View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 01, 2001, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Bob--

You answered my question about this in a previous thread, and I went back and looked through the books, to confirm your idea here. If this is the consensus of everyone, I'm willing to go with it, but it looks to me like an interpretation, not a hard and fast rule. The book says the throw-in starts when, "the ball is available to the player" who is going to in-bound. Well, if the ball is in the very hands of the team that didn't score, isn't that "available?" That is the only wording I could find anywhere in the books that applied in the way you are describing. Okay, so if Knox is interpreting this as "available" meaning that the player is holding the ball OOB, I'll live with that, but it seems pretty thin to me. Does this also apply if the ball is just sort of rolling along the floor and all five players run down court and no one grabs the ball? How much more available can the ball be than that?

Yikes, this sounds a little testy. I don't mean to raise my voice, I just feel confused.
No -- it doesn't sound testy at all.

Yes -- it is an interpretation -- as I said before, you can "kind of" support (a) immediate violation; (b) 5-second violation; (c) "do-over".

I look at it like this: If I haven't started my 5-second count, if I'd let A have a TO, then the throw-in hasn't started.

In the original play, B1 grabbed the ball in the lane and tossed it to B2 who was supposed to take it out of bounds for the throw in. During that time, I'd not be starting my count, and would grant A a TO. So, when B2 starts up court, or immediately throws the ball to B3, the throw-in hasn't yet started.

In your play, where the ball is just rolling along the floor and all 5 players start for the other end, I give B a moment to recognize the issue. If they respond right away, then no problem -- I wait until they get the ball to start the count. If they don't, I start the count.