The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 14, 2004, 02:23am
Official Forum Member

Smile

Girls 4A Varsity tonight. Team B has a girl who is very tall and... shall we say... a little rotund. I notice she has her shirt untucked right away. Make her tuck it in right?

But then I sense that she is keeping it untucked to avoid having to have a tight shirt that shows how big her belly is. So, living in liberal Washington State, I show my sensitive side and let her have it untucked all night.

What's next?

Z
Old Sat Feb 14, 2004, 03:28am
Official Forum Member

I have seen several high school girls' teams that wear jerseys that are meant to be untucked. Perhaps this was one of those?
Old Sat Feb 14, 2004, 05:42am
Official Forum Member

I've done the same thing, zebraman. Let's never forget that these are boys and girls. They have enough issues to deal with in school.
Old Sat Feb 14, 2004, 08:12am
Official Forum Member

Why didn't I think of that?

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman

But then I sense that she is keeping it untucked to avoid having to have a tight shirt that shows how big her belly is. So, living in liberal Washington State, I show my sensitive side and let her have it untucked all night.

What's next?

Z
I'll tell you what's next. . .you just game me the perfect excuse for not tucking in my stripes any more!
Old Sat Feb 14, 2004, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by zebra44
I've done the same thing, zebraman. Let's never forget that these are boys and girls. They have enough issues to deal with in school.
AMEN!!!
Old Sat Feb 14, 2004, 07:16pm
Official Forum Member

It's posts like these that allow me to step back from time to time to take a much broader look at the picture. Take a deep breath or two and appreciate my fellow 'avocators', the players and others involved in this great game and go down the road and have a better day than I might have.

Thanks.
Old Sun Feb 15, 2004, 02:20am
Official Forum Member

Had a sitch this morning where I thought of the wording, "These kids have enough to deal with." 6th grade boys rec ball. Each team is a mixture of very talented with, uh, let's say, less experienced. Every kid must, by league rule, play at least one half. Before the game started, I told one player that he needed to take off his white T-shirt (being worn under a dark green jersey). Pretty soon, I noticed him sitting on the bench crying, and the coach talking earnestly to him. I sort of went "to the table" to eavesdrop. The coach was very kindly and warmly trying to talk the kid out of sitting out the game. I don't know what the kid's issues were, although part way through the game I saw him mother giving him the eyeball, and felt kinda sorry for the kid. I think he didn't like the way the jersey looked on him without the T-shirt. I went into the little room where the various rec league stuff is stored and shuffled through the lost and found until I uncovered a dark T-shirt I took it to the coach and he was able to convince the kid to wear it and play. When the kid first entered the game, I noticed his shirt was completely untucked, but I just didn't have the cold-blooded thing going today, and I let it go. I also told the coach, quietly at a dead ball, to not sweat the tucking thing. After seeing how upset the kid was, and that mother, I figured he had enough to deal with already.
Old Sun Feb 15, 2004, 04:06am
Official Forum Member

Maybe I'm a hard@$$. I had a similar looking girl in an earlier game and I kept insisting that she get the shirt tucked in. I was actually thinking that this is not my fault the school doesn't have a jersey that fits her. I knew why she was letting it come out. I'm normally fairly sensitive but I kept thinking that this could bite me in the butt if I asked another girl to tuck it in.

comments?
Old Sun Feb 15, 2004, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Had a sitch this morning where I thought of the wording, "These kids have enough to deal with." 6th grade boys rec ball. Each team is a mixture of very talented with, uh, let's say, less experienced. Every kid must, by league rule, play at least one half. Before the game started, I told one player that he needed to take off his white T-shirt (being worn under a dark green jersey).
Why make him take off the T-shirt? That is unless his league has specific rules on dress.

On Saturdays I do rec games for my association and the approach we all take is call the game not the little nits. The kids are there to have fun so why should one care what they have on? For my own rec league, which I do on Sundays, the only dress rule we have is that the kid must wear a jersey and even that rule can be waved by the senior official of the game.

Please, please don't take this as an attack on you but these are kids, just kids in a rec league not some HS game covered by the NFHS.
Old Sun Feb 15, 2004, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Why make him take off the T-shirt? That is unless his league has specific rules on dress.

Please, please don't take this as an attack on you but these are kids, just kids in a rec league not some HS game covered by the NFHS.
[/B]
HHHmmmmm, because its the RULE. And the reason its the rule is to prevent the confussion of a player throwing the ball to the opponent by mistake.

This is an easy one. While I don't see it very often, I've never had any player or coach say anything. Its funny, we had this the other night. My partner caught it as soon as the player entered. No problem, the player had the shirt off as quick as you can say....well, it was so fast, I don't think anyone even noticed.
Old Sun Feb 15, 2004, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RecRef
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Had a sitch this morning where I thought of the wording, "These kids have enough to deal with." 6th grade boys rec ball. Each team is a mixture of very talented with, uh, let's say, less experienced. Every kid must, by league rule, play at least one half. Before the game started, I told one player that he needed to take off his white T-shirt (being worn under a dark green jersey).
It IS the rule in this league, and it is emphasized quite heavily. It helps the kids, as Bart says, and it also helps the refs differentiate the teams. All the coaches know the rule, and the other six kids I had talked to that day didnt have any problem with it. If they are going to wear a T under their jersey, they carry one of each color (all the teams in this league are green and white) and just wear which ever. We don't pick nits at this level, and try to let the kids play, but this one rule and a couple of others are particularly important to the baord, so we try to stick to it.
Old Sun Feb 15, 2004, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

Ok, it’s your rules and so be it in your games.

BTW, I don’t for one-second buy the argument that Brad puts forward that it will prevent the confusion of a player throwing the ball to the opponent by mistake. How many sq. inches of green jersey shirt vs. whiteT-shirt is the thrower looking at when he is about to throw? Speaking of such things it time to leave for the gym.
Old Sun Feb 15, 2004, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

Tuck it in. It's the school's problem, or her problem, that she doesn't have a jersey that fits. That's not my problem.

Are you going to allow the girl who got her ears pierced that day to keep the earrings in because "the holes will close up," but disallow everyone else from wearing earrings?

It's all part of the uniform. Tough. Overweight officials have to keep their shirts tucked in...
Old Sun Feb 15, 2004, 02:54pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Earrings are a safety issue, and the holes won't close up in an hour. If so, then she shouldn't have gotten the ears pierced during BBall season.
I don't see the safety issue with tucking the shirts in. I frankly don't think this rule is that big a deal. (I enforce it, but would rather not.)
Old Sun Feb 15, 2004, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TriggerMN
Tuck it in. It's the school's problem, or her problem, that she doesn't have a jersey that fits. That's not my problem.
So when I start the National Fund to Buy Well-Fitting Uniforms for overweight players who attend school in impoverished districts where the roof leaks, and teachers have to work in storage rooms, you'll be the first to make a contribution?