View Single Post
Old Fri Sep 24, 2004, 10:27am
Do not give a damn!!

What do fans have to do with how we deal with the coaches?

You would be surprised what the fans can and cannot hear during football games. Sometimes it is easier to hear conversations in that open field than in a loud, confined place.

Trust me, everyone will get used to it and will act accordingly. I can see some officialÂ’s night liking it at first, but I know I will love the fact that when my partner calls something I will not be the one explaining his call. That will not happen nearly as much from now on because of this mechanic.

I am telling you, I had many of the same concerns at first. When I worked in summer leagues and camps and the lower level coaches acting in the head position for the varsity teams said little or nothing, I was converted. Of course that is just a sample and may not be representative of every situation, but it was clear they did not feel compelled to scream all the time. I think also it will depend on the ability of the officials to communicate and deal with conflict directly.

"Now we are going to say who can really officiate" are the words said by a D1 Officials that I know when I informed him of this change. I think all this talk about what rule you know and what to call is going to mean little if you cannot explain it to a coach that is about what you called.

Peace