The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 24, 2004, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

Most coaches just want to be heard. Some have a point and some are looking to work you, but it is a major part of dealing with coaches.

If they have a question about a call, who is better equipped to answer it, a partner or the calling official? I for one have no problem being near the bench. It can defuse things before they have a chance to get worse.
Old Fri Sep 24, 2004, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

I really don't see going tableside as causing any "new" problems. If you're working a 2-official crew, you're going to have to switch and end up in front of the coach quite a bit. In 3-man, most coaches can remember the plays they think you screwed up, and they'll talk to you about it after a rotation or a switch that leaves you right in front of their bench.

Not usually working with coaches, I can only say what I saw this summer in camp. I thought it helped with explaining things to the coaches and calming them down, and I don't think I had any more T's than I would have had I gone opposite after a foul.

To each his (her) own, though.
Old Sat Sep 25, 2004, 06:29pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to johnSandlin Send a message via Yahoo to johnSandlin
Thumbs up

I like the new mechanic of staying table side in high school basketball, for two reasons. First one being, I am so use to it from using this mechanic during my college season.
However, the second and more main reason is I am right there if the coach has a question and I do not have to try to have a conversation with the coach clear across the other side of the floor, or tell the coach I talk to you the next time I get to your side of the floor.
I think it is easier with this mechanic for everyone whether coach or official, because it is cutting down on long distance coversations between coaches and officials.
Old Mon Sep 27, 2004, 08:43am
Official Forum Member

Fouled out player

i agree it's easier to explain your own call when you go table, how does this work with a bang-bang call thatis a 5th foul on their star player, and you have to stay table side...going opposite got us away from that coach, now we have to stay there, does your partner come and let the coach know it's the 5th or what is the best way to handle that one???????????
Old Mon Sep 27, 2004, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

Re: Fouled out player

Quote:
Originally posted by jritchie
i agree it's easier to explain your own call when you go table, how does this work with a bang-bang call thatis a 5th foul on their star player, and you have to stay table side...going opposite got us away from that coach, now we have to stay there, does your partner come and let the coach know it's the 5th or what is the best way to handle that one???????????
There is a specific procedure in the official's manual for handling the 5th foul which gets you away from the coach.

Z
Old Mon Sep 27, 2004, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

i hoped there was a procedure

but the first time i used this was this summer and nothing was said about it...i just haven't seen a manual on it yet, that is why i was asking
Old Mon Sep 27, 2004, 11:10am
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb You have options.

They have allowed for the non-calling official to go to the other side if they feel like it. So there are some options. But I am going to do nothing different just because there is a 5th foul. I will tell the coach myself and move on. Why run away just for this time?

Peace
Old Mon Sep 27, 2004, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

i guess

that would make it easier to tell the coach first..start the 30 second timer, then walk away and go tell the player..that is one way to get away, if he don't follow you wanting an explanation!!
Old Mon Sep 27, 2004, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Re: You have options.

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
They have allowed for the non-calling official to go to the other side if they feel like it. So there are some options. But I am going to do nothing different just because there is a 5th foul. I will tell the coach myself and move on. Why run away just for this time?

Peace
It's not running away. If the coach is heated and you know that he will vent on the official that called it, the FED gives you the option of having your partner do the notification. Just another tool if you think it would help.

Z
Old Mon Sep 27, 2004, 11:27am
Do not give a damn!!

Wink Z, it is called an opinion.

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman

It's not running away. If the coach is heated and you know that he will vent on the official that called it, the FED gives you the option of having your partner do the notification. Just another tool if you think it would help.

Z
Relax, it is an opinion. I do not expect everyone to agree. I feel it is running away (always have btw) when you call the foul you want another official to answer for your actions. Of course it can be a tool, but not a very good one. The reason this change was made in the first place is because officials would always run in the other direction when there was a conflict. The mechanic helped with this. I do not give a damn if a coach does not like my call. I just know I am the better person to tell the coach what happen when I make such a critical call. Not a partner that did not see the play or might not be sure of what actually happen.

Peace
Old Mon Sep 27, 2004, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to johnSandlin Send a message via Yahoo to johnSandlin
Lightbulb

The manual does allow the calling official who called a bang bang 5th foul on a player the option to stay table side or go opposite the table depending on the situation that develops after the call is made.
Old Mon Sep 27, 2004, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Z, it is called an opinion.

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:

Z
Relax, it is an opinion. I do not expect everyone to agree. I feel it is running away (always have btw) when you call the foul you want another official to answer for your actions. Of course it can be a tool, but not a very good one. The reason this change was made in the first place is because officials would always run in the other direction when there was a conflict. The mechanic helped with this. I do not give a damn if a coach does not like my call. I just know I am the better person to tell the coach what happen when I make such a critical call. Not a partner that did not see the play or might not be sure of what actually happen.

Peace
I'm relaxed just fine. You have your opinion and guess what, I get one too. Last year my young partner was getting grief from a coach for a call. Shortly thereafter, he called a 5th foul on one of the coaches players. I just walked over and told my partner, "I got it" and sent him away from the coach. I notified the coach and then told the player and had the timer start the 30-second timer. It's a good tool to use when you need it and I'm quite certain the coach would have used the 30-seconds to create a conflict had my partner done the procedure.

Z

Old Mon Sep 27, 2004, 01:30pm
Do not give a damn!!

Thumbs down Not all officials use the same tools for success.

Quote:

I'm relaxed just fine. You have your opinion and guess what, I get one too. Last year my young partner was getting grief from a coach for a call. Shortly thereafter, he called a 5th foul on one of the coaches players.
Z,

I was not the person taking an issue with your point of view or anyone's point of view. I just stated that it is silly in my mind to run away from a coach when you have been going to that coach all game long. There are always exceptions to the rule and the mechanics allow that. But if I call a foul or when I talk to partners, I will suggest they go table side like they have all game long. I am sure some will disagree, but that is what I am going to do when I find myself in that situation.

Quote:
I just walked over and told my partner, "I got it" and sent him away from the coach. I notified the coach and then told the player and had the timer start the 30-second timer. It's a good tool to use when you need it and I'm quite certain the coach would have used the 30-seconds to create a conflict had my partner done the procedure.
Good for you. If that was me, I would have told you how I feel in the pregame and I am telling the coach. He does not want to speak to you. He wants to speak to me (in the situation you describe). The 5th foul is really not much different than any other foul. If you are confident in your calls, you can face a coach head on. If he is upset, so what. This table side was approved to improve communication. Going away does not improve that communication.

Peace