Thread: A weighty issue
View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 16, 2004, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

Ok, i am not going to try and be the a$$ here and I hope I say this proper as I do not want to offend anyone. I know i am the new guy but I run into this alot in baseball/softball too.

I agree that it is a rule, and rules where meant to be inforced. That is why we are out there! Exspecially with the kids. Kids now a days are given to many reason to break rules. Kids also tend to to test the waters and see just how far they can go before something is said or done. Not just in sports but in life also.

Now i am not a cold hearted person and do understand that there are kids and teams and communities that do not have the money to make sure everyone has a perfectly fitting uniform.

But what I would do is politley pull this child over to the side with the coach and politically explain that we do have a rule about keeping the shirt tucked in. I would also explain that i understand the situation and what i would ask is that she just try to keep it tucked in the best she can and during dead balls I would kindly remind her and to not feel that I was " getting on her" about it. That i would just help her to try and remeber to tuck it in now and then.

I am a firm believer that rules are in place for a reason and every attempt should be made to adhere to them. But i also believe that kids whether poor or wealthy should get every opportunity to play.

Two years ago, I had a young man, about 12 years old. I was umpiring his baseball game. I was behind the plate. I noticed him at the begining of the game sitting on the bench with his glove on cheering on his team. After a couple of innings i asked the coach why he wasnt playing? Coach said because his parents didnt have the money to get him a uniform but he wanted to be part of the team so they put him on the roster and let him sit on the bench with his friends.

well the uniform rule in that league was not real strict, basically the shirts had to be matching colors with a number, shirts had to be tucked, hats must be worn properly and the must wear some type of sports shoe.

Well this team had white shirts with pin strips, So in talking with the coach, the coach really wanted to play him but other officials wouldnt let him play because he didnt have a matching shirt. I said well that is easily fixed in this situation.

So I went to my bag pulled out an extra, white T shirt that i always carry, went back to the concesion stand and got a black marker and put a number on the back of the shirt. Went to the kids parents and explained to them that if they would let him wear this shirt he could play in the game. They agreed and that was probably the happiest little man i have seen in a long time.

So i guess the moral to this book is that Yes we need to inforce the rules as they are written. But as an official you can also take that extra step to see that a kid that wants to play can play.

Again, Hope i didnt say anything to offend anyone I am at work and typing faster than my brain works... =)

[Edited by jcarter on Feb 16th, 2004 at 09:22 AM]