The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 01, 2001, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Bob--

You answered my question about this in a previous thread, and I went back and looked through the books, to confirm your idea here. If this is the consensus of everyone, I'm willing to go with it, but it looks to me like an interpretation, not a hard and fast rule. The book says the throw-in starts when, "the ball is available to the player" who is going to in-bound. Well, if the ball is in the very hands of the team that didn't score, isn't that "available?" That is the only wording I could find anywhere in the books that applied in the way you are describing. Okay, so if Knox is interpreting this as "available" meaning that the player is holding the ball OOB, I'll live with that, but it seems pretty thin to me. Does this also apply if the ball is just sort of rolling along the floor and all five players run down court and no one grabs the ball? How much more available can the ball be than that?

Yikes, this sounds a little testy. I don't mean to raise my voice, I just feel confused.
No -- it doesn't sound testy at all.

Yes -- it is an interpretation -- as I said before, you can "kind of" support (a) immediate violation; (b) 5-second violation; (c) "do-over".

I look at it like this: If I haven't started my 5-second count, if I'd let A have a TO, then the throw-in hasn't started.

In the original play, B1 grabbed the ball in the lane and tossed it to B2 who was supposed to take it out of bounds for the throw in. During that time, I'd not be starting my count, and would grant A a TO. So, when B2 starts up court, or immediately throws the ball to B3, the throw-in hasn't yet started.

In your play, where the ball is just rolling along the floor and all 5 players start for the other end, I give B a moment to recognize the issue. If they respond right away, then no problem -- I wait until they get the ball to start the count. If they don't, I start the count.
Old Mon Jan 01, 2001, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Alaska Ref
Bktballref,

6-7-1

Don
Don,

6-1-2b
The ball becomes live when:
b. On a throw-in, it is at the disposal of the thrower.

When "B1 catches the ball as it bounces in the lane," the ball is live. He doesn't have to step OOB for the ball to become live. When it's at his disposal, hence, when it's available for him to pickup or retrieve, it's no longer dead.

BTW Don, I don't disagree with you about blowing the whistle. In Jr. High, middle school or lower levels of play I would blow and have them inbound the ball properly. But at the high school level, I would issue the warning. They know better. Besides that, I've never seen it happen at JV or varsity levels.

Tony

[Edited by BktBallRef on Jan 1st, 2001 at 10:32 AM]
Old Mon Jan 01, 2001, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

The problem with starting your 5 second, in the original play, is that a number of things could happen before you reach 5. The player with the ball could throw along pass to a wide open teammate for a 3. The ball could be stolen by A. In either situation, we have a bigger problem than we did orignally and a big explanation to follow. That's why Mr. Knox said to kill the play with a delay of game warning. Nothing good can come from allowing the ball to continue up the floor. I really think the worst thing you can do here is start the 5 second count.

Either blow the delay of game or make them come back and do it right.

On the play that Juulie posted about 5 players running up court, I agree with Bob. I start the 5 second count since the ball is available and no one is making an effort to go after it. If you don't blow 5 seconds here, a winning team could allow time to expire.
Old Mon Jan 01, 2001, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
In your play, where the ball is just rolling along the floor and all 5 players start for the other end, I give B a moment to recognize the issue. If they respond right away, then no problem -- I wait until they get the ball to start the count. If they don't, I start the count.
Thanks for this. I thought I was right, and it feels good to be confirmed. This did actually happen to me after the last thread on this subject a few weeks ago. But before this post. (Does that make it a False Double Post?) My partner corrected me (during play, by the way, which I didn't like) and I backed down because of the previous post, but went home and looked it up. It's nice to know that I was not wrong. That doesn't happen very often!
Old Mon Jan 01, 2001, 04:28pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Alaska Ref
Lightbulb Throw-in

Rule 4 Section 41 Art 2 "A Throw-in is a method of putting the ball in play from out of bounds"

I am assuming the origional post was referring to a lower level game, in a varsity contest if the players are draging there feet i will start a visible and audable count and that will take care of that situation right now.

I stand by my first reply that the ball is in-bounded because it became dead after the basket was made. In the "OLD" days they had a jump ball after each made basket.

I belive this is where COMMON SENCE officating come's into play if you have younger players teach them, if you have older players then it's a 5-second violation not a delay of game.

Example: If after a time out the players are not out of the huddle you place the ball on the floor and start your 5-second count, if the defence is still in the huddle then it's an uncontested basket. (and believe me the last one of that game)

It's a delay of game warning and or a tec if the team that just scored touch's the ball and interupt's or delays the start of the throw-in.

Have Fun

Old Mon Jan 01, 2001, 09:37pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Throw-in

Quote:
Originally posted by Alaska Ref
Rule 4 Section 41 Art 2 "A Throw-in is a method of putting the ball in play from out of bounds"

So if the ball never went out of bounds, it can't be a throw-in. QED.

I understand your confusion on the "warning". I raised the same issue when I read Mr. Knox's reply -- it's not one of the three official warnings allowed in 4-46.

I'm guessing that what was meant was an "unofficial" warning for 10-1-5b --i.e., a warning that isn't in the book but is good game management as opposed to calling the T right away on an inadvertant mistake.
Old Mon Jan 01, 2001, 11:51pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Throw-in

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
I'm guessing that what was meant was an "unofficial" warning for 10-1-5b --i.e., a warning that isn't in the book but is good game management as opposed to calling the T right away on an inadvertant mistake.
Exactly. Mr. Knox will tell you that it's impossible to write a rule for every possible situation that could occur during a basketball game. He's made this statement to me on a couple of occasions.