The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 25, 2004, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

Saw this posted on another forum, looked in the case book at 9.9.1 and couldn't find anything definite on this play. The closest i could get was 9.9.1.a

Any help?

"If a player is in the frontcourt and jumps backcourt to receive a pass from a player in the backcourt, but he is still in the air when he receives the pass, is this a backcourt violation? I saw this last night, I was sitting on the half-court line and I thought the ball never left the backcourt nor broke the plane. I always thought the rule was basically everything across, ball and both feet of player, and nothing back. My guess is there is more to the rule than that because the call was made by one of the better officials around in my opinion."

[Edited by eyezen on Feb 25th, 2004 at 01:57 PM]
Old Wed Feb 25, 2004, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by eyezen
Posted on another forum, looked in the case book at 9.9.1 and couldn't find anything definite on this play.

Don't really need a casebook play on this one, it's pretty easy to figure out. Take it step-by-step. . .

For a backcourt violation, we need 4 things, right? They are:

1) team control
2) frontcourt status
3) Team A is last to touch before it goes backcourt
4) Team A is first to touch after going backcourt.

So, in your play. . .

Quote:
If a player is in the frontcourt and jumps backcourt to receive a pass from a player in the backcourt, but he is still in the air when he receives the pass, is this a backcourt violation?

There is passing going on, so we have team control (unless it's a throw-in pass). There's #1. When the player jumped from the frontcourt, he had frontcourt status. So when he catches the ball, the ball also has frontcourt status. That's #2. But that's all we have. So no violation at this point.

However, if the player then lands in the backcourt with the ball, #3 and #4 will both be met at the same time. And so, we'd have a violation.

Quote:
I always thought the rule was basically everything across, ball and both feet of player, and nothing back.
This person thought wrong, that's all.
Old Wed Feb 25, 2004, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

Clears it up, Thanks.
Old Wed Feb 25, 2004, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

Further, the "plane" has absolutely nothing to do with it
and three points is only an issue when the ball is being dribbled.
Old Wed Feb 25, 2004, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

Well that was broken down quite explicitly. Nice job chuck.
Old Wed Feb 25, 2004, 04:36pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
Quote:
Originally posted by eyezen
"If a player is in the frontcourt and jumps backcourt to receive a pass from a player in the backcourt, but he is still in the air when he receives the pass, is this a backcourt violation?"
I made this exact call not too long ago in a JV girls game. The coach was in complete disbelief because he simply didn't understand the rule. (It just so happened that I made the call right in front of him.) I wish I had Chuck there to explain it to him in such clear terms...
Old Tue Mar 02, 2004, 01:49am
Official Forum Member

It amazes me how many people don't understand this play.
I made the same call in a summer tourney prior to this season. The coach, who is the president of the local coaches association thought I was wrong during the game, and had incorrectly penalized his team. He had confused this play with what can legally take place on a throw-in, and politely asked me about it after the game. I discussed both situations with him and explained the rulings. That's one better-informed coach.

The message is getting out, it's just a long educational process.
Old Tue Mar 02, 2004, 01:56am
Official Forum Member

Made this call on Saturday. Coach shook his head at me. Club basketball and I didn't have the inclination to explain every call much less this one.
Old Wed Mar 03, 2004, 01:08am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BoomerSooner
Remember though, this doesn't apply to the jump ball or a defensive player. Have seen backcourt called on a defensive player jumping from his own frontcourt intercepting a pass and landing backcourt (not a violation). Assuming I'm correct I think this is something that puts us in a tough situation when based on essentially the same action the rule is applied differently depending on who makes the play.