View Single Post
Old Wed Jul 28, 2004, 08:42pm
Official Forum Member

Re: I'm for fixing it.

Quote:
Originally posted by blindzebra
When it is something that is so obviously mis-applied, I'd lean toward getting together.

Even if that means going to the arrow for an inadvertent whistle, if team A was not in possesion when the whistle blew. The crew keeps credibility by copping to the error.
Agreed...fixing it the first option.

However, if the whistle is blown while the ball is in the air for one of the shots, there is no fix that is fully equitable if the shot misses. The only solution is to go to the arrow. Someone gets the ball. If it was the team that was going to get the rebound, they lose the arrow out of the deal. If it was the team not likely to get the rebound, the would get a possession they didn't deserve at the cost of the arrow.

Going to your partner to fix it, however, is just the same as telling the coach he got it wrong. It says the same thing by action instead of words.

I had a partner, this summer, that granted the defense a timeout while the ball was live. He knew better but just reflexively blew the whistle without verifying who was requesting it and if they were permitted to do so.

The coach of the team with the ball was puzzled both by the call and why they still got the timeout anyway. He wanted an explanation. Not giving him an answer when he had a legitimate beef would have probably ended up in a T. The only thing that could be said was that it was indeed a mistake but now that it's been made, they get the timeout anyway since it is now a dead ball. I was there in front of him and everyone knew it was wrong. He was asking me. I might was well be the one to answer him rather than calling my partner over and looking like I'm ducking the question.