View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 04, 2005, 12:35am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge

(snip)
"I am very sorry for what happened and for the negative light being placed on my team and my school. But I was provoked, and when somebody disrespects me for no reason, I'm not going to stand for it. I'll serve my suspension gracefully and spend the next two weeks getting myself ready mentally for the rest of the season."

(snip)
"I wasn't thinking about Ron Artest when it happened," Minnoy said. "People can say I have a temper, but I'm a very competitive person and I'll do what I have to in order to get the job done. Basketball is serious to me."
I don't know what was said by the fan, but I think we have some serious issues to deal with when a player from one team is so concerned with the opinions of an opponent's parent that he has to confront him in the stands. I can understand being miffed at getting "disrespected," but an athlete of his apparent caliber needs to be able to have the discipline to let security deal with it.
Where is the self control? The discipline? He's obviously developed the physical discipline to elevate his talent to a very high level, I'm surprised at his lack of emotional discipline.
And his comments about being competitive are a complete non-sequiter here. What "job" was he getting done by answering the disrespect? His actions had no positive effect on his team or the game in question. In fact the opposite is quite obviously the case.
I'm seriously having trouble understanding how being "disrespected" is an offense worth risking a season or hurting your team for.