Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 10, 2004, 11:53pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
Quote:
Originally posted by ref18
I've T'd up 19 coaches, and ejected 2 this year. I think that's a pretty good ratio for 200 games, and i'm damn proud of every one of them.
Based on my experience, seems a pretty high ratio. I don't see Ts in 10% of the games, and I have seen one ejection (and know of two others that occurred in games I missed ). what level was this at?!
He said that he has T'd up 19 coaches - that could be only 10 games - or 5% of his games.
Old Wed Mar 10, 2004, 11:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ref18
Quote:
Originally posted by blindzebra

Are you notching your whistle?LOL
That's a good idea, but i'd run out of space

I keep a record in my day planner of what games involved a T or flagerant foul, just incase i get a complaint about it, and have to write a report. Thankfully, i haven't had any complaints yet.

[Edited by ref18 on Mar 10th, 2004 at 08:28 PM] [/B]
What level are you working? I did not get one in high school or middle school games,but I've had 3 in club and rec leagues that makes 3 in about 150+ games since October.

Your ratio does seem high,are you taking notes of what and why,and not just when and who? I'd start giving a closer look at what is behind all your T's to see what,if anything,that you contributed.

Now if you include adult rec leagues,I've called 3 T's this week!LOL
Old Thu Mar 11, 2004, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

19 T's??????

Ref 18 -

Could you please give us a little background - Where do you ref? What level(s)? 19 T's should be a career total if you're working HS/College, maybe you work a City League where Rasheed Wallace sponsors a team. Why are all of these coaches losing control during your games? I'm interested to learn from your situations.
Old Thu Mar 11, 2004, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Re: 19 T's??????

Quote:
Originally posted by mnref14
19 T's should be a career total if you're working HS/College, Why are all of these coaches losing control during your games?
I don't think you can say "should". There are a lot of different variables that play into this and you can't possibly know what the overview is. He needs to talk to someone who works in his own league, in his own area, to see if this is reasonable or excessive. 200 is a lot of games. As someone else said, he could have had problems with only 10 games. Let's back off the judgment a little.
Old Thu Mar 11, 2004, 09:55am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
I keep track - in case there is a problem later, and (more importantly) so I can track my game management skills. I can happily say that I've gone from an average of 1 T/game in the past two seasons to 1 T every 3 games this year. Recording them has helped to realize when they help the game, and when they're excessive - something that helped me tonight to not inflame a team by calling a T (that probably should have been called) right at the end of a championship game.
The only place I don't keep track is in the rec games I work. I'd need a stenographer.

ref18 -- if those technicals were in rec games, then I wouldn't worry about the numbers. Those guys get most of their hoops from the NBA, where technicals flow like Gatorade. When rec players act up the T's start flowing.

--Rich
Old Thu Mar 11, 2004, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

Rainmaker

Is there any chance I could make a post where every word isn't totally dissected???? You sound like Bill Clinton, "it depends what your definition of the word 'should' is." And I'm not judging anyone, I'm just curious. I feel like I'm being attacked by a very sensitive group of folks who run this board, I think I'll call you all the "Politically Correct Officials Forum Protectors." You're always there to make sure no one's feelings get hurt or toes get stepped on, its very sweet of you!!! Have a good day.
Old Thu Mar 11, 2004, 10:17am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Is there any chance I could make a post where every word isn't totally dissected???? You sound like Bill Clinton, "it depends what your definition of the word 'should' is." And I'm not judging anyone, I'm just curious. I feel like I'm being attacked by a very sensitive group of folks who run this board, I think I'll call you all the "Politically Correct Officials Forum Protectors." You're always there to make sure no one's feelings get hurt or toes get stepped on, its very sweet of you!!! Have a good day.

If you can't take the heat, stay out of the kitchen. This is a discussion board. It's not mandatory that we have to agree with everybody else. You aren't that sensitive to criticism when you referee, are you? Everybody that comes here is allowed to give their own point of view. If that happens to disagree with your point of view, oh well.....
Old Thu Mar 11, 2004, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Re: Rainmaker

Quote:
I don't think you can say she "dissected" any word in particular. The tone of her post was more in line with "judgemental" - maybe reword your first sentence to say "Is there any chance I could make a post where my message is not critically judged????" Or something like that.

BTW, I'm left wondering why you need to qualify "dissected" with the word "totally". Doesn't "dissected" strongly imply an act which is done in totality? Maybe not...what do you think Juulie? Can we actually dissect something partially?
Old Thu Mar 11, 2004, 10:37am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
[/B]
Can we actually dissect something partially?

[/B][/QUOTE]I'm willing to try with you.

Old Thu Mar 11, 2004, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Can we actually dissect something partially?

[/B]
I'm willing to try with you.

[/B][/QUOTE]

Old Thu Mar 11, 2004, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

I'm the sensitive one???

Too many softies on this board!!!!!! Yes, Dan - You can partially disect something. And on second thought, if I want to judge someone - I will - even if it makes the softies upset. 19 T's is too many, unless you're working a goofy City Men's League or the NBA. That's my opinion, and I'm most always right. Now I'm stirring the pot!!!!
Old Thu Mar 11, 2004, 10:56am
In Memoriam

Re: I'm the sensitive one???

Quote:
19 T's is too many, unless you're working a goofy City Men's League or the NBA.

And what do you base your opinion on? Do you know all of the circumstances surrounding these T's? Please tell us why these T's weren't warranted. I'd sure like to know.
Old Thu Mar 11, 2004, 11:02am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Too many softies on this board!!!!!!

Viagara for everybody!!!!!

Well, maybe not Juulie.....
Old Thu Mar 11, 2004, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yes, Dan - You can partially disect something.
Sorry, we have a number of folks here who are field qualifed as "Language Expert" but you are not one of them. I can only accept this response for what it is - the opinion of a layman.
Old Thu Mar 11, 2004, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

Jurassic

19 flippin' T's?????? If it is legitimate basketball, I can not imagine how it is possible. To get that many coaches heated up is hard work, I don't know how an assignor would give you games if you gave out that many T's - how many of those were given because of a completely wrong coach who was upset for no apparent reason? I bet 7 tops. The other 12 were probably a result of various reasons, including working 200 games!! I bet my trigger would get short if I worked that much as well. Boy, I'm having trouble handling the heat in this kitchen!!! Be good. Good luck to you all in your State Tournaments.

I'm a teacher, a ref and a laymen