The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 12, 2004, 06:19pm
Official Forum Member

A1 has a spot throw-in at the division line. The throw-in goes through A1's hoop before being touched so we have a violation. Is B1's ensuing throw-in at the spot of the violation (spot throw-in the endline under Team A's hoop) or is it back at the original spot, similar to a throw-in that goes out of bounds without touching a player and also a throw-in that is touched by the thrower inbounds before any other player touches it?

Rule reference and/or case book reference please.

Thanks,

Z
Old Sun Dec 12, 2004, 06:21pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
A1 has a spot throw-in at the division line. The throw-in goes through A1's hoop before being touched so we have a violation. Is B1's ensuing throw-in at the spot of the violation (spot throw-in the endline under Team A's hoop) or is it back at the original spot, similar to a throw-in that goes out of bounds without touching a player and also a throw-in that is touched by the thrower inbounds before any other player touches it?

Thanks,

Z
Original throw-in spot. Fed 9-2-7 Penalty.
Old Sun Dec 12, 2004, 06:27pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by JugglingReferee
Quote:

Thanks,

Z

JugglingReferee:

I agree with you that Team B's throw-in is at the spot of Team A's throw-in, but the 2004-05 NFHS Casebook does not have a Play 9.2.7. Could you have been looking and the 2003-04 NFHS Casebook?

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Dec 12, 2004, 06:42pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Is B1's ensuing throw-in at the spot of the violation
Yes.

Quote:
(spot throw-in the endline under Team A's hoop)
Uh, no. The spot of the violation is the original throw-in spot. The play you describe is a violation of the throw-in rules; not a "floor" violation. Since the inbounder is the one who committed the violation, that's where the violation occurred and where the new throw-in will be taken.
Old Sun Dec 12, 2004, 07:20pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks,

Z
JugglingReferee:

I agree with you that Team B's throw-in is at the spot of Team A's throw-in, but the 2004-05 NFHS Casebook does not have a Play 9.2.7. Could you have been looking and the 2003-04 NFHS Casebook?

MTD, Sr.
You're losing it, ol' feller!

Mikey said the RULES reference was 9-2-7PENALTY. Mikey was 117% right. Note that Mikey put l'il dashes between his numbers. Note that Mikey didn't put l'il dots between his numbers.

Now say "I'm sorry, Mikey".
Old Sun Dec 12, 2004, 07:59pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks,

Z
JugglingReferee:

MTD, Sr.
You're losing it, ol' feller!

Mikey said the RULES reference was 9-2-7PENALTY. Mikey was 117% right. Note that Mikey put l'il dashes between his numbers. Note that Mikey didn't put l'il dots between his numbers.

Now say "I'm sorry, Mikey".

JR:

I was agreeing with his ruling, I just was looking in the Casebook instead of the Rule Book. And yes, NFHS R9-S2-A7, Penalty is what I should have been reading and looking for 9.2.7 in the Casebook. I forgot the "hyphens" means Rules, and "periods" means Casebook.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Dec 12, 2004, 08:09pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
I was agreeing with his ruling, I just was looking in the Casebook instead of the Rule Book. And yes, NFHS R9-S2-A7, Penalty is what I should have been reading and looking for 9.2.7 in the Casebook. I forgot the "hyphens" means Rules, and "periods" means Casebook.

MTD, Sr.
Funny because after reading your first post, Mark, I recalled the rule here about the dots and dashes. I admittingly have no idea which one is which.

If I used the right deliminator, I got lucky.