Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 01, 2004, 06:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by iamaref
Dexter

You said..

"As to why it matters more with 0.2 left on the clock in a tied regional semi-final game . . . figure that one out yourself."

Are you sayin that it is treated "differently" based on the situation ?? Seems that you may be.
I try not to, but if we stop the game for every 0.2 seconds that improperly runs off the clock, we're going to have 7 hour games.

Also, if 0.2 slips off of the clock with 15 minutes in the game, a team is going to have 15 minutes and 20-30 shot attmpts to recover. If there should be 0.2 on the clock, and we give them 0.0, they have no recourse - no chance to come back, take a shot, etc.
Old Thu Apr 01, 2004, 06:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Originally posted by iamaref
And why on earth are they not using precision time ?? I don't watch women's college too much.. just curious.
PT is not used in the men or women's torunament.
Not all of the arenas have Precision Timing.

As to why the NCAA doesn't require it . . . . I dunno.
Old Thu Apr 01, 2004, 07:01pm
Official Forum Member

Judge GUILTY of being a major FANBOY

I love that I found the exact same post as Judge's original one on this thread at a Baylor fans website.

http://www.baylorfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54111
Old Fri Apr 02, 2004, 06:27am
Official Forum Member

Re: Judge GUILTY of being a major FANBOY

Quote:
Originally posted by smoref
I love that I found the exact same post as Judge's original one on this thread at a Baylor fans website.

http://www.baylorfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54111
Don't quite think so. The write-up you posted is, for the most part, articulate, spelled correctly, and fairly factual. No way did JudgeJudy post that.
Old Fri Apr 02, 2004, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

I don't know how many times on this forum I have seen officials say that the whistle stops the clock, not the foul or the violation. Now it seems in this case that the foul stops the clock and not the whistle. Which is it?!?
Old Fri Apr 02, 2004, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

That's what I want to know...The whistle should have stopped the clock. Not the act?? When they went to the monitor, they put back time based on when the act occurred...not when it was determined the whistle blew. So what if the foul was called?...as was said much earlier this week, that was the calling official's decision to make. When the crew chief spoke to the coaches about his decision, I thought he said "the foul occurred at .2". Lesson learned on my monitor games...
Old Fri Apr 02, 2004, 09:33pm
Official Forum Member

posted by gsf23

I don't know how many times on this forum I have seen officials say that the whistle stops the clock, not the foul or the violation. Now it seems in this case that the foul stops the clock and not the whistle. Which is it?!?

I thought that it is different for NCAA and NFHS. Isn't the difference that in NCAA they have the replay, so they can accurately make a decision of when the foul occurred? Of course, I may be wrong.

Coach W
Old Fri Apr 02, 2004, 09:54pm
Official Forum Member

I'll post this once more for those who can't seem to understand it.

IT DOES NOT MATTER WHETHER THE WHISTLE CAME BEFORE THE HORN SOUNDED OR NOT. THE ONLY ISSUE IS DID THE FOUL OCCUR BEFORE TIME EXPIRED. IF IT DID, IT'S A FOUL, EVEN IF THE WHISTLE SOUNDED AFTER THE HORN.

NCAA rules permit the officials to go to the clock for ANY timing issue. This was a timing issue in that they has to determine if the foul occurred before the horn. They can also put the correct time back on the clock when they determine what it should be. This came directly from an NCAA official who worked in the Tournament this year.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri Apr 02, 2004, 10:04pm
Official Forum Member

It will be very interesting to see if there is a change in the rule book next year regarding end of game situation.

There defenitly does not seem to be a concensous of the proper way to do it.

ALso I wonder if the will require precision timing at all venues next year.
Old Fri Apr 02, 2004, 10:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by smoref
It will be very interesting to see if there is a change in the rule book next year regarding end of game situation.

There defenitly does not seem to be a concensous of the proper way to do it.

ALso I wonder if the will require precision timing at all venues next year.
Why would there be a rule change? What rule would be changed?

I don't think there was anything improper about the way the situation was handled. The only question is the foul, was it a foul, should it have been called? But from a procedure standpoint, there was no error.

All D1 schools will be required to have PT within the next 2 or 3 years.

Old Fri Apr 02, 2004, 10:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'll post this once more for those who can't seem to understand it.

IT DOES NOT MATTER WHETHER THE WHISTLE CAME BEFORE THE HORN SOUNDED OR NOT. THE ONLY ISSUE IS DID THE FOUL OCCUR BEFORE TIME EXPIRED. IF IT DID, IT'S A FOUL, EVEN IF THE WHISTLE SOUNDED AFTER THE HORN.

NCAA rules permit the officials to go to the clock for ANY timing issue. This was a timing issue in that they has to determine if the foul occurred before the horn. They can also put the correct time back on the clock when they determine what it should be. This came directly from an NCAA official who worked in the Tournament this year.
Thanks, Tony.

Hopefully this one will get through to the dexterheads who still don't understand.
Old Sat Apr 03, 2004, 09:09am
Official Forum Member

Question

I have seriously thought about taking officiating to the next level so I am here to learn, especially on the close ones.

I have seen monitors used when the clock kept running by mistake, and when the clock didn't start on time, and can understand monitor use then.

I am confused about this being a situation of a mistake with the clock. To be consistent, and if there are known equipment problems at Lloyd Noble, should the refs have been going to the monitor throughout the game then?

Thnking about what some are saying about calling it the same through the whole 40 minutes, why do this just at the end of a game?

Old Sat Apr 03, 2004, 09:45am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by Fanson
I have seriously thought about taking officiating to the next level so I am here to learn, especially on the close ones.

I have seen monitors used when the clock kept running by mistake, and when the clock didn't start on time, and can understand monitor use then.

I am confused about this being a situation of a mistake with the clock. To be consistent, and if there are known equipment problems at Lloyd Noble, should the refs have been going to the monitor throughout the game then?

Thnking about what some are saying about calling it the same through the whole 40 minutes, why do this just at the end of a game?
Fanson,
Welcome to the forum.
First, officials can only follow the rules.
Secondly, the game could slow down to a crawl.
The game would be as exciting as watching paint dry.
With known timing problems, a substitute timing device, or timer, may be used.
mick

Old Sat Apr 03, 2004, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

First, when we discuss calling the game the same throughout, we talking about calling the same foul at 10 seconds that you would at 15 minutes.

Second, the clock shows full seconds during the first 19 minutes of a half. If an error occurs where seconds tick off the clock during the game and the officials recognize it, then they do correct the situation. Looking at the monitor every time the clock is stopped to be sure it stopped properly is OBVIOUSLY not necessary or feasible.

At the end of a game, if for example, a foul is called, a shot is made, or a violation occurs, the officials are allowed to review the play to determine if there was an error in stopping the clock.

Personally, I don't understand why people keep bringing up the issue of putting .2 seconds back on the clock. It was the correct thing to do and it had nothing to do with Tennesse winning the game. If the foul had occurred with .9 seconds remaining, then it could really have been important, as it would have given Baylor an opportuniy to score.

THere were no "known equipment problems." The officials were simply making sure how much time should be on the clock. Let's suppose there should have been .9 left and the officials didn't go to the clock and correct the problem. Then Baylor would really have something to complain about.

So when all is said and done, why are you complaining about the officials going to the clock?

Old Sat Apr 03, 2004, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
First, when we discuss calling the game the same throughout, we talking about calling the same foul at 10 seconds that you would at 15 minutes.

And we all know what we call an official who insists on calling each game the same way in the first 30 seconds, at the 15 minute mark and in the last 30 seconds.

Ex-official.