting, I really do not know how the league functions.

Peace
Another intelligent contribution from Rut. Good to see that 2005 will bring more "gems" from him.

Z
Old Tue Jan 04, 2005, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells
I don't know what was said by the fan, but I think we have some serious issues to deal with when a player from one team is so concerned with the opinions of an opponent's parent that he has to confront him in the stands. I can understand being miffed at getting "disrespected," but an athlete of his apparent caliber needs to be able to have the discipline to let security deal with it.
Where is the self control? The discipline? He's obviously developed the physical discipline to elevate his talent to a very high level, I'm surprised at his lack of emotional discipline.
And his comments about being competitive are a complete non-sequiter here. What "job" was he getting done by answering the disrespect? His actions had no positive effect on his team or the game in question. In fact the opposite is quite obviously the case.
I'm seriously having trouble understanding how being "disrespected" is an offense worth risking a season or hurting your team for.
Understand? Disrespected? Puhleeeeeeezzzzze!

If this issue of "disrespect" isn't one of the biggest crocks of $hit to hit our culture over the last generation then I don't know what is. All this jibberish about getting "dissed" and the fear of being viewed as "weak". If people spent 1/10 the amount of time investing in working on their people skills as they do worrying about who is talking negatively about them then the world would be a better place.

Too much fist pumping, chest thumping, and trash talking.....don't tell me how good you are, show me! Then when you show me TRY to be somewhat humble and act graciously THAT is what will earn you the respect you covet. Peace Out!
Old Tue Jan 04, 2005, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

Not very well

Quote:
Quote:

Z

Peace
Just look at the numbers and its NOT functioning very well at the time. Their TV numbers are way down, and a lot of it has to do with the attitudes of the players.

A lot more of the taunting and bickering with the fans goes on than is put on TV because they want to "try" and keep the "image" of the players looking good so they league with prosper.

The number of fights in an NBA game were up I believe it was reported 35% last year.

So, yes it is a big problem and its a lot easier to pick on someone in the stands than to pick on someone your own size. Funny we don't see Shaq getting in many fights.

Thanks
David
Old Tue Jan 04, 2005, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

Angry

After all these years being told size doesn't matter....lies, all lies!
Old Tue Jan 04, 2005, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Robmoz
Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells
Understand? Disrespected? Puhleeeeeeezzzzze!

If this issue of "disrespect" isn't one of the biggest crocks of $hit to hit our culture over the last generation then I don't know what is. All this jibberish about getting "dissed" and the fear of being viewed as "weak". If people spent 1/10 the amount of time investing in working on their people skills as they do worrying about who is talking negatively about them then the world would be a better place.

Too much fist pumping, chest thumping, and trash talking.....don't tell me how good you are, show me! Then when you show me TRY to be somewhat humble and act graciously THAT is what will earn you the respect you covet. Peace Out!
Pretty much, you said it all. It used to be that if you felt disrespected, you'd work harder to earn someones respect rather than stating it in public and expecting to influence peoples opinions.
Old Tue Jan 04, 2005, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

He's a 17 or 18 year old kid finding his way in the world. The school suspended him for two more games. If he learns from it he will be a stronger person. He was definitely wrong and has suffered the consequences and deservedly so. We've all done stupid things in High School that we latter regretted doing. The one who should know better is the adult who childishly called him names. This person should be banned for the remainder of the season from attending his kid's games. IMHO.