View Single Post
Old Thu Sep 23, 2004, 12:57pm
Do not give a damn!!

I think you have to separate the college game from the HS game. College coaches tend to be more professional and know more of the officials as professionals. They are not ranting and raving about 3 seconds and other suspect violations and fouls. College coaches complain about the big stuff. It was easy when I worked college game because they might say something, but they were not screaming.

In the HS game, the coaches rant and rave much more. Especially the lower level coaches. I have heard several varsity coaches roll their eyes to the behavior of their JV and Freshman coaches. I worked the table side mechanic this summer and I loved it. Many of the lower level coaches were acting as the head coaches and they did not say much of anything. You would call a foul and they would leave you alone after a brief conversation.

I will also have to say that I have been around the block and those officials that have been around the block as well might not have much of a problem with this mechanic. Of course it is new and many will find a problem at first. But once coaches realize that the calling official will come to their side of the court, I think they will stop yelling at the other officials to get an explanation. It worked much better than anticipated.

Peace