View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 29, 2004, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by chayce
The question I always ask is: would I have called the same thing at any other point in the game? I am sure the calling official probably has asked that several times since the end of the game. I believe that consistency from beginning to end is the primary measure of a well called game.
I couldn't agree with you more! Too often you hear that if it is close, let the players decide the outcome. So what does that mean? Swallow your whistle? I disagree with that. It is a foul/violation with 12 minutes to go before halftime, it is a foul/violation with .03 seconds left in the game.

Think of it like this. Lets hypothetically see it as an offensive violation i.e. travel. Now lets say that the official decides that "ahh the game is close and time is about to run out so I'll pass on that, it won't hurt anyone." Just as he finishes thinking that, the shot falls through the net for 2 points and the win. Looks like he got himself in a bind with the 'let the players decide the game' mentality. Granted this is hypothetical but it still proves a point that fouls and violations need to be called regardless of the time and score of the game.