The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 30, 2000, 10:44pm
Official Forum Member

After Team A scores, B1 catches the ball as it bounces in the lane. He passes it to B2 who is standing near the endline, anticipating that B2 will step out of bounds and then inbounds the ball. Instead B2 begins dribbling downcourt, apparently thinking B1 was beyond the endline when he passed the ball. Is this a violation, or do you blow your whistle and direct Team B to take it out of bounds on the endline?
Old Sat Dec 30, 2000, 10:56pm
Official Forum Member

What level are we talking about? If is was frosh or below, call it back, if not call the violation.
Old Sat Dec 30, 2000, 11:05pm
Official Forum Member

We've beat this one to death on several different boards. I emailed Richard Knox, the Chairman of the NF Basketball Rues Committee. He replied that a delay of game warning should be called or a technical called if a warning has already been issued.

It's not a violation and you can't start your five second count. A delay of game is about all that's left.
Old Sat Dec 30, 2000, 11:40pm
Official Forum Member

That seems a bit harsh.
Old Sat Dec 30, 2000, 11:56pm
Official Forum Member

What violation are you going to call? They haven't committed a violation. Actaully, isn't a delay of game warning less harsh than taking the ball from them?
Old Sun Dec 31, 2000, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

How is the player not fully behind the end line any different than stepping over it? I wouldn't split hairs and would call a throw in violation.
Old Sun Dec 31, 2000, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Brian Watson
How is the player not fully behind the end line any different than stepping over it? I wouldn't split hairs and would call a throw in violation.
It's different because the throw-in hasn't started. If the throw-in hasn't started, there can't be a throw-in violation.
Old Sun Dec 31, 2000, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Brian Watson
To do that is to make up your own rules Brain. Bob is right. You can't have a throw-in violation until the throw-in starts. A player who hasn't stepped OOB has started the throw-in. A player who has stepped OOB, if only with one foot, has started the throw-in. That's how it's different.
Old Sun Dec 31, 2000, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

in my games, if i step over the line BEFORE throughing the ball inbounds, the ref just moves me back.
however, if i was over the line while passing i'm sure the ref would give me some kind of violation
Old Sun Dec 31, 2000, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Alaska Ref
Lightbulb

First off, why after a made basket do we "take the ball OOB" because the ball is dead! Blow your whistle and get the players to take the ball OOB. This is a great way to "teach" and give's them the chance to fix the mistake, if that dosen't work then issue a formal "Delay of Game" warning! I aggree that is the only proper action to take at this point.

I believe this "preventive officating" will go a long way toward's the players, coaches and fans respecting you as a good offical.

Good Luck in 2001
Happy New Year
Old Sun Dec 31, 2000, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

Because I'm new, I work mostly with freshman and below players. In that situation, I always point to the OOB area and say something like "Remember now, take it out first". It sort of helps these little gals along without getting into a sticky situation as the above. However, for the few high school JV games I officiate, I would be interested in the correct call here.
Old Sun Dec 31, 2000, 04:36pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by doghead
Because I'm new, I work mostly with freshman and below players. In that situation, I always point to the OOB area and say something like "Remember now, take it out first". It sort of helps these little gals along without getting into a sticky situation as the above. However, for the few high school JV games I officiate, I would be interested in the correct call here.
doghead,
I always used to call 5 sec., even if they were already down the court. I am now going with the result of Tony's correspondence with Richard Knox (below, as posted above)
mick

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
We've beat this one to death on several different boards. I emailed Richard Knox, the Chairman of the NF Basketball Rues Committee. He replied that a delay of game warning should be called or a technical called if a warning has already been issued.

It's not a violation and you can't start your five second count. A delay of game is about all that's left.
Old Sun Dec 31, 2000, 04:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Alaska Ref
First off, why after a made basket do we "take the ball OOB" because the ball is dead! Blow your whistle and get the players to take the ball OOB. This is a great way to "teach" and give's them the chance to fix the mistake, if that dosen't work then issue a formal "Delay of Game" warning! I aggree that is the only proper action to take at this point.
No, it's not dead. Once the ball is at the disposal of the team entitled to it, it's a live ball.
Old Sun Dec 31, 2000, 08:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
[QUOTE]Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
It's different because the throw-in hasn't started. If the throw-in hasn't started, there can't be a throw-in violation.
Bob--

You answered my question about this in a previous thread, and I went back and looked through the books, to confirm your idea here. If this is the consensus of everyone, I'm willing to go with it, but it looks to me like an interpretation, not a hard and fast rule. The book says the throw-in starts when, "the ball is available to the player" who is going to in-bound. Well, if the ball is in the very hands of the team that didn't score, isn't that "available?" That is the only wording I could find anywhere in the books that applied in the way you are describing. Okay, so if Knox is interpreting this as "available" meaning that the player is holding the ball OOB, I'll live with that, but it seems pretty thin to me. Does this also apply if the ball is just sort of rolling along the floor and all five players run down court and no one grabs the ball? How much more available can the ball be than that?

Yikes, this sounds a little testy. I don't mean to raise my voice, I just feel confused.
Old Mon Jan 01, 2001, 01:08am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Alaska Ref
Lightbulb

Bktballref,

6-7-1