View Single Post
Old Wed Jul 28, 2004, 08:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by devdog69

If your partner blows something this obvious and you don't acknowledge the coach and admit that the mistake was made but that you will try to rectify it at the half, then you have 'hung your crew, including yourself, out to dry'. There is a difference between selling your partner out and admitting such an obvious mistake. Personally, I might go to my partner on the spot and tell him to change the ruling, if I knew him at all especially if he was a younger guy trying to learn. I would do it in the best possible manner, letting him know it was perfectly alright, just a simple mistake.
It is not up to yo uto point out your partner's mistakes to the coaches. You are a team, and by you selling out your partner, you're eliminating the amount of trust that was between you. If I see my partner blow a call, I won't tell the coach that, but if the coach questions it to me I will say, "Coach I hear you, but I didn't make the call, as it was out of my primary, you could call a time out if you'd like a word with my partner or wait until half time to discuss it." Usually the coach doesn't want to waste a timeout and forget's about it by the time half rolls around.

Never ever sell out your partner, and always support his/her calls. We're not out to over-rule eachother. If someone makes a mistake on a call, leave it be, unless it happens to deal with the arrow, or who touched the ball last when it goes out of bounds. Judgement calls like fouls and violations cannot be debated or overruled by the non-calling official. From the perspective of a younger official, by over-ruling my call, you're sending a message, the message that i'm incompetent. I never change a call, the first signal I use is the one i stick with. If I blow it, I blow it, but no one is ever going to get me to change my mind. The proper situation to bring this up would be in the post game, and just go over it. Don't make an fool of your partner by overruling his call infront of a gym full of people.