Thread: A weighty issue
View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 16, 2004, 06:04pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by TriggerMN
If the roof was leaking and the teachers worked in storage rooms, I'd hope that the school district would put more money towards fixing those problems first, and think of athletics second. It's not the officials' faults the player is overweight. Your sarcasm, as usual, is noted.
Trigger, if I offended you, I'm sorry. Usually, the smart remark doesn't come quickly to mind, so my bite-my-tongue reflex is not well developed. I should have thought more carefully before I got so snippy. I'm just feeling touchy about the tax system here. In Portland, money doesn't go to fixing the roof, OR the athletics, and the uniforms are pathetic unless the kids can pull off a fundraiser, or some parents chip in. In the poorest couple of schools, this means that the uniforms are just plain awful. Even varsity doesn't always have matching unofirms, and seldom do they all fit even remotely. JV and freshmen are lucky if they have real jerseys, and haven't settled for T-shirts. It's not the officials fault, but it would be our fault to not let someone play because they are a bit overweight, and can't keep their shirt tucked.

Whew -- I'll get off the soapbox now