The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 08, 2004, 05:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by blindzebra

If it does not hit anything and they catch it in the air it's a walk.
Actually it is an illegal dribble if the player's pivot foot moved. See 4.15.4 sit E. A player cannot travel without holding the ball.
Old Wed Dec 08, 2004, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

I'm not sure I understand the logic here

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by GregAlan
I worked a junior high girls' game last night.

Blue team has ball OOB for throw-in under their basket. Blue player inbounds the ball in the key. Red player intercepts the pass, and shoots at the blue team's basket. The shot doesn't go in, and the red player rebounds her missed shot, and then starts to go up for another attempt. My partner blows his whistle for dead ball, and starts to give the ball back to the blue team for another OOB throw-in. The red team's coach starts yelling, and says we should have left well alone and not blown the whistle. He says his team should have the ball OOB as his player had possession when the whistle was blown.

I figure we blew the call, but what is the correct call here? And if we didn't blow the whistle and the red player had scored in the blue team's basket, then what? I have read this a few times, but my muddled brain can't remember.

GregAlan
You start a 10 second back court count. If they dribble, "shoot" and catch the ball, without it touching another player, or "shoot" catch and dribble you have a double dribble. If they make the shot, you blow your whistle, count the basket for the other team and give the ball to the team that made the basket at the wrong goal, with the endline to run.
BZ,

Are you saying that a player who attempts a shot at their opponents goal is not entitled to catch the ball if it was short of the goal? I know that once a shot attempt is made there is no team or player control. So the shooter could catch the ball as long as it was an attempt in the officials judgement. Are you saying this does not apply to a player shooting at the wrong goal?

Also throwing a ball against the opponents backboard is considered the start of a dribble. The player could catch the ball and still shoot. Could she not? There would be no violation. If the shot hit the backboard are you considering this the start of another dribble, thus an illegal dribble?

Thanks!
Randall
Old Wed Dec 08, 2004, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Quote:

Actually it is an illegal dribble if the player's pivot foot moved. See 4.15.4 sit E. A player cannot travel without holding the ball.
I am going to call you out on that one Nev. I am sure you can think of a couple of ways to travel without holding the ball. I will give you another chance before I post a couple.
Old Wed Dec 08, 2004, 10:48am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Re: I'm not sure I understand the logic here

Quote:
Originally posted by rwest
Are you saying that a player who attempts a shot at their opponents goal is not entitled to catch the ball if it was short of the goal? I know that once a shot attempt is made there is no team or player control. So the shooter could catch the ball as long as it was an attempt in the officials judgement. Are you saying this does not apply to a player shooting at the wrong goal?

Also throwing a ball against the opponents backboard is considered the start of a dribble. The player could catch the ball and still shoot. Could she not? There would be no violation. If the shot hit the backboard are you considering this the start of another dribble, thus an illegal dribble?
Correct, Randall. The opponents backboard is considered part of the floor for this purpose. If a player shoots towards the wrong hoop, they are not entitled to a "rebound". It is treated as a dribble/pass rather than a shot.
Therefore, if the player has already ended a dribble, and gets their own "rebound" off the wrong basket, it's a double dribble. If they take a jump shot and get their own rebound, it's a travel. If they haven't started a dribble, and get the rebound with both hands, it's legal, but they no longer can dribble.
Old Wed Dec 08, 2004, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

Re: I'm not sure I understand the logic here

Quote:
Are you saying that a player who attempts a shot at their opponents goal is not entitled to catch the ball if it was short of the goal?
there's no such thing as a "shot (try) at their opponent goal."

That should make the rest of the post / rule easier to understand.

Old Wed Dec 08, 2004, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

Talking Questions for Clarification

These statements/questions assume the player is shooting at the wrong basket. Correct me where I'm wrong. If you can, provide the rule and/or case play.

1. If the player has not ended her dribble, then throwing the ball against the backboard does not constitute an illegal dribble. I back this up with Case 4.15.4 which clearly states that the dribble came to an end. I'm assuming this would not be a violation if the opposite where true, that the player did not start and then end a dribble. In this situation the player could only throw the ball against the backboard once. Also she could not dribble after catching the ball, but the initial throw is not a violation.

2. Does the ball have to hit only the backboard to be considered the start of a dribble? What if it hits only the rim or the backboard and then the rim or the rim and then the backboard? Sorry I'm being too anal here, but I'm wondering if it makes a difference.

3. If the player had ended her dribble and throws toward the wrong goal, when do you call the violation? If it hits the backboard do you kill it then and call an illegal dribble? What if it hits the rim? Or do you wait until she catches it?

4. Could A travel only be called if she attempted a shot and missed everything and them moved her feet in getting the ball? There could be no travel if she did not move both feet, correct? A pass to oneself, if it doesn't hit the ground, is considered a travel or illegal dribble?

Thanks!
Randall
Old Wed Dec 08, 2004, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Questions for Clarification

Quote:
These statements/questions assume the player is shooting at the wrong basket. Correct me where I'm wrong. If you can, provide the rule and/or case play.

1. If the player has not ended her dribble, then throwing the ball against the backboard does not constitute an illegal dribble. I back this up with Case 4.15.4 which clearly states that the dribble came to an end. I'm assuming this would not be a violation if the opposite where true, that the player did not start and then end a dribble. In this situation the player could only throw the ball against the backboard once. Also she could not dribble after catching the ball, but the initial throw is not a violation.
If the player has not dribbled, throwing the ball off the opponent's backboard and touching the ball constitutes a legal dribble. If the "touching" is also "catching" then the player cannot dribble again.

Quote:
2. Does the ball have to hit only the backboard to be considered the start of a dribble? What if it hits only the rim or the backboard and then the rim or the rim and then the backboard? Sorry I'm being too anal here, but I'm wondering if it makes a difference.
The rim is not covered in the rules. Treat the resulting play as if the ball had not hit the rim.

Quote:
3. If the player had ended her dribble and throws toward the wrong goal, when do you call the violation? If it hits the backboard do you kill it then and call an illegal dribble? What if it hits the rim? Or do you wait until she catches it?
It's not an immediate violation to end the dribble, then throw the ball off the floor, is it? It's only a violation to then touch the ball. Same with the backboard. (IOW, it doesn't become a dribble until the ball is retouched)

Quote:
4. Could A travel only be called if she attempted a shot and missed everything and them moved her feet in getting the ball? There could be no travel if she did not move both feet, correct? A pass to oneself, if it doesn't hit the ground, is considered a travel or illegal dribble?
It's not necessary to move "both feet". We only care about the pivot foot.

Old Wed Dec 08, 2004, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Questions for Clarification

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:

If the player has not dribbled, throwing the ball off the opponent's backboard and touching the ball constitutes a legal dribble. If the "touching" is also "catching" then the player cannot dribble again.

Quote:
The rim is not covered in the rules. Treat the resulting play as if the ball had not hit the rim.

Quote:
It's not an immediate violation to end the dribble, then throw the ball off the floor, is it? It's only a violation to then touch the ball. Same with the backboard. (IOW, it doesn't become a dribble until the ball is retouched)

Quote:
It's not necessary to move "both feet". We only care about the pivot foot.

Right, I was assuming a situation in which a pivot foot had not been established. But I can't think of a situation that that would apply at this time. So, never mind. But would a pass to oneself be considered a travel or an illegal dribble? Is this similar to throwing the ball over a defenders head and catching it before it hits the ground? That is an illegal dribble, correct?
Old Wed Dec 08, 2004, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Questions for Clarification

Quote:
But would a pass to oneself be considered a travel or an illegal dribble? Is this similar to throwing the ball over a defenders head and catching it before it hits the ground? That is an illegal dribble, correct?
No one other than overly-anal referees cares. Blow the whistle and give the other team the ball.

Old Wed Dec 08, 2004, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:

That ruling based on 9-5 makes no sense. 9-5 talks about dribbling a SECOND time, the 2001-2 case book has it under 9-4 which makes A LOT more sense.

In that case play and catching this missed "shot" airball, you have not yet dribbled, it will BECOME a dribble when it hits the floor or backboard, so how can you dribble a second time when you have yet to dribble a first?

So they either need to add self pass, yet to strike the floor under 9-5, or put it where it more closely fits, under 9-4 and lifting your pivot foot prior to dribbling.
Old Wed Dec 08, 2004, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

That ruling based on 9-5 makes no sense. 9-5 talks about dribbling a SECOND time, the 2001-2 case book has it under 9-4 which makes A LOT more sense.

In that case play and catching this missed "shot" airball, you have not yet dribbled, it will BECOME a dribble when it hits the floor or backboard, so how can you dribble a second time when you have yet to dribble a first?

So they either need to add self pass, yet to strike the floor under 9-5, or put it where it more closely fits, under 9-4 and lifting your pivot foot prior to dribbling.
It's not a violation of 9-5 because it's not a "second dribble"

It's not a violation of 9-4 because the player wasn't holding the ball (a requirement to travel under 4-43)

Ergo, a "self pass" is a legal play (assuming the player hasn't dribbled, and "passes" the ball before lifting the pivot foot).

Old Wed Dec 08, 2004, 03:17pm
In Memoriam

Re: Re: Re: Re: Questions for Clarification

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
But would a pass to oneself be considered a travel or an illegal dribble? Is this similar to throwing the ball over a defenders head and catching it before it hits the ground? That is an illegal dribble, correct?
No one other than overly-anal referees cares. Blow the whistle and give the other team the ball.

Exactly, same as when a dribbler carries the ball. Do you have travelling? An illegal second dribble? Something else? Who cares? Give the "palming" signal and get the game going. The coaches and players understand that signal. If you call "travelling" because the dribbler moved his pivot foot while carrying the ball, then it's almost guaranteed that someone is gonna be asking for an explanation.

KISS!
Old Thu Dec 09, 2004, 05:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Neither I nor that case book play ever said that this was a double dribble, which is really what 9-5 is when you read it.
It is simply that the movement of the ball does not constitute a legal dribble as in 4-15. The ball must hit the floor for it to be a dribble. Touching the ball twice before it hits the floor, as in this case, is an illegal dribble.

Another example of an illegal dribble is when a player is trying to split a double team. The dribble approaches the double team while dribbling with his right hand. The ball rebounds from the floor to his right hand. The player then shifts/passes the ball from his right hand to his left. The ball never touches both hands at the same time. The ball also does not touch the floor in between touching the players hands. The player now pushes the ball to the floor with his left hand as he splits the double team. This is an illegal dribble. There should have been a crossover dribble in there, but the player left it out in order to gain time. An old coach of mine taught me this move. He also knew that it was illegal, but stated that it was hardly ever called so it was well worth using against a trapping press.
Old Thu Dec 09, 2004, 05:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SamIAm
Quote:
Quote:

I am going to call you out on that one Nev. I am sure you can think of a couple of ways to travel without holding the ball. I will give you another chance before I post a couple.
Sam,
There is only ONE exception to what I said and that is a goofball play in the Case Book 4.43.5 Sit B. "It is also traveling if A1 puts the ball on the floor, then rises and is first to touch the ball."
I happen to disagree with that interpretation by the Fed and have written about it on this forum. It should not be a travel.
So, I will stand by my statement. If the player is not holding the ball, he/she cannot travel.
But please, enlighten me with your examples. Perhaps you will discover that some of your examples are not travels. Surprise me.
Old Thu Dec 09, 2004, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

You mentioned one, another one I thought of is: Player A with the ball tosses it up in the air, judged to not be a shot, just above his/her head, takes a step (moves both feet) and catches the ball without the ball touching the floor.

On the side, you can't travel without having had position of the ball first, which is what I think you meant.

Those two scenarios are kind of similiar. In both you are in a position where moving your feet/butt requires a dribble, pass, or shot. And neither of the three occurr.

You can call Case Book 4.43.5 Sit B. a goof ball play, but I have seen it several times, especially in the junior high/middle school aged kids.

[Edited by SamIAm on Dec 9th, 2004 at 10:40 AM]