View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 29, 2004, 09:10pm
Official Forum Member

yes and I do officiate

I am an official at teh high school varsity level, work the playoffs, do roughly 80 to 90 games a high school season and several hundred others the rest of the year to work on my skills. I ahve also coaches and guess what? I am a fan of the game too. I didn't like what I saw last night. It left a bad taste in my mouth as it did many others.

Does anyone on this board ever pass on something because it had no effect on the game?

We do it all the time or else games would be foul shooting contests instead of basketball games.

Now what if no call had been made?

Would anyone have been upset?

I doubt it. The game would have gone into overtime and the best team last night would have won.

Did the contact cause Tennessee a chance to win the game with a shot. With :02 second and the ball in the air after the tip by the Baylor player?

I don't believe so. Again my opinion based on waht I saw.

I agree that you can disagree.

The best call sometimes is no call at all and I will stick by that philosphy. It has done me well so far. There is a saying "let the players decide the game in the waning seconds. I certainly agree with that.

It really seems to be that way in the mens game. Close game, clock ticking down, physical play and no whistles.

The call last night did not need to be made. It was and since we have video replay to check the officials had to do what they did, but I bet they didn't like it either.