The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Throw-in spot after throw-in violation (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/16968-throw-spot-after-throw-violation.html)

zebraman Sun Dec 12, 2004 06:19pm

A1 has a spot throw-in at the division line. The throw-in goes through A1's hoop before being touched so we have a violation. Is B1's ensuing throw-in at the spot of the violation (spot throw-in the endline under Team A's hoop) or is it back at the original spot, similar to a throw-in that goes out of bounds without touching a player and also a throw-in that is touched by the thrower inbounds before any other player touches it?

Rule reference and/or case book reference please.

Thanks,

Z

JugglingReferee Sun Dec 12, 2004 06:21pm

Quote:

Originally posted by zebraman
A1 has a spot throw-in at the division line. The throw-in goes through A1's hoop before being touched so we have a violation. Is B1's ensuing throw-in at the spot of the violation (spot throw-in the endline under Team A's hoop) or is it back at the original spot, similar to a throw-in that goes out of bounds without touching a player and also a throw-in that is touched by the thrower inbounds before any other player touches it?

Thanks,

Z

Original throw-in spot. Fed 9-2-7 Penalty.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Sun Dec 12, 2004 06:27pm

Quote:

Originally posted by JugglingReferee
Quote:

Thanks,

Z

JugglingReferee:

I agree with you that Team B's throw-in is at the spot of Team A's throw-in, but the 2004-05 NFHS Casebook does not have a Play 9.2.7. Could you have been looking and the 2003-04 NFHS Casebook?

MTD, Sr.

ChuckElias Sun Dec 12, 2004 06:42pm

Quote:

Is B1's ensuing throw-in at the spot of the violation
Yes.

Quote:

(spot throw-in the endline under Team A's hoop)
Uh, no. The spot of the violation is the original throw-in spot. The play you describe is a violation of the throw-in rules; not a "floor" violation. Since the inbounder is the one who committed the violation, that's where the violation occurred and where the new throw-in will be taken.

Jurassic Referee Sun Dec 12, 2004 07:20pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Quote:

Quote:

<font color = red>Rule reference</font> and/or case book reference please.

Thanks,

Z

JugglingReferee:

I agree with you that Team B's throw-in is at the spot of Team A's throw-in, but the 2004-05 NFHS Casebook does not have a Play 9.2.7. Could you have been looking and the 2003-04 NFHS Casebook?

MTD, Sr.

You're losing it, ol' feller!

Mikey said the RULES reference was 9-2-7PENALTY. Mikey was 117% right. Note that Mikey put l'il dashes between his numbers. Note that Mikey didn't put l'il dots between his numbers.

Now say "I'm sorry, Mikey". :D

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Sun Dec 12, 2004 07:59pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

<font color = red>Rule reference</font> and/or case book reference please.

Thanks,

Z

JugglingReferee:

MTD, Sr.

You're losing it, ol' feller!

Mikey said the RULES reference was 9-2-7PENALTY. Mikey was 117% right. Note that Mikey put l'il dashes between his numbers. Note that Mikey didn't put l'il dots between his numbers.

Now say "I'm sorry, Mikey". :D

JR:

I was agreeing with his ruling, I just was looking in the Casebook instead of the Rule Book. And yes, NFHS R9-S2-A7, Penalty is what I should have been reading and looking for 9.2.7 in the Casebook. I forgot the "hyphens" means Rules, and "periods" means Casebook.

MTD, Sr.

JugglingReferee Sun Dec 12, 2004 08:09pm

Quote:

I was agreeing with his ruling, I just was looking in the Casebook instead of the Rule Book. And yes, NFHS R9-S2-A7, Penalty is what I should have been reading and looking for 9.2.7 in the Casebook. I forgot the "hyphens" means Rules, and "periods" means Casebook.

MTD, Sr.

Funny because after reading your first post, Mark, I recalled the rule here about the dots and dashes. I admittingly have no idea which one is which. :)

If I used the right deliminator, I got lucky.