Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jul 28, 2004, 09:13pm
In Memoriam

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref

My answer stands, even if the player at the foul line used to be Michael Jordan.
"...Used to be Michael Jordan." - not too bad, Dan!

Your answer fails to meet the suggested parameters of having to make it stop before the half.
Your answer more closely follows common reality than it does the given sitch.

mick
Old Wed Jul 28, 2004, 09:26pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
[/B]
It's my opinion that my partner hung himself out to dry by not knowing a basic rule that even the mom waiting outside in the car knows.

[/B][/QUOTE]Yes, your partner certainly did do it to himself. And now,if I'm his partner, I'm gonna try and help him, train him, talk to him, holler at him at halftime if I have to, encourage him, berate him- maybe, even when I'm wearing a different hat, have to be the one to tell him that officiating ain't the right gig for him- but I'm gonna keep it between us officials while I'm trying to make sure that it doesn't happen again. I'm not ever gonna make him look like an incompetent idiot in front of that coach, and all the fans in the gym also. And how about a case where your partner may have had another reason for making that call? Maybe it's a very slight possibility that there's a reasonable explanation, but it's one that you'll never know about now because you didn't even bother to ask him before telling everyone in the world that he screwed up.

If the call is that bad, I might go talk to him about maybe changing it. However, personally I am also never going to tell a coach anything before I do talk to my partner.
Old Wed Jul 28, 2004, 09:38pm
Official Forum Member

Mick and JR - based on your responses - "you're a good man, Charley Brown"
Old Wed Jul 28, 2004, 09:45pm
In Memoriam

Arrow Hmmm.

Quote:
Originally posted by TravelinMan

Was I just harrassed or hugged?
mick

Old Wed Jul 28, 2004, 09:55pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Hmmm.

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:

Was I just harrassed or hugged? mick

Mick, definitely the latter. There is no "I" in T-E-A-M.

Old Wed Jul 28, 2004, 10:10pm
In Memoriam

Arrow

I would team with anyone on this forum.
If I was not in the team, then I would only be a fan.
mick
Old Wed Jul 28, 2004, 10:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:

At a dead ball:

• "Partner? If you stop making that call for the rest of the half, until we can review the book, I'll buy the first and second beverage."

mick
  • Mick, I DEFINITELY like your answer. If my partner(s) did that for me, what with all the mistakes I've made over the years, I'd be feelin no pain! LOL [/B][/QUOTE]

I was thinking, if I'd been that partner some games, Mick would be flat broke!
    Old Wed Jul 28, 2004, 10:13pm
    In Memoriam

Quote:
    Originally posted by rainmaker
    Quote:

At a dead ball:

• "Partner? If you stop making that call for the rest of the half, until we can review the book, I'll buy the first and second beverage."

mick
  • Mick, I DEFINITELY like your answer. If my partner(s) did that for me, what with all the mistakes I've made over the years, I'd be feelin no pain! LOL
    I was thinking, if I'd been that partner some games, Mick would be flat broke! [/B][/QUOTE]

Don't think so, Jewel.
    I would be very, very surprised if you passed that "Adamant" test.
    Maybe evement, but not adamant.
    mick
    Old Wed Jul 28, 2004, 10:24pm
    Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
    Quote:
    Originally posted by mick
    Quote:
    Originally posted by rainmaker
    Quote:

At a dead ball:

mick
  • Mick, I DEFINITELY like your answer. If my partner(s) did that for me, what with all the mistakes I've made over the years, I'd be feelin no pain! LOL
    I was thinking, if I'd been that partner some games, Mick would be flat broke!
    Don't think so, Jewel.
    I would be very, very surprised if you passed that "Adamant" test.
    Maybe evement, but not adamant.
    mick [/B][/QUOTE]

Maybe I wouldn't pass, but if I knew what was coming I'd at least try!
    Old Wed Jul 28, 2004, 11:02pm
    Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
    Originally posted by ref18
    Never ever sell out your partner, and always support his/her calls. We're not out to over-rule eachother. If someone makes a mistake on a call, leave it be, unless it happens to deal with the arrow, or who touched the ball last when it goes out of bounds. Judgement calls like fouls and violations cannot be debated or overruled by the non-calling official. From the perspective of a younger official, by over-ruling my call, you're sending a message, the message that i'm incompetent. I never change a call, the first signal I use is the one i stick with. If I blow it, I blow it, but no one is ever going to get me to change my mind. The proper situation to bring this up would be in the post game, and just go over it. Don't make an fool of your partner by overruling his call infront of a gym full of people.
    From the perspective of someone in the middle as far as experience goes, I'd say if you don't correct my call (or at least address it later), you're saying I'm not worth the effort. If I kick a call, I want to know about it. Although I agree that a conversation with the coach is sticky at best, and I'd probably defer to my partner. "Coach, apparently he saw something I didn't."

That said, ref18, I find your statement that "I never change a call, the first signal I use is the one I stick with" interesting.
    It's like a late whistle, in my opinion. The key is to get the call right, not to look smooth. If I go up with a foul signal and realize immediately that A1 traveled first, I'm going with the violation. If I go up with a PC signal and decide in midstream that B1 was not in LGP, I'm changing the call. If anyone questions you, you simply say, "The call was right."

Don't be afraid to make the right call, even if it makes you look a bit awkward for a second. Remember, we're there for the players, not to look good.

Adam
    Old Mon Aug 02, 2004, 11:11am
    Administrator

Quote:
    Originally posted by Camron Rust
    I lean towards acknowledging the coach.

When the coach makes what is an absolutely true statement (in a polite manner) and is looking for a response and you don't acknowledge it, it only hurts us. Coaches want communication. They only get more agitated if they're ignored.

If your partner got it wrong and everyone (except perhaps him) knows it, there's no reason to cover it up when asked. Your partner put you in that position by not knowing the rules. It's not like judgement where we should back up our partner.

I'd answer the coach, "Yes, you're right. I can't change his call, well discuss it at half-time".

However, if it is not brought up by the coach, I wouldn't bring it up.

It most definitely needs to be discussed at halftime/postgame in hopes that the partner will not propagate his ignorance.

Camron:

I agree with your response but only to a point. Yes, acknowledge the coach, but do not tell him your partner blew the call even if you are 200% sure his call was not correct. Rather, tell the coach that you will talk with your partner the first chance you get and have your partner get back to him.

MTD, Sr.
    Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
    International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
    Ohio High School Athletic Association
    Toledo, Ohio