The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 29, 2004, 08:56am
In Time Out

Bang bang plays are what we see every play all night long in our advocation. Did anyone see the game on TV and the last play where a foul was call with .03 seconds? In playing it over in my mind (replays, replays)it seems that there was no one player that was in a position have an advantage nor was placed at a disadvantage, especially since the ball was not in control by anyone. Pls comments.
Old Mon Mar 29, 2004, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

In watching the replay a few times after the game (I recorded it), The Tennesee player was pretty much jumping straight up to get the rebound & the Baylor player came from OOB and made heavy contact w/the Tennesee player, knocking her over.

I think it was a good call. It is just unfortunate that a great game like that had to end that way.
Old Mon Mar 29, 2004, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

I thought the foul itself doesn't stop the clock...the whistle does?? From the replay I watched, they stopped the clock on the impact of the foul. I didn't see an official in the camera's view where they could determine that the whistle was blown with the time that they put back up.
Old Mon Mar 29, 2004, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

This is a situation where having to review replay hurt the officials. Clearly a foul was called just before the expiration of time. However, without the benefit of replay, 99% of officials would have declared that the horn sounded and OT would be played. But, since a whistle was blown, officials have the obligation to see if it occurred before time expired. I'm guessing the calling official regrets blowing the whistle on that one. There was contact, but bailing out a team that missed a lay-up by calling a foul on a loose ball rebound scramble with under one second to go in a tie game is not an ideal way to decide the game. Even Pat Summitt seemed dissatisifed with the way the game ended.
Old Mon Mar 29, 2004, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to chayce
The question I always ask is: would I have called the same thing at any other point in the game? I am sure the calling official probably has asked that several times since the end of the game. I believe that consistency from beginning to end is the primary measure of a well called game.

That being said, from the television angle, it looked like both players were going for the ball and I would not have called a foul on this one. I have watched a lot of game film taken from different angles and I am always amazed at how different the play looks depending on the angle. The calling official obviously saw a foul from the angle he was calling from.
Old Mon Mar 29, 2004, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

But does the whistle stop the clock, or does the impact? What if the whistle was delayed on the play and came after the horn? Shoot FT's, or OT?
Old Mon Mar 29, 2004, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chayce

That being said, from the television angle, it looked like both players were going for the ball and I would not have called a foul on this one. I have watched a lot of game film taken from different angles and I am always amazed at how different the play looks depending on the angle. The calling official obviously saw a foul from the angle he was calling from.
I was thinking that the Tennessee player was displaced to the point that the call should have been made first half or second half.

I don't see the officials bailing anyone out here. Tennesse missed the layup, however, Bayler threw the ball away after running down the clock and not getting a shot. The players decided the game.

Thanks, Stan

Old Mon Mar 29, 2004, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to BOBBYMO Send a message via Yahoo to BOBBYMO
Does anyone know what official made this call? I couldn't tell by any of the replays if the lead made the call or if it came from the center or trail. If this call was made in the 1st 1/2 does anyone say a word about it?
Old Mon Mar 29, 2004, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to johnSandlin Send a message via Yahoo to johnSandlin
This type of call was made in the first half, because I watched this game from start to finish. I know what official made the call, but I am not going to put the name of the official on this forum out of respect to that official.

It is sad to that a great game had to come down to a foul call at the end, but it was a foul and there was no "grey" area about it. The Baylor girl clearly gained a big advantage by bumping the Tennessee player when she got back in the play from being out of bounds.

I thought the game was well officiated from beginning to end the whole way through.
Old Mon Mar 29, 2004, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

actaully

I thought is was poorly officiated and very inconsistant
Old Mon Mar 29, 2004, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy

Then, no disrespect intended with what I am about to say, but you did not watch to same game that I watched.
Old Mon Mar 29, 2004, 12:41pm
In Memoriam

Re: actaully

Quote:
Originally posted by caref
I thought is was poorly officiated and very inconsistant
Why? What did they miss? Where weren't they being consistent?

Just wondering how you formed your opinion.
Old Mon Mar 29, 2004, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

That was the main purpose of my response to the comment Jurassic Referee? State it was a poorly officiated game, but don't provide the evidence to back up one's own opinion.
Old Mon Mar 29, 2004, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

bodies flying all over the place on rebounding situations all game and no calls and then the final non-call, call. Very inconsistant and yes I did watch it all the way through.

Old Mon Mar 29, 2004, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

Well, I still don't think you saw the same game because there was not a lot of what you just described displayed in this game other then foul call at the end, which was a good call by the official.