View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 04, 2005, 12:21am
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb

Here is the remaining story about the fight I posted.

Minnoy must sit for 2 more games
Says penalty is too severe

By Bob Sakamoto
Tribune staff reporter

January 3, 2005, 10:06 PM CST

Hales Franciscan star Nate Minnoy says he doesn't believe he should be suspended for two more games and put on probation after his altercation with a fan at last week's Big Dipper basketball tournament at Rich South.

"I don't understand the severity of all this stuff," Minnoy said Monday after the school handed down the additional suspension and the Illinois High School Association placed him on probation. "According to the IHSA's rules, I've already served my (one-game) suspension for being ejected from a game.

"I am very sorry for what happened and for the negative light being placed on my team and my school. But I was provoked, and when somebody disrespects me for no reason, I'm not going to stand for it. I'll serve my suspension gracefully and spend the next two weeks getting myself ready mentally for the rest of the season."

The 6-foot-4-inch forward, who has signed with Purdue, will miss Friday's game against Guerin and a Jan. 16 game against Farragut and will return Jan. 18 game against De La Salle.

Minnoy said he took one step into the bleachers at Rich South last Wednesday during Hales' victory over Bloom to confront the father of a Bloom player. Security quickly moved in and no punches were thrown. Minnoy and the unruly fan were taken to the Richton Park police station and cited for disorderly conduct.

"We can't tolerate this, and it has no place in high school sports," IHSA Executive Director Marty Hickman said. "We approve of the school's quick and appropriate action. We're also putting Minnoy on probation for the rest of the season. Any additional unsportsmanlike acts could lead to more sanctions, including the possibility of being suspended for the rest of the season."

Minnoy's behavior follows the November incident when the Pacers' Ron Artest went into the Palace of Auburn Hills stands and fought with fans.

"I wasn't thinking about Ron Artest when it happened," Minnoy said. "People can say I have a temper, but I'm a very competitive person and I'll do what I have to in order to get the job done. Basketball is serious to me."

After two fights between players and fans in Ohio, that state's high school athletic association implemented a new rule with a minimum penalty of a one-year suspension for athletes going into the stands or fighting with fans.
Copyright © 2005, The Chicago Tribune